Favorite Aircraft Sounds!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BillCola, Dec 8, 2003.

1. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

This is a tough one...but for me it just might be the F4. If you are standing on the extended centerline as one or more goes over your head while landing, they make a "howl" that almost pushes me over to a spontaneous BIG-O.

Piston wise, the Hawker Sea Fury and Beech Duke are to be reckoned with.

By the way, who misses the plumes of black smoke that used to flow from the ol' turbojets?? I sure do. B-52's, 707's...yeah, baby!!

2. skyydiver

skyydiver Gravity Slave

3. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

The sound of the turbine kicking in and winding up while sitting in a helo with the door off.

The sound of a Mustang.

Any bad ass jet hauling ass.

The double boom of the Space Shuttle coming in and the sound of the crowd going wild waving American flags as the Shuttle zips across the sky at what looks like the speed of light, S-curves, heads straight for the runway, and silently lands like a feather with the crowd going even more wild.

I've never witnessed the Space Shuttle taking off, but that has GOT to sound pretty bad ass!

4. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

it's hard to beat the sound of an old radial. especially something like the P-47 for a single, or the B-29 for a multi-engine.

jet wise, the F-104 is probably one of the most awsome sounding *and looking* aircraft.

5. Baldy

Baldy Senior Member Millennium Member

For me, there is no question: it is the sound of full afterburners kicking in on an F-4! Never to be forgotten!

6. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

*silence*

[​IMG]

...that or an A-10 zooming over at 50 ft. :)

7. rotorhead

rotorhead

My favorite is the sound of both engines starting without a hitch on SA365N2.My second favorite is a nice spin down after they shut down;b

8. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

S-3 Viking coming in for a landing, or sitting on the flight deck...

Nicknamed the Hoover............

Vooooommmm Voooooooooooooooooommmmm

No other aircraft sounds quite like it.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

1 word

Beaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Although I have never heard it in person, and if I had it probably would have caused a total evacuation of my body waste, I really like to hear sound clips of the "Trumpet of Jericho" thats right, a Junkers Ju-87 dive bomber equipped with the siren so it screams out of the sky. I like to listen to the first track of Pink Floyd's The Wall, just for that, at the end of the song, you hear the screaming dive..... I LOVE IT!

11. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Ordnance Sounds:

M-61 Vulcan from inside the cockpit, a combination of the sound and the vibration: BUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRP

A string of four bombs getting ejected off the racks: WHUP-WHUP-WHUP-WHUP.

Any missile coming off the rail: Sort of like a big bottle rocket, WHOOOOOOOOOOOooooooosh.

12. Kearsage

Kearsage

The four Wright Cyclones on a B-17. ;?

13. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Prop: Mustang at idle; any BIG radial cranking up... chirp, chirp, chirp, baroooom!

Jet: SR-71 on takeoff - only heard it once when I was about 14, but I'll never forget it.

As for the B-52's; They would take off in sticks of about 36 at one minute intervals starting at about 11:30 pm. When you didn't have AC in the house yet and had to sleep with the windows open, and you lived less than one mile from the end of the runway, you basically didn't sleep for an hour each night.

Not really an aircraft sound, but when you're a 10 year old kid, the Alert Klaxon going off was music to my ears. I'd pedal my bike to the flight line as quick as I could, sometimes beating the line crews to the fence. I'd watch the bomber crews bail from their crewcabs and climb into the planes, get cranked up and start moving towards the runway. I don't remember exact times, but I think 3-5 minutes from entering the aircraft until it began moving would be about right. A quick wave to the tail gunners (and a waggle of the .50 cals back at me) and they'd be on their way. Hmmm... tail gunners... that should tell you how long ago THAT was. :) When did they pull the gunners out the tail on the 52's?

Sound I don't want to hear again... We were visiting my grandparents in Hollywood FL and my dad needed to check in at the closest base for something. While he was in the Ops building I was watching Phantoms take off. One guy went screaming past me, was hidden behind a building, and all I heard was ROOOOAAAARRR... WHOOMP !.... silence ;P

He had gotten off the ground but I don't know if he had even gotten the gear up yet when the engine went TU and he pancaked right back down onto the runway. I remember seeing the picture in the paper the next day of a totally destroyed and toasted F-4. I seem to recall that he survived but I don't remember any other details.

T

14. leadbutt

leadbutt

UH1/ Heuy, knew I was going to make it out one more time

15. Semper Glock

Semper Glock

The sound of 4 Lycoming LF-507s winding down after a long 4 day trip signalling that beer thirty is getting close.;c ;f

16. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

The buzz-saw sound of a large fan engine on takeoff.

17. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger NSAWC

The roaring of a F14D minimum radius turn....

18. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

Tie, both in a high speed low pass. P51 Mustang and F4U Corsair.

19. S2CPitts

S2CPitts

Either a Beaver or Mustang for pistons, or any turbine spooling up and hearing the ignitor tick off..... :)

20. ajw8875

ajw8875 HA-WY-EE YEAA!!

EA-6B Prowler while sitting in the JBD pit between cats 1 and 2!!!! if you had fillings in your teeth they were loose after that.