Favorite pickup tires?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Feb 4, 2017.

1. vart

vart

For those in milder climates who own pickups, or those who use their pickups as suburban battle wagons, choosing a tire tread is relatively easy.

For those of us who use their trucks off-road and live in areas where a pickup is expected to drive on paved roads 5 days a week, then go 50 miles off the nearest paved road on dirt, rock, mud, and snow (sometimes in June) then choosing the proper tire requires quite a bit more thought and research.

Since my pickup is my daily driver, I tried the Cooper ST MAXX which is an aggressive all-terrain. It worked very well and inspired confidence in some very remote areas. But, it was louder than every other AT I ran, it sucked the gas mileage, and it was expensive at $260 each for a 285/70/17. Basically, it had all the advantages of an MT and none of an AT.

But it was amazing in the dirt and snow...

[​IMG]

At 25k miles and 60% tread, I decided to replace them with a narrower, taller, and less aggressive tread with a tire that looked like it should do very well in the snow. Was wanting a quieter and smoother ride, better mpg, and less cost.

Tried the Cooper AT3 and it has delivered on every facet, except snow performance. It's not bad, but not as good as the ST MAXX was. Even in a narrower 285/75/17... But does OK in the mud, fine in the dirt, and definitely a quieter and smoother ride. Also, it was $60 cheaper per tire.

[​IMG]

This is my truck in the mountains of Idaho hunting for a Christmas tree... This is only 20 miles from the nearest town. I didn't get stuck, but I got close a couple of times.

I have been stuck twice in deep snow with the AT3s, but never with the ST MAXX...

IMG_20161210_142158705.jpg

So, what are some of the tires you've tried that you really like?

I've run the BFG AT and was not impressed. The new re-design I've heard has real problems balancing properly...

Not sure what I'll run for my next set... These will last me a couple of years and work OK. Might go back to an aggressive AT like the ST MAXX or a milder MT like the General Grabber X3...

[​IMG]

2. powernoodle

powernoodle

I am on my second set of Michelin LTX - AT on my '09 4x4 Suburban, which is basically a road tire with some M/S capability. I like them because I get over 100,000 miles of usage out of each set of tires. But I do like the idea of moving to something more aggressive for the rare times that they could be useful. There is always a tradeoff. What I would really like to do is have some aggressive M/S tires to use in the winter, with the Michelins the rest of the year. But that entails money, and a place to store your winter wheels/tires. I guess another alternative is to own two vehicles . . . .

Edit: now I want to try the Cooper ST MAXX. Dang it!

Rotn1 likes this.

3. mdlott

mdlott

Nitto Terra Grappler. Aggressive all terrain, slight hum. Got 50k on my last set.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers, now...

IMG_2353.JPG

I'll likely run Toyo Open Country MT, next...

IMG_0890.JPG

Rinspeed likes this.
  5. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

I'm running Cooper STT's. A bit noisey when they need rotated, but it's better than getting stuck everywhere. Great in Ohio snow, especially deep Ohio snow.

Only downside. They can pick up rocks and knock aircraft out of the sky with them. If you tow a boat, your boat will sink as soon as you put it in the water. Mudflaps, or a steel wall on the trailer are a must have for trailers towing. Noone on the freeway will tailgate you foor long with STT's or the STT pro's.

I'd stick with the Cooper STT"s or St Maxx's. That armored MT construction has worked great for me on rough roads and off road. No flats.

FYI: The Coopers and Mickey Thomsons come out of the same factory with similar designs. The MT's are west coast-ish. The Coopers are better in the East coast wetter conditions.

6. BC42

BC42

The first 2 tire sizes you mentioned are the same width, the 2nd is not more narrow. 285 is the width in mm, 70 or 75 is the sidewall height with respect to the width (70% of 285 or 75% of 285). The last number is the rim diameter. If you want more narrow, a 275/75-17 would be it.

I've been running BFG AT/KO. Got them before the KO2 came out but that will be my next tire. If you want to save a few bucks, Falken Wildpeak AT3W has been getting tons of great reviews for a true AT tire. Quiet on pavement too.

7. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Good Year Wrangler period.

Mark2Glock likes this.
  8. James1911

James1911

Winter Toyo Open Country with Grip-Studs, summer Michlen LTX AT/2. I keep my winters tires in dark storage during the summer and they look like new after 7 seasons.

9. droidfire

droidfire

for the money, i always found it easier with my bronco to have two sets of rims and two sets of tires. off road tires always went on 'backwards' so the rims stuck further out for the wider wheelbase.

ymmv

10. BC42

BC42

When I bought tires 4 yrs ago, it was down to the KO's and Duratracs. Duratracs were new so I went with KO's and glad I did. Duratracs don't last as long and traction goes away after half tread.

KO2 has a new compound that is much more resilient to chunking. I haven't heard of any balancing issues with the new tire either.

[​IMG]

Falken AT3W seems to be the new hot tire. Most truck forums have been talking about these for the last year or two.

My mallcrawler with KO's
    [​IMG]

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Hankook Dynapros in summe, narrow 10 ply, Bridgestone Blizzaks in winter narrow

Bruce M likes this.
  12. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Yoko Geolanders

13. stk10767

stk10767

+1. Great tires. I had them on my last truck and they were a great compromise between mileage, noise, grip, and look. Never left me stranded.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Thanks. I know nothing about these tires but any tire thread I need to see Hankook at least once. Hankook.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I happily abuse them for many 100s of miles out on the Oregon High Desert like the Taliban running from a Preditor drone

Bruce M likes this.
  16. jbsimm2

jbsimm2

I literally just got back from Discount tire having some KO2's put on my Xterra. in my research over the last couple months they seem to have best performance for the money. Best compromise on road and off and are winter rated.

17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s are the best truck tires made in my opinion.

Bruce M likes this.
  18. hurley842002

hurley842002

You realize there are several different models of Goodyear Wrangler, not all being created equal?

As for one of my favorites, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I've ran 3 sets, each being on a different vehicle. In my opinion, these are the ultimate AT if you live where it snows.

19. pgg00

pgg00

On my bronco i use BF Goodrich all terrain. On my F350 i use open country all terrain. On the 250 i use a pizza cutter tire since that truck is pretty old

20. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Cooper ST Maxx was a horrible not very lasting tire for me. I love my BFG T/A KO2's .