Fat Burners?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Jul 1, 2007.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Fat Burners? Waste of money or for real? Which would you recommend?

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

If you're typing about the drug type, I'd guess they're a waste of time and will be found someday to cause health problems. If things like that really worked, then it seems like almost every person we see wouldn't be 50 lb or more overweight.

I haven't researched these things, though, so these are just my guesses.

How's the PL coming along? Your back fix itself?

3. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Hey, where are you in SE AL? I used to work in Eufaula.

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Nope! Back is still in bad shape. I wont be powerlifting anytime soon. Another guy on the team got hurt as well. He blow out his left knee. I'm in Chambers Co.

ps
    I'm still lifting but not near as much weight.:sad:

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

It's definitely not easy to stay healthy while PL. Good luck and get well soon.

I feel for you because I have some back issues too, although maybe not as bad at the moment. Ever since I re-started working out about 14-15 months ago, my back gets tight and threatens to spasm.

I'd have to look at a map to see where Chambers County is.

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I used Hydroxycut over 10 years ago (before ephedrine was banned) while I was doing BB routines and very little cardio. It seemed to work because I was staying lean while eating anything I wanted (back then, my diet was very poor so it included lotsa stops into the golden arches). However, I am leaner now without it. My GF at the time was also on it. After a few months of taking it, she had major headaches and crashes when she didn't take it.

With what I know now, I'd say it is a waste of money. Staying lean for me just means tabata squats or burpees in the morning, eating healthy in whatever amounts, and 2-3 metcon workouts a week. I'd rather spend the money on whole foods.

7. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Holy Cow. You do tabata squats or burpees in the morning in addition to your regular workouts? I'd say that makes you a recovery beast!

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Since tabatas have metabolic effects lasting many hours, I think the 4 minutes is well spent in the morning, especially because I don't work out until late afternoons or evenings.

9. DBradD

DBradD Guest

That is so cool. I think I might try that. Do you go for absolute "ready to pass out" effort, or go a few short of your PR?

I wonder what would happen if one did a slightly sub max set in the morning and right before bed. I usually sleep very well after a hard effort like that.

10. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

It is definitely a sub-max effort - just enough to get my blood flowing. Occasionally, I'll jump on the C2 instead and just sprint for 500m. It's a great pre-shower activity, and I don't need much warm up.

Right before bed would be tough for me. It would warm up the body, and I want the opposite to fall asleep.

11. DBradD

DBradD Guest

You do this with IF, meaning that you eat many hours later? If so, you must have an iron will.

I think I'm going to do an experiment. I am NOT a morning person, so there's no way I will do something like this pre-shower. Today after my upper body strength workout, I did tabata squats as a finisher. I dropped about 4 from my PR effort and was still toasted by the end. I might add those to any workout that didn't already obliterate my legs for a little while to see what happens.

My wife is fired up to drop her baby weight, so is starting to watch her diet. When she's on, she's on, and vice versa. For the last 6 months, she's been off, which has made it darn near impossible for me to be extremely accurate. I think I might take this opportunity to clean up my diet and see where that takes me.

12. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Brad.........
    Must be an engineer thing.

Turbo........
    What kind of times are you getting first thing in the am and without warming up? Sub 1:30?

13. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Sub 1:30? Soon perhaps, but not yet. My PR is 1:41 on the small sprocket (I have a model B, which does not have dampers). Sprints with very little warm-up, I shoot for 1:50ish; sometimes I hit 1:45, while others are closer to 1:55. I really don't do it for time in the mornings. It is simply to get the blood flowing. Heck, I not even hydrated properly in the mornings.

I haven't figured out the pace, the breathing, the stroke and the rhythm to get close to 1:30s for my PR attempts. It is still my goal to hit 1:30 but I haven't gone for a PR attempt in months.

14. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Yes, with IF. However, my will is more like soft aluminum :supergrin: . If it were iron, my Fran times would be much closer to the freaky 3:00s.

Since our other discussion about Paleo, I've allowed myself to eat some fruit in the mornings if I need it. A banana or some strawberries would go a long way. However, I've only needed it once. Usually, I just drink a lot of water to hold off the hunger until my feed window.

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

LOL, I'm starting to believe in being genetically programmed in that regard.

I woke up at 5:30-6:00 for 9 years and never got used to it--always hated it. As soon as I got back to school where I make up my own schedule, I go to bed at about 1:00am and get up at 8-9am (depending on 5 month old of course). I very often train at 11-12 at night.

16. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Sounds like mild steel at least.

I'll never approach 3:00 because I'll probably never kip. I wonder what's a freaky non-kipping time. I do the 95 lb thrusters no problem.

I hope that eating doesn't mess you up. I don't know enough about physiology to know the implications. Strictly in paleo theory, it makes sense to me. If a H/G runs across some fruit or veggies any time, I assume he'd eat it.

Hey, set another 100 burpees PR day before yesterday: 8:04! That's almost into the "good" range, I think. I did 12 starting at the first of each minute. Getting faster, with smooth form of course, seems to be the key--leaves more time to rest and a slow burpee makes me just as tired, if not moreso. I think that might be the most tired I've ever been.

17. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

YEAH, burpees! Nice job :thumbsup:

I've been on this cycle of IF for only 3 weeks. No ill-effects so far. No cheating except once when I went to brunch with a friend. Roughly 2 lbs. leaner.

18. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Turbo,

I haven't gotten below 1:30 yet. My best is 1:31.6. That was, however, at 1 in the afternoon and after a very thorough warmup.

I think 1:45ish is about what I do under the circumstances layed out in this thread.

Anyhow, as for fat burning, I agree with Turbo. High intensity exercise in the morning and not eating a couple hours afterwards has been productive for me in the past. I did somethiing more than 500 meters on the C2 though.

19. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Cool.

I don't know your PRs, but from what you've typed recently, it sounds like you might be transforming into a beast!

20. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Nice PR, Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I am at a disadvantage as I am only 5'7" - at least that is what I tell myself when I don't get the time I want :)