Favorite Red Dot Setup for the S&W 15/22?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by snowcrash75, Feb 19, 2017.

1. snowcrash75

snowcrash75

Don't really feel like doing the Google legwork :)
    What's your favorite (preferably budget) setup for the 15/22?

2. JTB1967

JTB1967

The Bushnell TRS 25 is a pretty good budget red dot.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

For years I've been using a couple dozen inexpensive ($30) BSA Red Dot sights on handguns, rifles and shotguns.
    I had a couple go bad but I've also had a couple high dollar laser sights go bad.

It just so happened when I bought the 15/22 a few ladies wanted me to teach them how to shoot the (223) AR.
    I started them on the 15/22 and just kept feeding them 30 round mags until they were completely comfortable with rifle.
    Then when I gave them the .223 AR they were right at home the first round.

The 15/22 paid for itself in a couple weeks in .223 ammo savings.

15/22 with BSA Red Dot and Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light.
    [​IMG]

I don't recommend anything, especially a $30 sight but I use the BSA on some pretty hot HD guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I was plinking with a BSA equipped Browning lever action 22. :)

BTW, Optics Planet has some good prices.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bsa-optics-30mm-red-dot-sights.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    BC42 likes this.
  4. wirenut

wirenut

Have to say the trs 25 from bushnell works good for me.

papercidal and HammerG19 like this.
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I may have to try one of those.

The funny thing is, a lot of stuff looks like it came off the same assembly line in China. :)

That doesn't mean it's bad. The Chinese are kicking our butts with some high quality very inexpensive stuff now days.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/bushne...plusbox-beta&gclid=CJvJqvT6ntICFYm4wAod7acJdQ

BTW, if you ever order from Optics Planet, type anything in the "Coupon box". OP will reject it and give you a 5% discount coupon number for your order.

6. ede

ede

CMore Railway second choice would be Match Dot

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Something you have to consider, and I'm sure you are, is just how "good" (expensive) a sight do you need?

My Wife use to ask me, when I bought something that seemed too expensive,
    "Are you buying this because you need this expensive a ******, or you buying it just to impress the other Kids at the range?"

If I was taking the Red Dot to War, money would be no object. I'd get the best Red Dot I could find.
    But, we aren't taking our S&W 15/22's to war or (probably) even using them for home defense.

So, the way I look at is, buy something pretty inexpensive. If it breaks, and if it doesn't have a Warranty, you are not out much money and you can look for something a little better (more expensive)

Another thing is, just how well do the cheap sights preform. First thing is, the Red Dot may be a little fuzzy, compared to a high dollar sight. But really not bad.

How well do the cheap sights preform?
    Your buddy might get upset if you beat him and his $400 Aimpoint. :)

I dug out a couple targets shot with different guns to show what the cheap Red Dots will do.

BSA on a Ruger 10/22 Charger pistol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I've been plinking with a very nice little 22 Browning lever action.
    IMO the Red Dot sight is butt ugly on this rifle but it sure shoots nice. :)

[​IMG]

Seven High and Current Resident like this.
  8. 2robinhood

2robinhood

I have the Sightmark Ultra Shot on both of mine and like them very much.

9. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I've got a Primary Arms clone red dot on my 15-22. Works great. I've had it for years. I don't recall the model, but I think it was about $80.

[​IMG]

Current Resident likes this.
  10. steve1911

steve1911

I have Vortex Sparc on my 15-22.

1911club#410

11. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Another vote for Primary Arms. I don't see the one that I have (MD-SP) listed on their website, maybe it's been replaced with this one. Or maybe it's just out of stock. In any case, it has to be pretty comparable to this one @ $90. They also list another at $160. Works great, lasts a long time!

[​IMG]

12. ARP

ARP

Optics planet, I bought a Vortex Strike fire II, it was a dud, right out of the box. Also had a Sight mark reflex that was a dud. What I think happened was I was shipped someone's return that was a dud.

Anyway, the planet optics transaction was weird. Ordered on a holiday weekend, then after I ordered, saw the item was back ordered, so after the holiday, called to cancel and they said "oh, that order was filled and shipped."

Item arrived and sat in the box for longer than 30 days. It was after the 30 day return date, so now I was stuck with a broken RD. Vortex to the rescue with lifetime warranty. Planet optics would not touch the dud product. Just something to consider.

I would have no problem with the Bushnell TR25 or the Sightmark on a low to no recoil .22lr rifle. I went with a Bushnell Trophy red or green multiple reticle sight. Works fine, but next to impossible to do witness with the buis.

Aslan likes this.
  13. CMG

CMG

I've used TruGlo optics over the past 10 years and have never had any issues.

My latest is their Triton model (1x 30mm), with the circle/dot reticle (with red/green/blue illumination) and I've been testing it on a 10/22 but have plans to order another to replace the red dot on my 15-22. It costs ~$50

14. Aslan

Aslan Aslan

Ditto! Great quality at a super price! Mine was 89.00 at a LGS.

15. CMG

CMG

After testing the TruGlo Triton on my 10/22, I put one on my 15-22 as well.

I just like the circle/dot reticle better than just a plain dot.

[​IMG]

16. BC42

BC42

Bushnell TRS 25 on Amazon is $69. The .83" riser will absolute co-witness with ar sights. The 1" riser will do 1/3 co-witness.

I bought one a few years ago as a temporary red dot on my first AR build. It's been passed around on my rifles like a dirty little whore but found a home on top of my PS90 because it sits lower than other red dots. It's a great little sight and after watching some torture tests on YouTube, it was an easy choice.

It's good to see that some guys are having good luck with BSA and Sightmark sights. They had a bad name when I was looking years ago, even as a low end sight, with lots of failures.

I picked up a Holosun HS503CU recently for an AR. It replaced a PA MD06 red dot because it has the EOTech style 65moa circle and 2moa dot reticle (EOTech has a 1moa dot). Holosun's 500 series red dots have this reticle. They also have a 20-50k hr battery life.

17. mrasgt

mrasgt Time to Go....

I've had the trs 25 on my AR through at least two thousand rounds. not a hiccup.
    Now, as others have said, I would'nt go to war with it.

18. BC42

BC42

So 2000 rds and not a hiccup but won't take it to war? Because others don't approve of it? Because it's not $700 with a fancy name on it?

I have about 1500 rds of 5.56/.223 and 5.7x28 on my TRS25 and I'd trust my life with it. It's been that reliable.

19. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

IMG_6248.JPG Primary Arms Advanced Microdot. Battery life is comparable to an Aimpoint T1. To me, it's indistinguishable from a T1.

I have them even on my big Magnums, 460 and 500.

20. dvparrish

dvparrish

I have to admit first that I'm incredibly optics ignorant. When I was in the army unless you were shooting an M1A sniper rifle it was iron sights all the time. Will the optics with weaver mounts work on the picitany rail on the MP15-22?
    I just picked up the rifle today and would like to get a red dot for it.