close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FC5 -> FC6 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dandapani, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani

I just upgraded in place from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora Core 6, in place, and it was pretty much a non-event. Everything seems to be working as before. The fonts seem a bit improved in FF, however. (I've got an LCD screen, btw.)

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I downloaded the FC6 isos.I haven't tried them yet.I have Red Hat 4 right now but Fedora has always been a problem on my hardware.Some hardware is never properly detected and during partitioning I must force the partitions to be primary.RHEL has never given me those problems.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Which FC did you try first? I went from RH9 to FC3 and it went well. FC3 was the first to be able to handle my nVidia MOBO and inbuilt h/w natively.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I've tried nearly every version of Fedora since the begimning.A few others OS's based on Fedora worked but had different installers.i'm building a new PC this month and I'll try FC-6.I might even try the PowerPC version on a dual core G5 Mac.RHEL has given me the least trouble.It seems a bit out of date these days though.I find Suse 10.1 works really well but is the least un-Linux looking.That might be a good trhing for a desktop system.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I may mess around with FC6 when I get some free time. Problem is, free time isn't to available to me right now.. ;) My next project is to update Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper to 6.10 Edgy. Seems a lot of the bugs have been getting worked out fairly quickly, but again, I gotta get some free time..

IGF

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

I'm an old Un*x hack so I like the RH/FC lineage of Linux. I used to run FreeBSD before Linux, but they didn't keep up with the needs of desktop users like Linux did at the time. I have no idea where FBSD is these days wrt desktop usability.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

FreeBSD is pretty current with Linux as far as open source desktop software.It falls behind in commercial software and deskop hardware support such as webcams,printers,scanners,cameras and wireless devices.

I just installed Linux Mint on one PC to try it out.It's Ubuntu 6.10 with all of the plugins and codecs preinstalled.I once tried the previous verson and it had a lot of problems.They claim they've fixed it now.

8. Dandapani

Dandapani

Yup. My problem exactly.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper, to 6.10 Edgy... Thus far, no real difference. Not sure what all the hubbub was about.

Obligatory Screenshot... ;)

[​IMG]

10. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

[​IMG]

Things will get better man! No need to commit suicide by Billy Ray!!!

:rofl:

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl: :rofl:

XMMS was just rolling through my music file playing random MP3s, so blame XMMS.. :)

IGF