FBI Agent Faulted In FISA Report For ‘Significant’ Errors Has Finally Been Identified

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Feb 24, 2020.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"FBI Agent Faulted In FISA Report For ‘Significant’ Errors Has Finally Been Identified

CHUCK ROSS INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER
    February 24, 20208:52 AM ET
    An FBI agent faulted for some of the most significant problems laid out in the Justice Department’s inspector general report on FISA abuse against a Trump campaign associate has been identified.

The New York Times, citing people familiar with the FBI’s Russia probe, identified Stephen A. Somma, a counterintelligence investigator who works out of the bureau’s New York field office, as “Case Agent 1” from the inspector general’s (IG) report.

The IG blasted the FBI for its handling of information used to obtain four surveillance orders against Carter Page, a former Trump campaign aide. “Case Agent 1” is singled in the report as being “primarily responsible for some of the most significant errors and omissions in the FISA applications.”

Somma was involved in multiple aspects of Crossfire Hurricane, the FBI counterintelligence investigation of the Trump campaign. According to the IG report, he was the FBI agent who initially sought a surveillance warrant against Page. Somma pushed for a FISA warrant “almost immediately” after the FBI opened Crossfire Hurricane on July 31, 2016, the IG said.

Somma’s initial request was rejected, but FBI lawyers later approved seeking a FISA warrant on Page after the bureau received information from former British spy Christopher Steele. In his dossier, Steele alleged that Page was a key player in the Trump campaign’s “well-developed conspiracy of cooperation” with the Russian government to influence the 2016 election.

https://amp.dailycaller.com/2020/02/24/case-agent-1-stephen-somma-fisa/ "

Is Somma going under the bus?

NMG26, happyguy and Chui like this.
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

He should be terminated immediately then charged for False swearing, violation of Oath of office and a host of other crimes.

happyguy, captcurly, robhic and 4 others like this.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I know I am beating a dead Horse...but, again...in my experience, it is the FISA Judge who should be outraged...and who should issue an Order To Show Cause, and have the entire bunch standing tall and prepared to offer a reason why they are (all) not in Contempt of Court....but I should hold my breath, right?

4. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Criminal liability here. Violation of Civil Rights. Falsifying of official documents, etc. -More charged than you can shake a stick at.

Loss of retirement as well!

aircarver, narkcop128, robhic and 5 others like this.
  5. peng

peng

I love how the NYT is seen as a valid source when we like what it says.

Not directed at the OP, this is just human nature I guess.

6. PatinAz

PatinAz

So they found a scapegoat?

Chui, NMG26, Henny and 2 others like this.
  7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

The Deep State just leaks to the NYT & Washington Post before information is released to the public in order to put their spin on things.

JFrame, happyguy, Doc McGlock and 3 others like this.
  8. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Sounds good as far as opinion goes, but they have to be able to prove things and the IG report will only initiate a investigation, by the FBI likely, maybe another agency, of a narrow group of individuals. The IG's report is not sufficient by itself.
    I seriously doubt he will lose his retirement, remember part of that is considered community property.

Chui likes this.
  9. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Or, if Somma decides to mitigate his risk of a jail sentence for authoring/filing a false affidavit to obtain a FISA warrant, he might offer to cooperate with Durham's prosecutors, in return for some leniency, by naming names of Bureau higher-ups who directed him on these matters or who otherwise participated in perpetrating this fraud on the FISA court (like tampering with statements in the 302s, etc.)

That said, the downside for him is that one morning he might be found 'Seth Rich-ed' on his front lawn before he can spill all the juicy tidbits under oath in court.

The Deep State don't like snitches, and they tend to receive more than just stitches. :whistling:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  10. Chui

Chui

Many - not all - won’t get what you’re saying.

I concur.

And I’d nail the accused IFF (if and only if) it pans out to be truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Not much will happen.
    Judges and prosecutors assigned to trial will all be democrats.
    Jury foreperson will be a democrat who failed to get elected to political office.
    :)

Chui, DonGlock26 and agtman like this.
  12. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Like you I have been saying the FISA judges should be outraged. They don't seem to be. They just sit back and draw their paychecks as if it's someone else's responsibility to solve the problem.

The question comes to my mind: What does a FISA judge do all day? What does their work day consist of? They have no investigative power. I see them bringing a Latte to the office, dawning their robes. sitting at their bench discussing last night's Seinfeld rerun. If there's an application for warrant a clerk passes it around the bench for the judges to rubber stamp. Then back to BS for the remainder of the day. What does their job entail? Nobody has ask that yet. Where's Graham? Why doesn't he bring them before his Senate committee and ask them what the hell is going on?

I'm of the opinion that the FISA judges were either ignorant or complicit. Ignorance may be excusable - when the FBI and DOJ push something before you, you will tend to believe it. Complicit is just down right scary.

Lt. Donn and agtman like this.
  13. OXMYX

OXMYX

Remember Lois Lerner, the chief of the IRS stating that the targeting of conservative groups by auditing them and disallowing tax free status was the fault of two or three overzealous employees in St Louis.

In Fast and Furious the guns that went into Mexico and became untraceable due to the ATF's incompetence and was the fault of an agent recently (at that time) assigned to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Well, I'm pretty sure they're back from Iraq, anyone in the govt care to interview him or her?

Pandaz3 likes this.
  14. pspez

pspez

Do you want this Sh*t to stop? Firing squad. PERIOD!

Glock Commando and Dave Brubaker like this.
  15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

This is great news! Now we know the next guy who's gonna get off scot-free.

happyguy and Pandaz3 like this.
  16. teeceetx

teeceetx

Jail the muther f'er.

Dave Brubaker likes this.
  17. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Agree! This is what I have been saying in my little sphere. If the judge(s) aren't incensed by their actions then don't hold your breath on anythiing happening. The judge "should" be calling a day of reckoning on all those who participated...but doubt it will ever see the light of day.

happyguy likes this.
  18. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

That may just explain it...[they] are not active "working" judges...my experience was limited to "active" judges, who took their jobs and positions very seriously...whenever a LEO appeared before them and swore to the truth of the contents of a warrant, it was "Their" name on the warrant, it was "Their" reputation on that warrant...I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I ever "Knowingly" falsified the facts to justify a warrant...at the very least, I would have been fired and very likely jailed...how mortifying....locked up in your own jail...no thanks....

19. stk10767

stk10767

This is what I’ve been saying too. I have been before judges dozens of times for search warrants. If I knowingly lied, or knowingly withheld exculpatory evidence I would at a minimum lose my job. And in the County where I work, almost certainly been indicted for misconduct.

20. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

That’s exactly what I thought, “They found their fall guy.”

PatinAz likes this.