Glock Talk banner

Favorite Hearing Protection?

1457 Views 23 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  nitesit(+ an e)
I have the Peltor Ultimate 10 ear muffs and like them but I wanted the benefits of electronic hearing protection. So, I bought the Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs but found they aren't as quiet.
I'm looking for something electronic with at least 25 decible reduction and comfortable enough to wear for about 8 hours. I know comfort is subjective but I'm looking for opinions.
What do you wear and like to use while shooting?
I'm thinking of these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Tac...pebp=1433382406216&perid=1AX68VJ7782XAVPRP7RJ
See less
I have the Peltor Ultimate 10 ear muffs and like them but I wanted the benefits of electronic hearing protection. So, I bought the Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs but found they aren't as quiet.
I'm looking for something electronic with at least 25 decible reduction and comfortable enough to wear for about 8 hours. I know comfort is subjective but I'm looking for opinions.
I'm thinking of these...
See more
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12,616 Posts
I use Howard Leight(spelling?) plugs. They usually work fine.

Reactions: deputy tom

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I had peltor electronic ear muffs.They were great when they worked. They are a pain to change the batteries in and if you leave them in they will corrode. They no longer work. Honestly now I generally use disposable ear plugs.

· NRA Life Member
32,719 Posts
I have some of Dusty's hearing protection, but when I am shooting in a match, I am partial to the MSA Sordin's.

wp

· TatersGonnaTate
1,900 Posts

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
765 Posts
Is it safe for your hearing to only wear ear plugs and not ear muffs? I read a couple of years ago that there is a tube that runs up each side of your neck and into your ear that is very sensitive to the loud gun noise. The article said that ear muffs protect this tube that runs into your ear where only wearing ear plugs does not.

The reason I ask the question is when my wife shoots at my indoor range the Browning 32dB ear muffs she wears hurts her ears and they are uncomfortable. I have a pair of Surefire Ear Pro EP4 ear plugs rated at 24dB that she could try but I don't want to put her hearing at risk. Thanks.

· Registered
4,937 Posts

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
765 Posts

· Registered
1,452 Posts
I have used disposable ear plugs for years...not because I like them so much as because they're always around. When I did an explosive entry class about 10 years back, I used the Peltor electronic muffs and loved them. However, the price is pretty dear when one has to buy them one's self so I stick to plugs and "dumb" muffs.

· Registered
20,276 Posts
I'm thinking of these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Tac...pebp=1433382406216&perid=1AX68VJ7782XAVPRP7RJ

Use the Howard Leight Impact Sports you already have, PLUS the cheapie cylinder-shaped Flents foam plugs sold at Walmart. Turn the volume all the way up on the Howard Leight's and you get great protection and still able to hold a conversation.

· Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
8,268 Posts
Way... WAY "back when" during those days of my first police academy, our chief firearms instructor would show up at the range every morning and pick up from the ground a couple of .38-Special/.357 Magnum fired cases..... and stick them in his ears with the rimmed part sticking out from his ear canals. That was his hearing protection.

· JAFO
15,121 Posts
I've used Pro-Ear Magnums for close to 12 years, not cheap but they have been super. One of the things that really drew me to them is I always noticed so many top shooters who were using them and they have a great NRR rating. If in when they ever stopped working it would be a tough choice between another pair or the MSA Sordins which also have a great reputation.

· Supreme Member
4,576 Posts
If I'm outdoors in the open, I just wear the orange or yellow foam plugs. I like plugs better because muffs dig my glasses into the side of my head. After shooting for a while, it really gets uncomfortable.

But if I'm at an indoor range, I do wear the muffs along with plugs and just deal with the glasses digging into the side of my head.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.