close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fed 308

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by jetsfan-24, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24

i got 19 box,s of 24 per box of 180 grain fed hi shot 4 one hundred and 60 dollars but it was made in 1995 was it a good deal and is the brass good two reload ?

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Federal rifle brass is s bit soft. Even worst it's thin in the case head. This causes the primer pockets to expand and to get too loose.

3. Brucev

Brucev

I am not sure the exact quantity of ammunition you bought, but it sounds like you bought a total of 19 x 24 = 456 rounds at $180 total for a per round price of 39.5 cents per round. For hunting ammo that is a very good price. For just shooting/plinking, look around and find some surplus ball ammo. It will be about the same price. You can reserve the hunting ammo for deer season... that much will last you many years.

If you want to reload the brass you need to look carefully at the fired brass to make sure it is in good condition. Over the years I have used a lot of Fed. brass with good results. However, beginning around 2000 I noted that Federal .308 brass was not as strong as I would have expected. Often I could only get two reloads out of a batch of brass. My loads were mild and fired in a good quality Remington bolt action rifle. If you notice primers are seating with less pressure, you can figure the primer pocket has expanded. In that case, the brass is basically beyond use. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

4. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24

the 160 dollars was total tax incu do u think the brass is still good two reload being it,s from 1995 ?

5. jetsfan-24

jetsfan-24

thanks 4 the help the 160 dollars were total tax incl do u think the brass would b good teo reload being that it,s from 1995

6. Brucev

Brucev

I would take the boxes of ammunition and organize it in terms of the lot number, which is usually stamped on the box flap. If it is all one lot number, fine. Just sight in with a box or two and then save the rest for hunting. For target shooting/plinking, find some boxer primed brass and reload. If the ammo has several lot numbers, that that lot number that has the fewest number of rounds and use it to sight in. Then use the rest for hunting. Either way, it will take years for you to use it up. If you want to use the ammo for shooting, then organize it by lot numbers, sight in the same way and enjoy shooting. Is the brass usable/good quality? In 1995 I bought a new Remington .308 VS-SF. In the first three years I fired several thousand rounds of home loaded ammunition. I used Rem., Win., and Fed. brass. All of it worked just fine. I do recall that sometime after 2004 I got 100 Fed. Gold Match .308 brass which did not give good results... i.e., primer pockets opened up after only two maybe three loads. As my loads were mild, I pitched the brass and went back to using Reminton. If you want to use the ammo for just recreational shooting, then head for the range! Have fun and collect your brass. Then prepare your brass as normal, load it up and go shooting. If you only get two reloads for the cases, it's not the end of the world. However if you want to have brass that will last a long time, you might be better served in the future to look at Winchester or Remington. Also Lake City (U.S.G.I.) brass is of excellent quality and has always given me very good results. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.