FAT cat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Oct 8, 2005.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We adopted Iggy several months ago as some of you know. She was a rescue and estimated to be about 18 months old now. We believe she was starved at some point :( She eats like she is famished!

We had kept her about four months. When we got her she weighed 8 lbs. In those four months she went up to 12.4 lbs ;P So, she went on a diet, with everybody else who didn't need one.

Before getting her, we just kept food out in the bowl until they emptied it and Fred started whining because he could see the bottom starting to appear ;Q Now, we give them a little every morning and night.

Fred and Missy are not loosing weight, nor is Iggy!

Fred and Missy both are snackers. They nibble throughout the day. Iggy is an inhaler. She doesn't eat any table food. Fred and Missy both eat a little. The get about two, maybe three treats each per day. About once a month, I split a can or two of cat food between them.

Iggy also drinks water like she eats! She has went thru almost a bowl a day, every day since we got her (if it was sudden I would be MORE concerned). The bowl holds about two cups. Fred drinks from the same bowl, but Missy will only drink from the bathroom sink ;Q

I hate to feed them just once a day, as Fred and Missy don't really eat a full meal. But I don't want to lock Iggy away from the food either. Anybody got any suggestions?

2. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

hmm as long as healthy might try to feed or water in diferent area. i dunno. its hard. heres our cats .

heres big kitty. stray who took up to us and now is big part of family . hes 3 years old and 16 pounds. also have solid white cat named fatcat he is 22 pounds and 18 years old. after i got him fixed when a kitten he just balloned out .and hes on diet catfood gfo figure il find pic of fatcat soon.

my favorite trait of big kitty is his huge paws. check them out. they are big as a labradors.lol

3. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

fat cat on my moms front porch. last time at vet weighed 22 to 23 pounds.

hj

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It's BIG FOOT! ;P ;P ;f

Fat Cat is beautiful! I want a white kitty to name Casper ;f

5. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

<-------Loves white cats.;f

When I was a kid we had a cat that came to us as a half starved, dripping wet, scrawny stray. With a little love, (and food) he bacame a very affectionate pet. However, as long as we had him, he'd growl a little if you got too near his food while he was eating. We figured he never forgot what it was like to be starving. We lost him when one of the neighborhood bullys poisoned him with antifreeze.:(

6. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

you know i will never understand some folks sick mind as to poison an animal. i usually judge people i meet if they have pets and like animals and if they dont i just go my sepaarate way. so far ive been 100% right. there was a neighbor hood boy around when i was a kid who got caught doing same thing. sorry for the lose of your kitty. losing a pet or animal to natural causes is one thing ,having them taken from you by killing is another.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I tell ya.........Kitty Obesity is a real problem!! I see others have the same prob at their house as I do........

I got Max about 15 months ago and he was a lean 9 pounds...he is 13 now.

The kitten Milo started out at 7 weeks old at about a pound, oh man he was little and I had to buy that kitty gravy at Petsmart so he would eat.......I have weaned him off that and I leave Science Diet Dental Dry in their bowl all the time.........

Milo is about 8 pounds now, but is very lean.

I have cut Max's treats (he likes a few morsels of kitten chow type food) when I leave the house.

I worry about kitty diabetes because they get fat.......don't need to be injecting kitties with insulin!!!

8. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Thanks Hangman. We were still kind of young then, but losing that cat broke our hearts. Well, I guess every pet I've lost broke my heart for awhile.

9. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

[​IMG]

Mr. Jinx perfers the term "Husky" apposed to fat. Actually I think he perfers the tan color of his underbelly and is building it up as to maximize its fashion effect.

He is 15 pounds and 9 ozs per last vet visit a year ago. I'm sure we're somewhere north of that now!

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Exactly!

My neighbors had a Husky they had to give insulin shots to twice a day before they moved here. Thus my concern over Iggy.

Maybe next bag, I will switch them over to the Light or whatever the hairball formula offers? I hate to limit Fred and Missy's food since they are nibblers. I was hoping once Iggy settled in she would ease up and understand there would ALWAYS be more food put in the bowl.

11. DrJRiddle

DrJRiddle Uffda!

www.NorthwoodsAnimalHospital.com/Our Pets.htm
    Our clinic cats each get 1/8 cup twice per day. When Aspen got to be 11 pounds at 6 months old they went on that schedule and have stayed the same weight ever since. Aspen (left) is 11.5 pounds, Woody (right) 10 pounds and Timber (middle) is 9.5 and they are all about right for their frame. And they were all out of the same litter.
    Usually you will do better cutting down the amount of food rather than changing the type.

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

It seems Max ballooned up from about 8 or 9 pounds to 13 in nothing flat, like a couple months after he was neutered last July.......

He used to be a tom and would probably wander, now that he's clipped he is enjoying the retired good life and his only concern now is where his next meal is coming from. ;f

13. TechGal

TechGal PooDoos

You can try a weight loss diet. In the vet land, we recommend R/D from Science diet. Reduction Formula.

The thing to keep in mind with diet foods, is many(R/D included) the amount to feed based on weight is based on the goal weight, not the current weight they are at. I make sure to point that out, not every client catches that and don't have their baby loosing weight and think it is the pet.

After the ideal weight is obtained, then you should switch them over to a weight maintanence diet(W/D if previously on R/D) You can certanly keep them on the loss diet, but should watch the amount you feed so they do not keep loosing weight.

14. NevisRuprecht

NevisRuprecht

Speaking of FAT cats..

We have two cats that we got as strays when they were about 6-8 weeks old. A boy and girl, brother and sister, Zydeco and Zoe.

10 1/2 years old now Zoe (the girl) is a very petite 8 lbs, Zydeco (the boy) is 20 lbs. They eat the same diet/food and we don't give snacks (I part with some of my dinner to both cats and the dog because I am a softie).

For years we have used a gravity feeder so that the cats will have food 24/7 in case we are not able to get home for some reason. Since we both work closer to home these days I have tried to stop using the feeder and start mealtime feeding again. Zydeco gets so anxious without the feeder that he meows me to death. Not to mention that he bolts his food and then barfs.

I don't think there is anyway to ween him away from the feeder without causing a great deal of psycological issues for him. So its better to have a contented fat cat than an unhappy and barfing pain in the neck.

15. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Nevis..........
    This sounds like my Max. He will follow me down stairs each time I go down as he thinks he is going to be fed. The Science Diet dry stays down all the time. Most times I do not cave in to his begging. If the bowl gets even remotely empty he complains. He too has the "regurge" problem and will "urk" a few times a week. The vet is not too worried because at 13 plus pounds he is not missing many meals. The vet told me if they throw up within 5 minutes of "inhaling" their food it is a regurgitation thing, not vomit.

Your 20 pounder sounds like he has a endocrine imbalance. Has the vet checked it out?? 20 pounds is HUGE........

16. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I have been trying to shave weight off Leo for almost a year now.

Upgraded to Iams indoor adult hairball prev catfood.

Quit filling bowl. Now he gets food at a Tbls at a time. He drives me crazy everytime I go into the kitchen but once he gets to a certain point (over a period of an hour or so) he settles down til next time. Usually an hour or two before work, then a half hour after work. I am gonna start measuring out a cup of food at a time and give him to him via tablespoon so I can see how much he is getting and then pare him back a little to drop a pound or two.

Feeding via this method his has only thrown up maybe once every six weeks, when I give him more than I should.

17. NevisRuprecht

NevisRuprecht

ATL Peach Girl,

His lab work is always good, he and his sister are indoor cats only, and they eat Eukanuba Senior. Zydeco is a big cat, tall and long so he distributes the weight over a large area. He is a polydactyl (22 toes + thumbs) so we figure internally he may also be a little different than other cats as well.

18. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Check Out Garfield Jr. here. I found this pic on the net.

;g

;8 ;I

19. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I think you are right. Are you aware that kittens of the same litter can come from different fathers?? It's true. Those pesky female cats when they are in heat just get with any Tom, Dick and Harry!! Really!! So the girl may have a different father than the boy.

Post a pic of these 2 rascals!! ;f

20. NevisRuprecht

NevisRuprecht

Pics of the family:

Zydeco ("shmoo" to those of us that know him well). Notice the backwards rabbit feet.

[​IMG]

His sister and partner in crime Zoe. Beautiful and perfect yet insane.

[​IMG]

And just for good measure - Waffles the SuperDog.

[​IMG]

As to Zydeco and Zoe - We got them (found them) near my parents home in Florida. Can you believe someone tossed them out of their car next to I-10 ? We consider ourselves very lucky to have them.