Favor please from someone with an SKS

Discussion in 'SKS Carbiners' started by G26man, Feb 2, 2014.

1. G26man

G26man OBEY ME!

I'm wondering if someone with an SKS can try out something for me. The bar that holds the bolt back in my SKS when the mag is empty slides up sometimes under recoil and holds the bolt back before the mag is empty. There seems to be no spring tension on it to hold it down at all. The way it works is that there is a part of the magazine follower that sticks out and catches the bar to raise it up as the follower rises when the mag is empty, so if there is supposed to be spring tension on the bar to normally hold it down it would need to be very light because it would have to be overpowered by the magazine follower's spring tension to function correctly. With nothing at all holding it down however, it is free to slide up if the gun is shaken and it does under recoil and stops the bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what I'd be real grateful for is if someone could open up their stock mag (or remove their detachable mag) and push their bolt stop bar up with their finger and tell me if it feels like it has any sring tension. Another way would be to hold the gun upside down (again with the mag open or out) and see if the bar falls "up" so that it would block the bolt.

If there is some tension holding it down (and there must be or yours would be doing what mine does) can you tell what it is coming from? A small spring maybe that mine is missing? Thanks a million to anyone who takes the time to look into this for me.

2. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

3. G26man

G26man OBEY ME!

Thank you sir!

Actually I think that spring may have just been gummed up a little. The gun had not been shot much before I bought it a week ago. I've put 120rds through it so far and it hasn't given me any problems with the last 50 or so. I think it's just working the dust out, lol.

4. AZson

AZson

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014