Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see which 1911 was the favorite of all the gurus around here and why.

Ill tell you mine. I own or have ownded 1911s from the following: Springfield, Para, Colt, Sti, Kimber, Rock Island, Rock River, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Smith and Wesson.

My all time favorite is my Kimber Warrior. I like it even better than my Nighthawk Talon due to the Talon having a trigger that is a tad light for my taste. I also prefer the tactical wedge sights over the Novak's. The Nighthawk is more refined in many ways however.

I also have a S&W Pro Series that is a tremendous value. The fit and finish are top notch, the slide feels like it is gliding on oil, and it has been 100% reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm no Guru, but if you'll permit me the honor of answering anyhow: my Ed Brown Kobra Carry is the finest I've owned or shot. Superior accuracy combined with beauty is difficult to trump.

·
Deo Vindice
1,208 Posts
I like the Springfield and Colt brands...I like things simple. For out of box production 1911's they're pretty good stuff.

I'm not as dedicated to the platform as others where I'm willing to spend 1k plus on a 1911. There's certainly a difference in quality no question when you get into that price range. But for what my 1911's are used for, Springer and Colt are plenty sufficient for me.

·
Registered
127,751 Posts
I have no favorite, but the best 1911s are certainly the custom builds from the best smiths around.

You could name dozens.

A couple examples would be this signature model from Paul Liebenberg at Pistol Dynamics or this retro from Ted Yost at Heirloom Precision.

Of course, you can get a great 1911 for a lot less money with a much shorter turnaround time from one of the popular semi custom shops, such as this Ed Brown Classic Custom.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My slightly customized (better sights, trigger enhancement, 3M Safety Tread tape on frontstrap) Norinco 1911s are actually top of the list for me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Of the 1911's I own and/or have shot extensively I like my Springfield TRP the best. Its my primary IDPA gun and when I leave it behind on a whim to shoot something else at a match, I usually end up missing it by the 3rd COF.

The best I've ever shot was a Nighthawk GRP. Oh so smooth.

I'd love to get my hands on a Wilson CQB, DW Valor, and or a Les Baer TRS someday.

There are sooo many good ones.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
My favorite 1911s are my USGI models (Colt, Remington Rand, Ithaca). Reason is because of their historical military service. It puts the significance in them. Anyone can own a 1911, but how many of us get to own battle-hardened 1911s? If they could talk, these 1911s would have all kinds of stories to tell.

·
Registered
963 Posts
No Guru here but, SA Loaded
Fits great in my hand
Shoots Great
Fair price
Lifetime warranty
Customer Service claims to be great, I have never used it.

I am guessing this is an April's Fool Day from you.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I have no favorite, but the best 1911s are certainly the custom builds from the best smiths around.

You could name dozens.

A couple examples would be this signature model from Paul Liebenberg at Pistol Dynamics or this retro from Ted Yost at Heirloom Precision.

I see your hiding the external extractor on this gun :supergrin:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

You could name dozens.

Hey Bac I've been wondering how much money does it cost to get a gun done up like this? :dunno:

·
Registered
310 Posts
No Guru here but, SA Loaded
Fits great in my hand
Shoots Great
Fair price
Lifetime warranty
Customer Service claims to be great, I have never used it.

I am guessing this is an April's Fool Day from you.
+1. I bought this gun as my 1st and only 1911, with the cash to buy a 1911 under $2000. I didn't have a need for any of the frills that more expensive one's have. I shoot USPSA with it and it hasn't given me any problems that I can remember, minus occasionally failing to chamber a HP round from a full mag by releasing the slide, but I've seen this with two other 1911s from other makes as well.
I'll admit it's probably not the best overall gun, but it performs at least 90% of what any other 1911 can do, or better.

·
Registered
127,751 Posts
I see your hiding the external extractor on this gun :supergrin:

No way, that's a Liebenberg trademark! :supergrin:

He perfected it when he started the Performance Center at S&W and now uses it on his in house frames and slides.

That was just the angle I chose.

Here ya go. :cool:

I like this side better, actually, since it has the signature.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
No way, that's a Liebenberg trademark! :supergrin:

He perfected it when he started the Performance Center at S&W and now uses it on his in house frames and slides.

That was just the angle I choose.

Here ya go. :cool:

I like this side better, actually, since it has the signature.

Looks great I was just kidding anyways :whistling:

1 - 20 of 195 Posts