close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fatties! Mississippi leads the fat encased junk food vaults called people.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by moeman, Aug 20, 2012.

1. moeman

moeman

Fatties! Mississippi leads the fat encased junk food vaults called -----------people...

the smell of fat chicks puts my spine out of place [thanks d. bowie]

[​IMG]

Obesity prevalence in 2011 varies across states and regions
    •By state, obesity prevalence ranged from 20.7% in Colorado to 34.9% in Mississippi in 2011. No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%. 39 states had a prevalence of 25% or more; 12 of these states had a prevalence of 30% or more: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and West Virginia.

•The South had the highest prevalence of obesity (29.5%), followed by the Midwest (29.0%), the Northeast (25.3%) and the West (24.3%)

So where does your state rank? see here...http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

2. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

One of my favorite mondegreens, I used to think it was
    "This mellow black chick just put my spine outta place"

3. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I hope they're not going by the BMI, it's so outdated that years ago Michael Jordan's BMI considered him obese. Going by the BMI, that would also mean all those white and yellow states on the map are anorexic.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'm trying to care...

No, I'm not. I've got too much of my own to improve before I start in on everyone else's failings.

5. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

We're number 1, We're number 1!!!! :rofl:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

7. rem2429

rem2429

I am quite literally sitting in an obesity lecture and looking at the same map as I surf Glock Talk. The answer is apparently to do surgery. (at least the surgeon thinks so)

8. m51

m51

Weight loss surgery is the most under used surgery in america.

9. simotek

simotek

"I want to lose weight but I don't want to change my diet or exercise." - America

10. Ian Moone

Ian Moone

The surgery is not the answer. I've known several who have gone that route. Yes, in the first couple years, they lose weight and look good. But gradually, they stretch their stomach back out by overeating and gain ALL the weight back.

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Perhaps that is true, but I have often wondered if one could avoid anesthesia and slicing the abdomen open by taking such radical steps as eating better and exercising.

12. simotek

simotek

:supergrin:

Lifestyle change is the only way! If you are super obese surgery probably makes sense, but you still have to back that up with a change in your diet and exercise habits.

A coworker had the stomach surgery a couple years ago. She lost weight initially but then gained it all back and then some. It's bound to happen if you are unwilling to exercise and eat better.

Working out 4-5 times a week really isn't hard at all. It's easy, actually, and makes you feel 100x better.

The hard part is changing your diet... however if you do it smartly and don't go on a nazi diet it's very easy after a few weeks of adjusting.

13. moeman

moeman

Just ran Jordan's numbers and his BMI of 25 is not close to obese.

I agree that BMI doesn't tell the whole story. BAI is the newer method that takes in account of waist size to offset those with broad shoulders and muscle as opposed to being heavy in the middle. Now this measurement isn't perfect either. Hard core weight lifters and other heavily muscled people will always be hard to put into a chart.

But one thing for sure just being big (in weight) doesn't make you strong. How many 6 foot 300 ponders can do 10 chin ups?

14. smokin762

smokin762

Last year at this time, I weighed 260 lbs. Now, I weigh 205 lbs. I am 43 years old and I am 6’1”. Last year I went to the Doctors Office for a checkup. I found out that I am pre diabetic. The thought of losing my feet and eye sight scared the crap out of me.

The doctor told me, a couple of months ago that my losing weight is helping me. My goal is to reach 170 lbs. and maintain it.

If a person does not want to lose weight on their own, they won’t. They have to want it bad enough or they will just fail at their attempt. I know from my own experience and I have seen others do it.

I look back at myself and realize just how lazy I was. Yesterday an hour after dinner, my teenaged daughter and I went for a 2 mile walk. We talked about all kinds of things. I enjoyed our walk and talk. Last year, I would have struggled walking 2 miles. Now, I want to do this daily, next year a coworker and I are planning to go Black Bear hunting and I think this will help get me prepared for hunting season.

Some may not like this but, I think our all accepting society is partially to blame. As long as we turn our heads and give the message that everything is okay, than nothing will ever change.

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

If your only tool is a hammer. . .

Wasn't LA the tops last year and the last few years?? Congrats to MS for stepping up.

FWIW, I don't buy the 20% #. Obesity stats CHANGED in the recent past. As mentioned, BMI settings changed and more people were considered "fat" than were considered fat 30 years ago.

6'1" at 170 - that's skinny! You have 3" on me. If I went to 170, people would be force-feeding me. Short of a small frame, you might be closer to ideal weight than the BMI is telling you.

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

As someone who lives in Mississippi... yes, I have no doubt of this.

People watching is a different experience here.

17. m51

m51

Which WLS did they have? There are better surgery options now for the morbidly obese. However, WLS is on the stomach, not the brain. Some people will continue horrible eating habits no matter what. WLS is only a tool, a very powerful tool in fighting a very serious epidemic in america. We see many more obese children than in the past, we need to look at education.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

"People in Mississippi are so fat. They are so fat, you need widescreen vision just to people-watch. I'll tell ya. I get no respect. No respect."

19. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

it is...

For the surgeons bank account..

20. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

You just ran Jordan's numbers...well here you go:

A BMI of 25 to 29.9 = Overweight