close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FED bans commercial drivers texting

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Carolina Drifter, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

2. Zatec

Zatec

Thats been NY for some time now...........misery love company.:whistling:

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Thing is there is what is known in MN as "DISTRACTED DRIVING" Thing is some folks can't drive and chew gum at same time. (shouldn't drive IMO) Others can't talk to others in car, change vent,radio,mirrors and drive. I take a few minutes in any new (to me) car/truck/van/etc. BEFORE I start driving. I want to know where dimmer/wipers/lights/vent/etc before I hit the road.
    THEN I can drive and adjust controls and even make phone calls safely.

You do realize the groups that will be exempted from this? (those that enforce it)

4. WarCry

WarCry

Perhaps it has something to do with:

Or maybe it was:

While I'd like to say Federal laws shouldn't be needed, the state laws haven't seemed to help. The federal law is for commercial vehicle operators, not individuals in privately owned vehicles. When common sense fails, then laws come into to being. If people would have done the right thing to start with, none of it would have been needed.

5. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I can't wait for the talking on cell phone while driving ban...

6. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

The shame of it all, is that you actually have to pass a law telling someone.......anyone......that it's unsafe to text while driving.

And yet you'll still have those convinced they can do it while others shouldn't. That they cause accidents all the way home doesn't mean squat to them, if they even know.

We are such a stupid lot.

7. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Oh goodie, another reason for the revenue agents too hassle us. They will say "I saw you ...." even though you were not doing .....

The industry gets flooded with former Ford/GM employees that went to truck driving school and now this is the latest headache we have. If they would enforce the laws they already have, like no distracted driving the world would be a better place.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. goldenlight

goldenlight

I NEVER use my cell phone while driving my car.

Once, I got a phone call while driving downtown. The only place nearby to pull over to answer the call was a freeway entrance ramp, well off on the grass.

Sure enough, a State Patrol car pulled up behind me, with his lights on. He ran my plates, came up to my door and asked for my ID and insurance card.

I told him why I was there, and all he said was "be careful when you pull back into traffic'.

He barely looked at my DL and insurance card. I'm sure I could have gotten a ticket for stopping where I did.

I try to drive safely, but I have gone over the line fooling with my radio/CD player. Driving while on the phone is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

9. PBCounty

PBCounty

Dumb.

Just enforce reckless / distracted driving laws. What next? A law against eating a Whopper Jr. w/cheese and extra pickles while driving? We're getting too technical.

10. PBCounty

PBCounty

Then ban listening to or manipulating the AM / FM radio as well as the communication radio and talking to passengers.......let's be consistent.

11. smullen

smullen

I always use a headset when I talk on the cell in the truck... Cell sits in a holder, I don't even have to look at it to answer or hangup... I wait till at a stoplight or something to dial if I need too...

12. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I got news for some of you, thats nothing compared to what some of the Truckers do on the road currently. From self pleasuring themselves to pron to using their empty plastic soda bottle as a driving restroom and throwing it over the side. I get tired of seeing those yellow filled Gatorade bottles on the side of the road.

I would hope some of this daily activity would stop. Texting while driving, they can stop that too.

13. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Wait until they ban the police from using their radios while driving. :rofl:

14. PBCounty

PBCounty

Nevermind.....bad strike.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I absolutely hate legislating common sense. If people are that stupid, when they are caught they should be immediately stripped of their CDL.

IGF

16. paul45

paul45

Unfortunately you are correct. However, your observation is narrow minded. I can match you point for point EASILY with all the disgusting behaviors I have seen from 4 wheelers in my 22 years of trucking.

Disgusting behavior can be found in any "group" of motorists, not just truckers.

17. Bearcat06

Bearcat06

Hawaii and DC already passed bills outlawing it.

Not sure what fine is in DC....but if you get caught out here, it's 25 bucks a pop......

18. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Already banned in many European countries.

However the Big Mac lobby in the US would certainly prevent any such measure....as such a ban unfairly impact low-income/minority/veteran/disabled/gay/Christian/Muslim/vegan groups...it's for the children you know. The poor, starving children.

19. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

The Fed chose CDLs because it's the only "group" they have jurisdiction over.

Interestingly:
    I'd say America has got its head in the sand when it comes to its abilities behind the wheel. By the way, that stat hold pretty static (usually trending up, not down) regardless of the American sample pool you ask. NJ's study was just the first one I found.

Anyone who honestly believes that texting (talking on the phone, eating a sammich, pleasuring ones self) while driving is AS safe as not doing so should be taken out to the town square and shot for criminal stupidity.

It's right up there with drunk driving or firing a handgun into a house randomly. You can get away with it with out injury most of the time but, it's still not "safe" by any stretch of the imagination.