Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any .40 fans have any favorites? I like 180gr HST and Golddots for SD.
I'm not sure what the best target loads are. I prefer 180gr for my G23.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,300 Posts
For JHP, I like:

Federal Tactical Bonded
Federal HST
Winchester Ranger Bonded
Winchester Ranger T
Speer Gold Dot
Remington Golden Saber Bonded

I generally go with 180gr, but 165gr is great, too.

For FMJ:
Brass casing ammunition in 180gr or 165gr.

Reactions: DonGlock26

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,246 Posts

·
Banned
297 Posts
HST or Gold dot always 180 grain.

If you don’t reload, aluminum cased Federal or Blazer is fantastic stuff. Also never buy anything but those.

They are both the same parent company but I tend to lean towards federal because they sponsor/support a lot of quality content creators.

·
I feel pretty.
3,958 Posts
Is your HST chrome or brass cased?

Winchester PDX1 is chrome, and slick like it's been oiled. Not that my Glock has any problems feeding sticky cases, but every bit counts. I think I only found it in 165gn. I'd prefer 180.

I have 1000 rounds incoming in Federal Field n Range, and Wwb. Usually I use Blazer Brass, but it was $5 more per box.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I haven't shot .40 caliber for awhile, but after picking up a bargain G23.2 from a buddy who is a retired LEO (his old duty gun), I managed to find some 50-round boxes of Federal HST 180 grain. In fact, I'm using HST 124 standard pressure for my Sig P365 and HST 99 grain in my G42.

No doubt, gel tests are a bit subjective, but for comparing loads, I've come to rely on the Lucky Gunner tests, and all of the Federal HST products were near the top in all the calibers I shoot.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
For SD, 180 gr HSTs right now, but Gold Dot and Golden Saber are fine, too. I make my own range stuff.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Is your HST chrome or brass cased?

Winchester PDX1 is chrome, and slick like it's been oiled. Not that my Glock has any problems feeding sticky cases, but every bit counts. I think I only found it in 165gn. I'd prefer 180.

I have 1000 rounds incoming in Federal Field n Range, and Wwb. Usually I use Blazer Brass, but it was $5 more per box.

HST and Gold Dot are all nickel plated yes.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,962 Posts
After years of real-life experience, both on and off the job, I only have 2 brands in my EDC platforms: either Winchester Ranger or Fed HST...I know there are many other brands available...some new, some have been on the market for years...but my choices have hundreds of LE and citizen shootings in their combined histories...that does not mean I am dissing any of the other brands out there...it just means for "me", I will not carry PD ammo until it has a documented history of success with LE agencies...but I know there are many other opinions on this issue.

·
Registered
81,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After years of real-life experience, both on and off the job, I only have 2 brands in my EDC platforms: either Winchester Ranger or Fed HST...I know there are many other brands available...some new, some have been on the market for years...but my choices have hundreds of LE and citizen shootings in their combined histories...that does not mean I am dissing any of the other brands out there...it just means for "me", I will not carry PD ammo until it has a documented history of success with LE agencies...but I know there are many other opinions on this issue.
I agree. My department used Speer Golddots for years and they performed as advertised.

·
19,067 Posts
I don't think training ammo has to exactly duplicate defensive loads but it's nice if it comes close. And if you reload your goal will be duplicating the recoil impulses and point of aim of your carry ammo. Also, about once every few months I shoot the ammo I've been carrying in the gun and after cleaning the gun, replace it fresh ammo.

But shooting Ammo that duplicates your carry ammo it isn't that important in my opinion. Shooting the gun with any ammo helps familiarize the shooter with the trigger, the sights, and the operation of the gun and is far better than dry firing.

I often shoot random 9mm ammo in my G23 using a KKM conversion barrel with 9mm magazines.

·
In The Saddle
8,685 Posts
WW 180gr PDX1 Bonded...
180gr GD's...

CM
:horse:

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
180 Grain JHP:
WWB
Federal HST
Speer Gold Dots

189 Grain FMJ:
Whatever I can find at the best deal. Commie ammo shoots dirty to me and I don’t care for the steel casings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts