close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite pieces of cookware

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Aug 12, 2004.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I just bought some new Fiestaware about a month ago and it took me just a few hours before I used it for the first time. I love this stuff--you can put anything on a Fiestaware plate and stick it straight into the oven--it won't explode or break.

My other favorite cooking pieces are my pressure cooker (don't see too many anymore) and my Black and Decker steamer.

I have some Pampered Chef cookstones that live in my oven.

What's your favorite piece of cookware?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

After experimenting with various kitchen implements, I've found three items that are my clear favorites, and all three are el-cheapo:

1. Kiwi 6" chef's knife with a sharp point (there is also a square point version which I don't like). It is made of soft stainless steel, like Japanese knives. It requires that you regularly slide a sharpening steel against its edge, but if you do it, it is razor sharp. I think they cost about $3 each. ;P I bought two of them many years ago. I still have them both and do not use anything else (despite owning a couple of expensive knives).

2. Kiwi mid-sized cleaver. Read above.

3. No-discernible-brand flat-bottom 12" wok/pot/thing with high walls. It is teflon coated. I bought it at an oriental supermarket. I've gone through a few of them in the last several years, and it is by far my primary cooking pot. Superbly useful, and if I forget and burn it, I just get another one (I have a couple of spares :) ). They also sell larger ones up to 20", I think.

3. lwt210

lwt210

It's so hard to narrow it down to just one favorite......we have Calphalon cookware, Henckels cutlery, big KitchenAide mixer.....

but the one thing that I enjoy most is my little cheap Brinkman Smoker grill. Probably the cheapest item of our cullinary toy collection. We fire that puppy up about three times a week nowadays.

A little mesquite, a little meat and a good hot fire is what makes me happy.

The wife would say the mixer in a heartbeat though.

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

My favorite piece of cookware is a 10", very heavy, copper bottomed, non stick skillet that I bought about 10 years ago. All of my pots and pans have metal handles so they can go in the oven. This particular pan with it's copper bottom is still my fav. I also love my 6" Four Star chef's knife, and my Kitchen Aid.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

The Ex gave me a KitchenAid mixer before we divorced. I still have it, but don't have him anymore :).

I own a set of Chicago Cutlery "Metropolitan" knives.

I may have to look into the Brinkman...sounds interesting.

6. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Gotta have a KitchenAid. I'd be lost without mine.

I used to cook with Calphalon, but then discovered that they were aluminum and went to stainless steel.

The set I had was ok, but I just stumbled into Oneida, NY - where they make Oneida kitchen gear. One word: OUTLET!

So I bought the top end of their cookware, which so far is great. Especially the pasta pot...which makes an exceptional pasta!

7. lwt210

lwt210

My set is the try ply where the aluminum is sandwiched between two layers of 18/10 stainless.

Great stuff. We luv it.

8. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger NSAWC

9. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Weber Genisis Grill

Fagor Pressure Cooker - World Class Risotto!

Starbucks Barista Espresso Machine

Big giant bread knife that I made