FBI arrest Smith & Wesson Exec & 20 others at Las Vegas SHOT Show

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cobra64, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

"WASHINGTON, Jan 19 (Reuters) - An executive of Smith & Wesson (SWHC.O) and 21 others have been charged with violating U.S. bribery laws after an undercover sting in which federal agents posed as arms-buying representatives of an African defense minister.

The defendants, including a senior Smith & Wesson sales official Amaro Goncalves, were accused of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, or FCPA, and conspiracy to commit money laundering tied to the sale of guns, body armor and other law enforcement equipment.

The FCPA prohibits the payment of bribes to foreign officials in order to secure business contracts.

Twenty-one of the men were arrested in Las Vegas, where they were attending the SHOT Show, a large shooting-sports and hunting convention. The 22nd defendant was arrested in Miami.

"This is one case where what happens in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas," Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer said at a news conference."

Here's the link: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1920007620100120?type=marketsNews

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Future congressman?
    :rofl:

3. marchboom

marchboom

Sounds like something Sen. Harry Reid did a few weeks ago with Nebraska Sen. Nelson and that Louisiana Senator. But I guess the FBI is too busy to arrest this Nevada criminal.

I mean, after all, all Reid was doing was trying to take complete control of the US away from "We, the people".

4. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Wow, I wish I had more information. What did they do to bribe them????

Good point!

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Did anyone else hope the S&W executive was Obama when you saw the title?!?!?

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

The country the fed was from was/is a fake.'08. :rofl:

7. Morris

Morris CLM

Ahh yes, I see the Famous But Incompetent and the Doubts on Justice crews at it again.

Meanwhile, wonder what kind of neato house Landreau is building with her "stimulus"?

ALS Tech provides the less lethal tools and ammo for the fibbies. Guessing a few fibbies have bout from SRT Supply as well.

All dog and pony in my eyes.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Wow, I'd give an LOL if it didn't ring so darn true.

Excellent point. It's disgusting how openly these people commits what most of us consider to be crimes. I miss the old days when they actually made an attempt to hide the corruption. :upeyes:

9. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

From the BBC website. Note they make no mention of "who", but do provide detail regarding the actual bribe.

FBI charges 22 over alleged foreign bribery

Some 150 FBI agents were involved in searches and arrests
    The US has charged 22 executives or employees of security-related firms with conspiring to bribe an African country over a $15m (£9m) arms sale.

Some 150 FBI agents took part in an operation involving a sting, which led to the arrest of 21 suspects in Las Vegas and one in Miami.

Five of those charged are UK nationals and City of London Police were also involved in the operation.

The inquiry involves firms trading in arms and law enforcement equipment.

US justice officials said the charges represented the largest single investigation and prosecution carried out so far under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

The law bars US citizens and companies, as well as foreign people and companies acting in the US, from bribing foreign government officials in order to get or keep business.

According to court documents, the accused engaged in a scheme to pay bribes to the minister of defence for an African country in order to win a portion of a $15m deal to outfit its presidential guard.

But the scheme was part of an undercover operation by the FBI and no minister of defence was actually involved.

As part of the sting, the accused allegedly agreed to pay a 20% "commission" to a sales agent who they believed represented the minister of defence, having been told half of that money would go to the minister.

They then allegedly agreed to create two price quotations in connection with the deal, court documents say, with one representing the true cost of the goods and the other adding the 20% "commission" to it.

The sales agent was in fact an undercover FBI agent.

10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Huh?

Why would we?

11. simmy952

simmy952

It happens in all business sales. In times the way they are, companies are looking to make sales just about any way that they can. Salesman for firetruck companies offer trips to visit plants while the truck is being made. They supply meals and drinks. The cost of that comes from somewhere. I am sure the salesman does not offer that from the goodness of their heart. I just used this as an example. You do the math. Figure 1800 pistols at roughly $400 a pop. Most salesman I know would do about anything to complete a deal like that. Wonder if they targeted S&W and the other companies. Wonder if they went and asked specific companies or if they asked around and these were the only ones that were willing to do business.

12. Mr981

Mr981

+1

The way the dems got 60 votes in the Senate was using this particular model--I'll give you this for that. We should expect the see FBI stings in the US Congress sometime soon?

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If memory serves me correct they found a congress person with money in back of his freezer. What happened? Slap on the wrist or PMITA prison?

'Drew

14. krab

krab CLM

Was Yuri Orlov and his brother Vitaly anywhere to be found ? :supergrin:

15. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Maybe because he owns a chunk of S&W?

He's a shareholder.

16. JimmyN

JimmyN

So there is no African country, there is no Minister of Defense, and there is no $15 milliion.

It sounds like the FBI used their own version of the nigerian scam on them.....

17. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Probably not Vitaly.....

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

18. A6Gator

A6Gator

So THIS is why there was no investigation of the Black Panter voter intimidation case, eh?:supergrin:

19. JohnF

JohnF

All the more reason to hold Shot Show 2011 in China.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's Vegas, so what do you think?

Hookers and blow!!!