Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Favorite Paul Newman Movie

Favorite Paul Newman Movie

1. For me, this is a simple one: Cool Hand Luke. I believe this was his best role and the best movie he was ever in. I really enjoyed George Kennedy in it as well. Great old flick.

2. The Hustler.

[​IMG]

...also Jackie Gleasons best movie.

3. Butch Cassiday.

4. You've got to love Jackie Gleason. I believe the last movie he did before his death was a movie with Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks was an ad exec or something and Gleason was his father, a retired salesman with advanced Diabetes that he refused to control. It was a poignant movie, made even more so when Gleasen died, and I really enjoyed it. The two worked well together and managed to bring some comedy to it as well.

The movie was called Nothing In a Common and it was made in 1986. If you haven't seen it, give it a try.

6. My Lord whatever I done, dont strike me blind for another couple minutes!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

One of my top 10 movie favorites of all time! :cool:

7. I don't think Paul made any bad movies.....love Plastic Jesus!

8. "What we've got here is a failure to communicate. Some man you just can't reach..."

Keep it going.

9. Just lent his voice, but Cars was pretty good too. One of his last movies, too.

10. Ya you've all nailed the great ones, but I guess I'd thrown out The Sting, and The Color of Money, those were fun movies, and some more of the older films like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Long Hot Summer were good too.

11. I thought he was great in Absence of Malice and The Verdict; my favorite would be Twilight, though (no, not the cheezy hipster vampire move, this Twilight... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119594/ ) if you haven't seen it, it's on Netflix, and it has a great cast besides Newman; James Garner, Gene Hackman, Susan Sarrandan, Reese Witherspoon , Stockard Channing, Geanclarlo Esposito, and others...

12. Damn, I can't believe I forgot Absence of Malice. That is an outstanding movie. Newman's character managed to hoist everyone on their respective petards and did so with style. That Wilford Brimley speech near the end was great. He is a hell of an actor as well.

13. I am looking at Paul Newman's filmography. I didn't remember him being in Road To Perdition, with Tom Hanks.

14. It was a great movie, beautifully acted , and it made a statement about power hungry government employees and irresponsible reporting.....

Have you seen Twilight? I think you would like it, it's done in a classic film noire style, and you really feel for Newman's Harry Ross character, who is betrayed at every turn....

15. I had forgotten about Ft Apache, The Bronx as well. That was a gritty movie, for the tine it was made.

16. No, I haven't. I'll have to check it out. Do you remember FT Apache, The Bronx?

17. Wow, another one I forgot: Slapshot! You don't have to be a hockey fan to enjoy this one and I really enjoyed it. It has probably been two decades since I saw it. Time to watch it again.

18. Indeed I do; that crazy hooker killing people left and right , and after the two cops were killed , Danny Aielo was in the locker room changing into his street clothes to go off duty and arming himself with 4 or 5 pistols; Newman saw him and said "It doesn't matter how many guns you carry , you only have two hands"......

19. The life and times of judge Roy Bean. AND Absence of Malice

20. The Long Hot Summer, I really like this movie and all the actors in it.

21. Another good one was Hombre
    How are you planning to get back down that hill?
    Have you ever eaten a dog, Mr. Russell?
    Eaten one and lived like one.

22. I nominate HUD...it was filmed in Claude, TX just East of Amarillo and the movie just captures the southwestern grit of the time and place...

23. Eric beat me to it. Slapshot is a riot.

image.jpeg

24. The Hustler, The Sting and Color of Money.

25. I can't say that I know any of his films, but I was just curious if anyone had watched the "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman" doc that Adam Carolla made?

26. The Getaway. tom. ;)

27. After Cool Hand Luke I would have a hard time picking second place. Maybe Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

28. Sometimes a Great Notion.

29. This is a tough call...I'd probably go with "Hombre," though I could say "Cool Hand Luke" or "The Verdict" on any given Sunday... :)

30. I'm sorry that I did not get to mention this movie first. Excellent movie. Lots of cynical, gritty dialogue and a fine cast- Newman, Martin Balsam, Diane Cilento(Sean Connery's then wife), Fredric March, Barbara Rush, and Richard Boone. Boone's Cicero Jones is a nasty villain that ranks right up there with Lee Marvin as Liberty Valance. A must see movie IMO. :horse::agree:

31. "Hey Hanrahan! Hanrahan! Hanrahan! Suzanne sucks *****! Hey Hanrahan! She's a dyke! I know, I know! She's a lesbian, a lesbian, a lesbian!"

32. GT is on right now, zipperhead!

(I've only seen it on TV. Is there any good stuff cut out of the non-tv one?)

33. (I've got an autographed photo of the Hanson Brothers!)

34. Guess what?

It's a totally different actor!

I'm high, so it's ok.

35. Great scene.

:animlol:

36. I do too. They did a bar tour back in the mid 90s and happened to show up and a former watering hole. They were a great bunch of guys.

37. Cool Hand Luke stands out to me as well. A great career, with no wrong choices, but Luke takes it for me (roll).

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

38. Hombre, and Ft. Apache.

39. Gotta go with Cool Hand Luke for #1. The Long Hot Summer, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are 2nd's. Liz Taylor's waist looked about 16 inches around. But when George Kennedy said, "let's find us some farm girls that knowes what it's for", no one can beat that. By the way I grew up around a lot of farm girls. First shot.

40. Low fat Italian.

Oh, you said movie............

41. I guess I'd go with that - I can't really think of any great Paul Newman movies. Nothing wrong with him, he just seems to be in a lot of bland movies.

42. I saw it, he did a good job of making it. He basically just does all of his racing stuff and no movie stuff.

and as an old hockey player I have to +3 for Slap Shot

43. All good but I'd go with Butch Cassidy and Hombre as I am partial to his westerns.

44. My favorite is The Color of Money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

45. Hud.

Hud.

Hud.

46. "So we get what we had here last week and that's the way he wants it. Well, he gets it..."

Keep it going?