close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite writers?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Jack23, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I haven't been around here very long and since I'm always running out of books to read and always on the prowl for names of authors I might want to try, I'd like to ask the following question. I have no doubt that it has been brought up before but it may be good to do this one now and then to pick up some fresh ideas.

Who are some of your favorite authors and what it it about their writing that you enjoy? I'll go first.

Robert B. Parker: His Main Character, Spencer, is your basic 24-hour-a-day smart @$$. He is tough, Cool, and hangs with some interesting characters. Parkers Plots are tight and interesting. Spencer does a lot of cooking and I like that.

John Sanford: He wrote the "Prey" series. His guy is Lucas Davenport. Jaded, burned out, a real hard case. tough, strong, and no clue about women. The good feature about his stories is that the bad guy is always, ALWAYS a real bad guy/gal. makes for a powerful story.

Michael Connelly: Strong plot with creative twists. His guy is a cop gone private eye. Heironomos (Harry) Bosh. Strong stories and the way he fleshes out his characters is great.

Dr. Kathy Reichs: She is a forensic anthropologis for the chief medical examiner of the state of North Carolina, and writer. Puts a lot of science in her stories but she does it in a way that is palatable and adds tremendously to the interest and plots in her stories. She is also good to include pets and give them human-like personalaties and attitudes.

Patricia Cromwell: She, too, writes stories about Medical Examiners and all the gruesome details. She is a crime-writer and has worked fof big news papers and with medical examiners offices.

Carl Hiassin (SP?): He writes mostly about ecological terrorism but he has such a wacky sense of humor and his characters are so outlandish that I had to stop reading his books when other people in the house are trying to sleep. They complain about the laughter.

Elmore Leanord: More Private investigator stuff. His characters are awesome and his dialogue is about as good as it gets

Of course, Stephen King: No need to dwell on the obvious.

Clive Cussler: Global adventure and action, action, ACTION! He wears me out!

Robert R. McCammon: Doomsday, Scorched earth, no prisoners, armageddon type stories. Just a pace or two behind King's "The Stand".

Dave Barry: Humor

Dan Brown: This guy wrote "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Deamons" deeply researces his fascinating subject matter and he writes his stories with absolutely relentless suspense.

James Patterson: His Alex Cross novels are terrific! Every body I know reads every thing they can get by this guy.

Michael Crighton: Diverse plots and subject matter. Powerful intricate plots. Great characters and story development. You never know what you're gonna get...just like that proverbial box of chocolates.

There. I hope I have put a few people that suffer the same problem that I do onto some new names to check out, I also hope that some of you will post up some for me. #wav

2. Another19

Another19

Well, you covered a few that I read, Patterson, Sandford, Hiassen, King, I don't remember if you mentioned Dean Koontz. Some of my favorites don't seem to be too popular around here:

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear - Wrote the Anasazi Mysteries, a trilogy that I loved. It tells the story of a group of Anasazis and simultaneously tells the story of the archaeologists uncovering their ruins. Also wrote a series of books, all titled "People of the ....", starting with People of the Wolf. I need to try it again...

Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston, another duo, I think I got their names right. They wrote Thunderhead (my favorite of theirs), Relic, etc.

Tony Hillerman - I wouldn't call him a "great writer", but I like his characters and stories.

In my younger days I read all of Kurt Vonnegut's stuff and loved it.

I wish Harper Lee had written something else, To Kill a Mockingbird was great.

3. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Yes! I forgot to mention Child/Preston. You might want to check out "Codex" By Douglas Preston. It's a good one for sure.

4. cyriaque

cyriaque Millennium Member

Robert Ruark-The Old Man and the Boy

Ray Bradury-Dandelion Wine

have read both many times and will read them again.

5. cth1911

cth1911

I'm rather new to this forum myself, but I find myself reading the "book rack" section everytime I come here. Does that count?

Louis L'amour- Simple, down to earth Westerns (mostly). The good guy/bad guy, white hat/black hat westerns never seem to grow old to me...

Elmore Leonard- Not only his westerns, but his crime stories, as well. It's funny to see how many of his stories have found their way to Hollywood.

Richard Marcinko- Another guilty pleasure. Even though it seems that he's personally responsible for saving the earth in every story, I still seem to learn something from each one. And, he makes me laugh.

Stephen King- Unlike others that have mentioned him, I don't think he's losing much. If anything, it's just that we've read all of his stuff and have a TON to compare anything new against. If I have any complaint, it's that kids seem to take the spotlight a little too much in his stories. And, they always seem to be wise beyond their years. A little far-fetched, even in this genre.

Koontz- I found that once I stopped comparing him to King, I enjoyed him a heck of a lot more. I just finished Odd Thomas a few weeks ago-great read.

Those are five of my favorite popular fiction writers, there are MANY more.

6. RangerM9

RangerM9

Dan Simmons - The Hyperion Saga (4 books) easily my favorite set of books ever.

Tad Williams - The Otherland series - wow...the man is longwinded, but good.

Frank Herbert - Dune series - a few misses in there, but on the whole, good stuff

Asimov - Foundation, Empire, Robots series, classics

Robert McCammon was mentioned above, Swan Song still floats in my head from time to time even though i read it almost 20 years ago, he had some other great books, and some of his short stories were great!...wish he had not gotten out of writing for so long...but hey, he wanted to raise his family...who can blame him...i hear he is writing again...

Tolkien - enough said

Kim Stanley Robinson - the Mars trilogy (Red Mars is being made into a movie for Sci-Fi Channel right now....i shudder to think of how it will turn out) - his Antartica book was a hoot too.

My stand alone favorite read of the past 10 years...

Neal Stephenson - Crytonomicon.....about 900 pages....and you won't want to skip a single word. His other books are good too, but that one stands out to me.

Humor - Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy will for ever be one of the funniest series of books.

my list could go on...but you are probably already bored....

really suggest you give Cryptonomicon and Hyperion a chance though.

7. Another19

Another19

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite series. You just can't beat the dialogue.

8. Pepe G Boy

Pepe G Boy

I've been a David Morrell fan ever since I read Brotherhood of the Rose.
    The last book of his I read is The Protector. The Sig Sauer 225 and CQC7 by Emerson had stellar billing.

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I don't believe anyone mentioned Jeffrey Deaver, he wrote The Bone Collector and the other Lincoln Rhyme novels. Jonathan Kellerman writes a series of books, I think the main character is Alex Delaware, and they are pretty good too.

I read all the Koontz, King, Patterson, etc. I read some of Robert McCammon's stuff years ago, really great stories, but I can't seem to find them anywhere any more.

10. gilly32

gilly32 Glock 27

Robert Ludlum-International spy thrillers. He passed away a few years ago, but they still use his name on books written by other writers. I am currently reading the Bourne Legacy written by Eric Lustbader under Ludlum's name.

David Morrell- First Blood, Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraternity of the Stone.

Nelson DeMille-Lion's Game, Up Country, my favorite is The Gold Coast, sort of Great Gatsby meets the Godfather.

You can't go wrong with any of these.

11. Norm

Norm

Jeff Cooper, read one of his books and you will know why.

12. Guest

I have read the compete collection of Lee Child books re Jack Reacher, and I have to say I was hooked from page one of the first book, to the last page of the last book.

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in.. They all rock!!
    :)

13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Similar tastes in authors (Douglas Adams, King, L'Amour, Leonard, etc) but will add W.E.B. Griffen, Stephen Ambrose, Orson Scott Card, J. Evanovich (S. Plum series), Capstick, Patrick F. McManus, early Clancy, Wambaugh, John Irving, John Updike, David McCullough, William Manchester, C.S. Forester...
    Hmmmmm. Seems I tend to read manly things written by men. Must find some good female authors that write along similar lines.

14. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

King
    Koontz
    Cussler
    Adams
    Donaldson

15. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

T. Jefferson Parker
    Orson Scott Card
    Robert Ludlum
    Jeff Cooper
    Andy Stanford, Et. al

16. prometheus_222

prometheus_222

Some of my favorite authors:

Robert Ludlum
    Paul Cartledge
    Tom Clancy
    Louis Lamour
    Mario Puzo
    JFC Fuller
    Liddell Hart

17. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Louis L'Amour
    Michael Crichton
    Dan Brown

18. F350Lawman

F350Lawman

Robert Ludlum-International spy thrillers. He passed away a few years ago, but they still use his name on books written by other writers. I am currently reading the Bourne Legacy written by Eric Lustbader under Ludlum's name.

+1;)

19. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

" It's Spenser with an 'S'... like the poet "

;f

Hieronymus Bosch... like the painter!
    ;a

20. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

^2 Thanks for touchin' me up there. Yer right. Spenser would not have been so gentle with the reminder. :cool:

BTW I like your sig. Always remember: Laces OUT! ;f