close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FDE model, generation and caliber consultants wanted!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SuperSport, Jun 13, 2012.

1. SuperSport

SuperSport

Hey folks,

Been infatuated with the FDE colorway in both the gen 3 & 4 models. With availability getting harder to find looks like there's going to be another run. Through my readings and asking LGS it seems to be around the Sept thru Nov window.

I've been combing through historical threads trying to help me decide on a few things hopefully you folks can help me with. Who better to ask than glock enthusiasts?!

1) Gen 3 vs. Gen 4. I know this has been heavily discussed as well with the 'imperfections'. I personally like the feel of the generation 4. Ok, got that nailed. But nothing against gen 3 and wouldn't mind owning one. Your take?

2) Caliber. FWIW all 3 of my pistols are 9mm flavor. Been shooting 9mm for almost 20 years and since seeing the OD and newer FDE colorway release I'm contemplating .40 S&W as an option if buying a new FDE gun. I've shot 40 cal before but not for long periods of time (neighbors pistol) and it obviously had more pop but not too bad. 40 Ammo cost is obviously more than 9mm and for plinking can be about $5 bucks more per box/50. Brand/grain/shipping/tax may vary. Would more than likely buy at gunshows (love that about Phoenix) and go bulk of at least 500 at a time. Standard price for 500, 9mm brass, 115 & 124 grain is $90 + tax. Not exact on 40 cal. I’m guessing plus 50 bucks?

3) Model. Of the 3 I own: G26 gen 2, G19 gen 2 and H&K P30 (I know, sorry I strayed). If I go 40, I'm thinking G23. Mainly because it's kinda like a mid-size car - not too big not too small. The 9mm/357 barrel conversion sounds tempting and makes sense to pinch pennies for plinking. Or not?

If I stay 9mm then I'm really stumped on model. Since I have gen 2's perhaps a newer g19? Or a G17? I enjoy carrying the g26 and in my mind don't need another g26.

Lastly, another option is to find a used one and have it cerakoted. There's a guy locally that does it and quoted me $100 for just cerakoting the frame (includes R&R Remove and Reinstall parts). I think add $30 for slide.

Main purpose: Hobby, home & personal protection.

Sorry long winded but my goal was to paint a vivid picture with details so folks can answer appropriately.

Regards,
    Edward

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Maybe a G34 or a G35. I like the G34 better but admittedly I have a couple .40 pistols other than Glocks. As you know 9mm is generally less money. On the other hand sometimes having a different caliber can be nice when you want to shoot and there is an ammunition shortage and you cannot get whatever is your favorite caliber.

3. SuperSport

SuperSport

Thanks Bruce. Haven't considered the G34 or 35.

You make a good point and that's part of my debacle. Stay with what I got or add variety?