Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, it wasn't Webley nor Enfield. It was in fact Smith & Wesson Victory model chambered in .38/200 British. It was the most sought after wheelgun among the Commonwealth troops during WW2 and many did trade their Webleys for the American made revolvers. I've read that British Commando units were big on using it, when they had no access to Colt 1911A1. Canadians were lucky to get the S&W's exclusively as they were never issued the top break revolvers. This, particular example was made in the very end of 1944, just before the new style hammer block was introduced. Perhaps that's why it's still in very good condition. Bore looks excellent, lock up is tight and the single action trigger...is a dream. Double action is good, but I've seen better. Despite war production...it's obvious that these revolvers were of very high quality. No wonder the troops were so in love with these. I'm planning to save the grips and replace them with the NC Ordnance made copies for the range use. I also have a NOS barrel that came in the mail today to have one...just in case for the future. I love the smell of this thing! Nothing like a smell of the old gun! Cheers!

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Watcher.
40,692 Posts
Adam,with all due respect.I don't like you at the moment,I had a chance yrs ago and passed.'08. :miff:

Nice grab. :sad:

Reactions: Nestor

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adam,with all due respect.I don't like you at the moment,I had a chance yrs ago and passed.'08. :miff:

Nice grab. :sad:
Hey my Friend,
these are still around. Only problem is to find one in decent enough condition. I've seen one (couple of years ago) that looked like a brand new gun. Perfect parkerizing, like new wood, brand new bore and case hardened trigger and hammer. Price wise it was out of my range...but one can only dream. This is more like a shooter grade and will be used as such. Buffalo Bore makes a defensive ammo in 38S&W that suppose to be safe to fire in these, old revolvers. I may give it a try one day. Thanks!

·
Watcher.
40,692 Posts
I have not seen one,the 1 passed on was pristine/bbl/action ect.I'm an idiot.'08.

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nestor
What does the "P" stand for? Proof?
nice find btw.
Standard proof mark. Not sure though why so many of them as it suppose to be located in one place only (maybe I am wrong).

Reactions: norton

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Neat old revolver but I wonder how effective .38 s&w was.
200 grain bullet was slow and barely stabilized. It was known for tumbling upon the impact on the soft target...so I am guessing it was far more effective than we tend to believe. Unfortunately in typical British fashion, they decided that such bullet was inhumane and started issuing lighter, FMJ ammo.

Reactions: CAcop

·
Lean & Mean
15,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not seen one,the 1 passed on was pristine/bbl/action ect.I'm an idiot.'08.
I would love to find one 1905 4th change in 38 Special with 5" barrel. Like the old, police revolver.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks good! :)

Id leave the grips on there, its where they belong. ;)

Word of warning on NC Ordnance, the fit and quality of their grips arent the greatest. Took me three tries with three different guns to figure that out.

If you just have to swap them out, I found a decent set of repo walnut grips on eBay for a very reasonable price for my 1917. Fit great. They were new looking, and I had to soak them in a tub of linseed oil for about a month to get that nice dark, aged look, to get them to look right though.

I also found a decent set of original grips for my one Victory at Numrich/Gun Parts. And they were quite reasonable as well. You kind of take your chances there with stuff like that, but they matched up real well color wise and werent beat up at all.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Very nice Nestor. Thanks for sharing.

·
woo woo
31,245 Posts
You're probably going to find most 145gr rnl ammo will shoot a bit low if it's anything like my Enfield and sighted for 200gr bullets.
The buffalo bore 125gr did about 900fps from my gun, probably faster in your K frame, which puts it even with with many +p .38sp loads from snubbies.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,031 Posts
Nice find sir, well done.
Enjoy it in health :cheers:.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
200 grain bullet was slow and barely stabilized. It was known for tumbling upon the impact on the soft target...so I am guessing it was far more effective than we tend to believe. Unfortunately in typical British fashion, they decided that such bullet was inhumane and started issuing lighter, FMJ ammo.
That is just stupid!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts