Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everybody's favorite fishing line? I have to say my favorite is 6lb Berkely Iron Silk- I really like the bright green color as I can see my line really well.

·
Lock Guru
558 Posts
stren 12 pound test. i love fishing for bullheads.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
On my baitcasters, it Trilene XT, usually in green.

on my spinning reels, I converted to using PowerPro microfilament line.

from THIS REVIEW ;
"The Power Pro has no stretch, will not cut rod guides, it’s super sensitive and strong, has no memory, it’s limp and easy to work with right out of the box, and it casts like a rocket ship on grease! If you like a “no-fuss”, day after day, user-friendly, change once-a-year line, give Power Pro (www.powerpro.com) a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised."

its everything he says it is. the sensitivity is amazing.

http://www.powerpro.com/

·
Registered
716 Posts
Power Pro 10/20/30/40 #. I like to use flouro carbon for leader as it's the hardest for fish to see and adds a bit of shock absortion where the Power Pro has none. I use the 10# (equal to 2#) for freshwater and the 20-40 # for intracoastal and ocean.

·
10mm Advocate
6,908 Posts
I use Spiderwire exclusively. I have ever since it came out on the market and never lost a fish because the line broke. That is some amazing stuff. My brother in law brought in a 23# Lake Trout on 6# Spiderwire off Lake Superior right off the beach in front of our house. Pretty impressive.

Oh, yeah. Hundreds of fisherman spend thousands of dollars on downriggers, charter boats, and an insane amount of tackle. Myself and my father in law catch 20-30# Lake Trout off the beach here on get this: NIGHTCRAWLERS and a 1oz sinker. We wade out to chest deep water, fling the bait out, walk the pole to shore and put it in a cinder block. We put bells on the end of it. When a fish is on, the bells ring, the dog goes nuts barking at the pole, we run down there, grab the pole to set the hook and bring it in. We usually catch Lake Trout, Pink Salmon, and Rainbows. Sometimes we get bullheads.

Sorry, just had to brag!! Love the UP!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I really like using the P-Line, have had good results with it.
I also like Ande line for a cheap line, I can spool alot of reels with a spool and use it for my reels I get alot of line abuse from rocks, and debris like for drifting for steelhead.

I like power pro, especially when fishing top waters here for speckled trout. I used it on my casting reels, and it works good just have to make sure you keep it taunt on the spool or you can have some problems. I like it especially for my cat fish reels and surf fishing. I like it for long casts I can see the light hits on my rods.

So far my favorite mono is P-line, or Ande. For braid I like the power pro. I like it more than stren, and more than the Berkley braids. I havent used the western Filament or the P-Line braid but feels and looks alot like power pro.

·
Nibb
4,183 Posts
Hi , all, thought I might chirp in....

On my Curado Baitcaster,strickly a " jig-n-pig " settup, I have been using Berkely`s Transition line, flourocarbon in 20 lb. test, I hate to lose large bass to breakage, pee`s me off.

On my spinning outfits, which usually find spinner-baits, Senko`s, the occasional top-water lure, I use 17 lb. Heavy cover line, mono.

I also have a carolina rig, using Stren low stretch, 17 lb. coupled with a leader of clear flourocarbon 12 lb. with a lizard usually on the red Gamagatsu (sic) hook.

I now use the red Gamagatsu hooks on all my Texas rigged stuff, ie, lizards, senko`s, rubber worms of various kinds.

I fish only for large-mouth bass, and then , only target the largest bass in the lake. If I only get one bite all day, but it`s a BIG bass, I`m good.

imout :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been a BIG fan of P-Line for about 2 years. In the last few weeks I have been using PowerPro on a few reels to try it out. I'm really starting to like this line. I'm going to switch all my spinning reels over to the 15lb PowerPro. I'm going to stick with the P-Line for my baitcasters. BUT This may change in do time.

·
Ancient Tech
2,344 Posts
I have some of that odd 'oval' Stren line on my baitcasters...tests to 40# but casts like 12# test. Great stuff--and I hauled in a hundred pound log I snagged with my musky rod once with it.:shocked:

But here in OR I have been using 8, 12 and 15 pound test Berkley Trilene Big Game.

'Course, I'm fishing for 30# steelhead and 50# chinook now...quite a different game!

I think I read somewhere that the Trilene BG is the best monofilament line as far as controlled stretch and abrasion resistance goes. I buy it 1000 yards at a time, and am very pleased with it.

Good luck,

Eric

·
Registered
109 Posts
Trilene Fire-Line, the best imho. The stuff just does not break, plus no stretch so you can really feel the bottom.

Great all-around line. I think its the best for lindy-rigging for walleyes. Out on millacs with nine foot snells, and fireline we kicked alot of serious arse!!!

I love how its almost like a threaded line, not some wimpy monofilament. Even with a knife, the stuff more unravels than breaks. I dont know how well it works on baitcasters, but i dlont fish much with baitcasters, except for trolling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts