Federal Air Marshal Service - another agency going to the G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gordo-L, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Gordo-L

Gordo-L

Not surprising that the FAMS selected the G19 over the Sig P320. It was one or the other piggy-backing on a federal contract, but another win for Glock. Almost odd that Sig was selected as the ammo supplier, but with the FBI and CBP going to Glock, this makes perfect sense.

2. rock_castle

rock_castle "Give me liberty or give me death!"

I'd think they would go with the G26 since its easier to conceal.

Pandaz3, Schrag4, boilergonzo and 2 others like this.

3. BillG174

BillG174

The 19 holds 15 rounds compared to the 26 holds only 10 rounds. Also the 19 has more of a full finger grip where the 26 has a 2 finger grip. I carry a G17.4 IWB and have no trouble concealing with no printing.

PaulD'71, Maxx702, Gray_Rider and 7 others like this.
  4. rock_castle

Of course. I have a couple 19s and two 26's and the 19 prints and the 26 does not. You can't cheat physics.

10or45, Gray_Rider, Quigley and 5 others like this.
  5. Teecher45

Teecher45

I agree rock, for them the 26 seems to would have been a better fit. With a 17 round mag (or 2) as backup.
    But, it’s hard to argue against the 19.
    I have a G-45 and a 27 (I know, wrong caliber). But the point is, the 27 gets carried much more often because of the size. It’s so easy to carry it I don’t have the need for a single-stack pistol.
    The 45 only gets carried when the sweatshirts/jackets come out. The 27 can be discreetly carried about anytime.
    Which would seem beneficial to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gordo-L

Gordo-L

There are no issues with concealement. For the mission, it's all about shot placement, and a G26 isn't going to come out on top there. The G19 is the right choice to replace the P229.

7. rock_castle

Actually, many shoot better with the 26 than the 19. Regardless, why isn't concealment an issue? Don't the Marshals dress like ordinary passengers and travel incognito? I'm a frequent flyer and it seems to me that concealment would be an important consideration in that situation. Please elaborate if you can. Thanks.

ChrisJn, Teecher45 and Quade like this.
  8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I am surprised they did not go with the G32. (.357 Sig)

:cool:

March817 likes this.
  9. hogarth

hogarth

Well, if you're such a frequent passenger, how often did you "make" a FAM when they were carrying P229s, which are larger and heavier than a 19?

I shoot the 26 as well as the 19, pure accuracy. But my follow-up shots are demonstrably slower on the timer. It's a slightly lighter gun with less surface area to grip. Physics.

Also, USSS has switched to the 19 as well.

10. 1L26

1L26

Based on what I'm aware of I think the G19 is probably a great fit. I'm surely not a 9mm guy but the G19 is probably the right tool for their mission.

11. Rock2411

Rock2411

I disagree. The G26 may shoot okay on a static range but the added grip and sight radius will generally do better in dynamic shooting.

Gray_Rider and JBP55 like this.
  12. rock_castle

You're right, I never have. But, I've heard that less than 1% of flights have a marshal on them, so the odds are that I've probably never been on a flight with one.

13. hurley842002

hurley842002

I don't have any experience with the FAM, but I've met regular Marshall's at a major airport for prisoner pickup, and what I can say is, I'm glad we were wearing uniforms because we couldn't pick them out of a lineup, they concealed everything VERY well including the prisoner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. uofaengr

uofaengr

Oh my, how will they ever make precise shots on a plane with that awful Glock trigger... :rolleyes:

Papa D, sixgun2, kjphilippona and 4 others like this.
  15. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Did a little googling

I bet it’s a Gen 5 19 MOS

IAhunter and Quade like this.
  16. Bluescot

Bluescot

Interesting selection on going with the Sig ammo.

Do you know the details of that ammo selected ???

Gray_Rider likes this.
  17. Scott60

Scott60

A better choice for concealed carry on an airplane would be the Kahr P9. It's not the smallest Kahr, but the G19 makes it look diminutive. The P9 is an inch and a half shorter in length, 1/2" shorter in height, over 1/3" thinner and almost 7 ounces lighter! The give up is 8 rounds versus the Glock's 16, but then, outside of a hollyweird movie, there aren't many all-out, running gun-battles on-board commercial air carriers.

The Kahr has a full, three-finger grip for excellent control. Clearly, where concealment matters, the company that lead - and still leads the single-stack market is superior to the Glock. The P9 is smaller even than the G26 save for grip length, and smaller, thinner, and lighter than the G43, while holding 8 rounds versus the G43's seven.

The Kahr PM9 is even smaller! The G43 is "YHUGE" next to the PM9, and they hold equal shots.

The gargantuan Sig P320 "sub-compact" doesn't even merit comparison.

18. triaxle

triaxle

A Kahr would not even be in the game , G19 is the best choice for this job .

19. Rick James45

Rick James45

I use to fly a lot. I have clocked a few marshals. The most humous one was in a bar after security. Guy was dressed pretty normal, but the pocket clip blade in his front pocket stuck out like crazy. I just casually struck up a conversation and then very quietly acted stupid and said "I did not know you could get those through security?". He was super cool and super embarrassed. He rectified and all was well. What surprised me is this was a busy airport and no one else noticed?

G19 is an excellent choice.

Don't poop on the Kahr in general. PM9 / K9 are in my primary pool along with 26/19/23. But, the 19 I think is the right tool for the job.

20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Not surprising new, they’re just following in the Secret Service’s footsteps, just like last time.

Gordo-L and fastbolt like this.