Favorite hand cannon?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Jan 16, 2020.

1. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Dang!
    You guys are NOT making my decision any easier...

"Buy the 629, or don't buy the 629?"

Lock or no lock. That makes no difference.
    Smith and Wesson revolvers are GORGEOUS!!!!!

2. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

FullClip likes this.

3. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

I don’t own one of these but a friend of mine does and have shot it a number of times. Man, I love it. S&W 460 XVR

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers and ronj1 like this.
  4. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Since you already have a .357, why not go for the S&W 629? It will be "stupidly powerful" with magnum loads and "enjoyable" with .44 special ammo.

ithaca_deerslayer, sas-G19 and byf43 like this.
  5. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

a 629 or redhawk are high on the list, shopping my options first of course!

6. sas-G19

sas-G19

Ruger New Vaquero 44 Magnum, 3.75" barrel w/BirdsHead grip.
    40 ounces of fun, from mild to wild. Counterintuitively, quite comfortable with any load, so far. Haven't tried loads beyond 240 gr. yet; 300+gr. underwood or buffalo bore might be a handful.
    -steve 10596.1.jpg

7. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" Docgkr

Very nice :cheers::cheers:

sas-G19 likes this.
  8. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

I would highly recommend starting your "hand cannon" acquisition with a good .44 Magnum and work your way up the food chain if you find it lacking down the road. I found myself in a similar situation about this time last year as I was specifically looking for a handgun to shoot steel at long (for me) range out to 200 yards. I already had some good .357 mags, but wanted something with a bit more power and reach, so I started looking at everything from .41 mag up to .460 S&W.

After shooting a .460, a .454, a few different .44 mags, and a lone .41 mag, I ended up deciding on the .44 for a few reasons:

1. Cost/Availability - .44 mag is much easier to find around here and is significantly less expensive to boot. As I don't currently reload, this is a big deal to me.
    2. Versatility - Even if you aren't a reloader, you can find factory ammo at all power levels, from mouse-fart .44 specials loads so light you can watch the lead flying downrange, to full-house Magnums that offer plenty of drama and power.
    3. Variety - Want a 3" DA/SA snubby? No problem. Want a 7.5" Single Action? Easy to find. Want a semiauto? It's out there. How about a fun rifle? Leveractions, bolt actions, and single shots are available.
    4. Usability - This is going to be a serious personal choice. Just how much blast/recoil are you comfortable with? While the .454 and .460 factory loads certainly offered all the power and range I was looking for, I was quite done after 20 rounds of each. With my 6.5" 629, I will happily burn a full 50 round box or two and still be able to break out some of my other pistols for extended range time. (Side note: The 5" .460 does a great job of clearing sinuses!)

As for why I ended up with 629s, I'm sort of a S&W guy and I love N-frames. They just fit my hands perfectly. I added a set of the Hogue X-frame grips to both of them to cover the back strap, and I've been quote happy with them. Both of mine are pre-lock/pre-MIM models with all the endurance enhancements that Smith added over the years, so durability shouldn't be an issue. That said, if I run across a Colt Anaconda, a Ruger Bisley Hunter, or a Dan Wesson for a good price, I'll happily add them to my collection. (I'm already on the lookout for a JM Marlin 1894 Cowboy in so I can have a rifle that shares the round.)

Now, I'm just some RandomGuy on the internet, so what works for me may be entirely different than what may work for you. So while I freely offer my opinion, it is just that: My Opinion. It's probably worth exactly what you paid for it anyway. My best advice is to just get out there and try as many options (caliber, style, brand, size, etc) as you possibly can, do your research, and then buy what makes you happy. It really doesn't matter what you end-up with as long as it burns powder, goes bang, and makes you smile!

9. byf43

Thanks.
    I've got a few 'boomer' handguns, from 2-1/2" .357 magnum, to 4" .357 magnum, to the DW 44VH-4 and VH-8. (DW 44VH-4 pic posted earlier.)
    Then, we move to the Thompson/Center Contender in .30 Herrett and did have a 7mm Int'l Rimmed (basically a 7-30 Waters), and 14" .44 magnum.

Recoil isn't the issue. (For the most part. Arthritis has been sneaking up on me, though.)
    Spending the $$$ for another firearm (so soon) is the issue.

I've been offered both the 4" and 6-1/4" 629 for very good price(s).

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Something like that...

[​IMG]

ithaca_deerslayer and byf43 like this.
  11. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

:faint:
    Well that’s what I get for responding on my phone. I preached to the choir instead of the new acolyte (The original poster). Color me embarrassed. :faint:

byf43 likes this.
  12. byf43

NO worries. None at all.

13. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

S&W 629 6” 44 Mag. That’s all I can handle, not to mention, the most I can afford to shoot.

byf43 and AdamRodgers like this.
  14. Bluescot

Bluescot

Two of my shooters are in that area. Both are Old Ruger Vaqueros stainless Bisley one in 44Mag in 5.5 barrel and the other in 45Colt in 4.75 barrel. I loaded these both on the warm side and the performance and accuracy is outstanding. Recoil, even with the Bisley frame, is definitely noticeable.

The serious max loads for these two, over the chronograph are:

1. 44 Mag 300g bullet - 1377fps

2. 45 Colt 300g bullet -1213 fps

The 45 Colt maxed out sooner than the 44Mag.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I like the .44mag for all the same reasons.

I'm not against 10mm for semi-auto. I don't have one, but see the logic.

I'm not against .45Colt or .454 Casull. Don't have one, but see the logic.

But those darn .41 magnum people. Just step up to the .44 magnum and be done with it. LOL.