close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite meat for grilling burgers...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by PDogSniper, Jan 13, 2006.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

What's yours...? I can't help but believe a higher fat content is better for outside grilling...

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I agree. They tend to be juicier the higher the fat content.

With that in mind, pain 80/20 ground beef. I think The Pontificator stuck something out here a while back about Bubba Burgers, how good they were and the fat content on them.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I use 80/20 Chuck...

What I did yesterday was really great...

I took 2 pounds of meat, a couple envelopes of Lipton French Onion soup mix,
    and some Worcestershire sauce...
    ---formed and grilled some patties, kinda flat...

Then, since I don't do bread, I put some Bertolli Garlic and Olive Oil sauce on each,
    then topping them with Swiss and grated Parm...

Broiled...

I couldn't believe how good they were...

;c

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh Bill..........

I am coming to your house for supper one day..... :drool:

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Ground sirloin from steaks I pick myself, 25-30% fat. Uncooked weight is about 12 ozs per patty, about 1 ½” thick. They draw up quite a bit while cooking and I’ve learned the knack of forming patties with ‘concave’ sides which actually become nearly parallel when cooked. Otherwise, such an enormous chunk of cow becomes pretty much football shaped (in profile) and is gah-rohn-teed to squirt out of the bun while it’s being eaten. It also makes them cook more uniformly in the middle.

I dust both sides with, in order, MSG, minced garlic and lemon pepper. Then I show them briefly to the mesquite fire, ~3 minutes per side on my favorite Weber grill. The cheese goes on for the last 60 seconds. They come off the fire and go immediately onto the heel of a sandwich bun or Kaiser roll so as not to loose a drop of blood.

Crap! I wish I hadn’t written that!! I’ve been in India these past two weeks and unless I miss my guess, there isn’t 12 ounces of ground sirloin between here and Istanbul. :-(

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

G
    Reason I'm asking is that I'm not much of a burger guy but my wife is and I'm wanting to make sure I cook for her also. Seems that I'm always having my way with the grill.

This is what I used the other night and they really shrivled up and seemed pretty dry. Good flavor though... I might give Slims method a try...

7. noway

noway

sirloin is my meat for burger. lean mean sirloin is the way to go and cooked medium top with some cheese, beefsteak tomatoe a layer of green fresh lettuce with one ring of onion on a jewish rye bread.

Hmm hmm hmm .............good

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I mix about 70% to 30% of 20% fat chuck with 10% fat Sirloin. Really good flavor that way.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Venison/Pork sausage patties or brauts!;f ;f ;f

10. Kirkcdl

Kirkcdl

Cook one slice of bacon for each burger patty until extremely well done(crispy).Crumble cooked bacon into raw burger meat,mix thoroughly,form into patties...;a

11. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

I don't use any meat with lower that a 80/20 fat content. If leaner the patties will tend to fall apart on the grill.

We really enjoy mixing "Woodys Cooking Sauce" with the raw meat and then forming patties for the grill.

If we are going all out we will coat bacon slices with brown sugar or molasses and then coat the slices with cracked black pepper. Pop the bacon in the broiler till done. Lay a couple of the slices on the burger with whatever other trimmings you use.

12. briantf

briantf

I made the "mistake" of getting a grinder for the kitchenaide and making chuck burgers. The flavor and texture was drastically different and better. My family requires grind-our-own for everything from meatloaf to spaghetti sauce now.

Not sure what all goes into hamburger these days, but a lot of it is not otherwise edible meat. I didn't know regular hamburger meat was tough until we moved to grinding.

Aside from the brief inconvenience of grinding a chuck roast, the cost is usually less than store ground meat, and significantly less than the virtually inedible "93% lean" stuff. An additional benefit is being able to grill to a medium rare without worries regarding salmonella.

Regards,
    Brian in CA
    PS Yes you can grill in January

13. major

major Rejected member

Mix 50% elk with 50% ground beef...........mmmmmm.....mmmm

14. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

16. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Brian, what "goes into" ground beef these days is ALL edible. Some of it might not be palatable to some, or otherwise an attractive piece of meat to eat, but it is all wholesome and edible. Much of the trimmings from steaks, roasts, and other cuts which go into ground meat contains a large amount of connective tissue. Thus there will be chewier/tougher bits of meat to chew on.

Certified ground chuck and ground round must come from those cuts of meat. While 80/20 ground beef is leaner than say 73/27, it is not ground chuck. Ground chuck is at least 81/19 and must say "Certified Ground Chuck from the packer. Occasionally you will find a local market that will label 80/20 as ground chuck.

And yes you can grill in January. We live in Oklahoma and use the grill year round every year. Sounds like you are making some good burgers there.

:)

17. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Just mix the meat with whatever you'd do with beef. Salt, pepper, garlic, etc. ;z

18. briantf

briantf

I apologize for the implied slight - I didn't quite write what I meant, and I certainly don't think there's anything but beef in hamburger.

The surprise to me was the difference between $2.59/lb ground chuck and $2.49/lb chuck roast ground at home. The difference in texture when making meatloaf, for example, was VERY noticeable - almost fluffy (sounds strange but there it is).

Thanks for the clarification and the add'l info.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

19. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

The human tongue craves the tase and the "mouth feel" of fat. Our fondness for such a high-level energy source (9 cals/gm) helped assure our survival. Prior to the advent of commercial farming, I don't think there were many places on earth where a vegan could have survived. Carnivores, however, have got by just fine for centuries, even above the arctic circle.

20. cmzneb

cmzneb

75%-78% Lean

"Fat is Flavor"

More fat dripping on the charcoal, brings on more of that flavorful smoke.