close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite .22 ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cz85cmbt, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cz85cmbt

cz85cmbt

Whether it is for plinking or killing what is your favorite. For bulk the winchester xpert hollow point are pretty accurate and it expands well too. But when I want really good stuff I like the remington viper, great penetration, expansion and accuracy. I used to like the stinger as a game killer but the new barrel on my ruger won't let them chamber properly, so they won't go off. If I ever get a 1-9" twist barrel I like the super sniper from aguila will be on there.

2. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

It's a .22 so whatever is cheapest, even for squirrel and rabbit, if it don't kill it the first time, shoot it again.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

CCI is my favorite, even though it is not the cheapest. Mini-Mag hollowpoints are great for hunting, Mini-Mag plated round nose for positive functioning in some picky semi-autos, Stingers for smaller varmints, Velocitors for hunting/varminting or fur harvesting on larger-than-normal-for-a-rimfire critters, Blazer Long Rifles or CB Shorts/Longs for plinking, and Green Tag or Standard Velocity loads for target work.

CCI isn't the best in every category, but it's consistently in the top 2 or 3 in all categories in my book. If I had to pick one load of them all, the Mini-Mag hollowpoints would get almost everything done with very little fuss and bother. It's just 2+ times harder on the 'ole checkbook than the cheaper stuff.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

eley target, eley club, eley team, eley match, wolf match target, wolf match extra, SK standard +, SK rifle match

i like to shoot .22 rifles for accuracy. :supergrin:

5. JethroXP

JethroXP Good with a gun

I used to think that, but have come to discover that my Ruger 10/22 really seems to prefer CCI Mini-Mags. With just about any other brand I can expect multiple jams and an occasional misfire, but the CCI Mini-Mags just work. I now buy them by the case, last deal I got was from The Sportsman's Guide, 1000 rounds for $66.99. Can't beat that with a stick.

6. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

Here's another vote for the CCI mini-mags. I like them for their consistency and reliability. I don't kill anything except paper and perhaps the occasional empty 2 litre bottle so it doesn't matter what variety I shoot. I have no problems with functioning in any of several plinkers.

7. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

That's understandable for jams though but if it works it works, I don't find it necessary to spend the extra money if the cheap stuff works and doesn't jam.

8. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Eley and Wolf Match.

9. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I have 3 .22s. I have the Heritage Rough Rider, single six in 6" barrel, The Ruger MarkII with 6 1/2" stainless steel slab side bull barrel, and the Ruger 10/22 carbine. The Heratige and the MarkII feed and cycle well with everything I've fed them and accuracy seems to be the same no matter what ammo I use. For these two I use the Winchester bulk pack of 550 rounds for about 15 bux.

The 10/22 on the other hand is pretty fussy. If I try the Ammo I use in the other two I'm hittin' all over the place. but if I can get ahold of some CCi subsonic then I get to play in the bulls eye consistantly at 50yds.

10. hatidua

hatidua

Eley-Club is great but WMT is about where I draw the line money-wise.

When shooting suppressed, CCI-SV seems to be as clean as I can find.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  11. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

CCI Sub Sonic are my hands down favorite followed closely by Remington Subs.

Remington Lighting bolts are great because the are cheap and sort-of accurate.

CCI Subs are hard to find, so lighting bolts get the most use. CCI Green Tag is very accurate also, but hard to find and pricey.

When hunting I only use the the most accurate ammo, and for me that means CCI Sub Sonic.

12. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Anything besides Remington.

My Ruger Mark II Target likes:

[​IMG]

My Smith and Wesson 41 likes:

[​IMG]

My Browning Challenger likes everything.

[​IMG]

I'll try anything, though. :)
    deadite

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I've had fantastic luck with the Federal American Eagle and Blazer, actually.

-J-

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My favorite is Wal Mart 550 bulk pack.

It's generally decent ammo but has problems like Remington has a lot of duds due to the case having no priming but it's the least expensive. Since I go through a LOT of 22 ammo, sometimes a thousand rounds at a time, shooting "good" expensive ammo is out of the question.

15. Fungunner

Fungunner

I have some 30 year-old Winchester T22 for my target pistol.

Otherwise, Remington, CCI, or Winchester, which ever is available. I like CCI Stingers, for effect, when shooting my Walther P22. I quit buying Federal, a long time ago, as I had feed and extraction problems with them. They might have got a grip on their quality since then, but I haven't felt the need or desire to buy it.

16. loki993

loki993

so far its just the Remington golden bullet. My 10/22 like it. I have yet to try the federal auto match or lightning though, which is supposed to be good. I also really like the Aguila Super Max if only for the little kick and nice crack I get out of it. I also haven't gotten into the really expensive, for .22 that is, either yet. So all that could change.

17. trickyvic

trickyvic

Some of my favorites are:

Federal bulk 745/750/510/Auto Match
    Winchester 333/555
    CCI Blazer
    CCI mini-mags/Standard Velocity

18. arclight610

arclight610

Federal Bulk Pack, cuz its the way .22's were meant to be... dirt cheap

19. mboylan

mboylan

Wolf MT and SK Standard+ are my favorites. I use them for hunting too. It all comes down to where you hit them. Head shots only.

I use a centerfire for anything bigger than a rabbit.

20. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

CCI Segmented Subsonic
    Winchester Subsonic HP
    CB Shorts

I've killed more critters than I can remember.