GlockTalk Forum banner

What's the fastest mph you've gone in a car?

• Under 100 mph

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 100-120 mph

Votes: 71 20.3%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 116 33.2%
  • 140-160 mph

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 160-180 mph

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • 180-200 mph

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 200+ mph

Votes: 6 1.7%
161 - 180 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
130+ in a 1970 Dodge Demon 340, 4spd. I stopped looking at the speedo when it crossed 130. I've been over 180 on a Yamaha R1 on the front straight at Summit Main.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,477 Posts
Before all the cell phones, cameras and such I did somewhere between 120-140 running code 3 down a highway one night. It was late and there wasn't much traffic on the highway either.
The only other deputy on in the county had got on the radio and announced shots fired.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
13,155 Posts
Probably the longest sustained speed for me was in a Porsche 928S. 177 as I recall. Did the Silver State Classic Challenge. 92 miles flat out (for the most part).

I've been well over 165 in a few cars.

Now, the fastest car I've ever been in.... That is a good question. Could be a Ferrari F40 or a Porsche 935DP.

And for bikes.... My Kawasaki ZX14. Upwards of 160 and 145 with my wife on the back. That scoot was wildly fast!.
The 928 was an incredibly fast car; I remember an article in Road and Track where they had it at 186, stock from the showroom floor, and they said it was like driving to the store on the highway, perfecrly smooth.....

I was a 911 guy back then , my Targa was fast as hell but the rear engine Porsches defintiely had a steep learning curve when you first started driving them....

·
Premium Member
22,760 Posts
143 in a Corvette C7 on the track at Spring Mountain motor sports. Back straight away.
You must have been on one of the bigger tracks. Best I got was 112 on the track I was on. Admittedly, I probably could have done 120 in a Z06, but the lead car kept me from getting all the way on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Whenever I got a new assigned cruiser I’d take it out on the interstate and test the top speed. We had some dogs over the years. A 1984 Crown Vic could manage 102, but took a week to get there. Into the 2000’s the CV would reach 125.

My C6 Vette supposedly can reach 180, but I back out around 100.

I had my 1990 Electraglide up to 100 once, it had a little left and I was actually surprised it could reach that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
28,660 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
In the early 90's, my buddy had a berlinetta camaro that he had just swapped a bigger engine into. I don't remember what size. But he took me for a five minute ride of pure terror. I think the fastest indicated was 150. Way too fast for public streets.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Getting a 70s trans am to 175 would require a LOT OF POWER. A lot.
The right gearing and the Bonneville Salt Flats as well. Very few American cars if any from that era could get that top end. The Daytonas and Superbirds set up right maybe.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I won a ride with Carol Shelby in a Cobra. Shelby American Club meeting in the early 90s in Portland OR. About 138 when I looked over at the speedo.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The 928 was an incredibly fast car; I remember an article in Road and Track where they had it at 186, stock from the showroom floor, and they said it was like driving to the store on the highway, perfecrly smooth.....

I was a 911 guy back then , my Targa was fast as hell but the rear engine Porsches defintiely had a steep learning curve when you first started driving them....
Yeah, it was Porsche's best kept secret IMHO. I sold a 930 and purchased a 79 Ferrari 308 GTS. Had it about a year and someone wanted it more than me and paid handsomely for the Ferrari. Then I bought the 928S. Damn it was a fine car. Did everything so well it was almost boring!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
No, the 1987 with a 350 fuel injection.
I was just wondering what was done to it to add the 100 hp extra it would need to go that fast.

·
HEMIs, guns, and booze
832 Posts
That depends, what is the statute of limitations these days?;)
My SRT is capable of 182 mph, but my heart no longer is. I've always been way more into 0-60 times than top speeds anyway. A downshift followed by a pedal stomp makes heads bounce off headrests followed by ear to ear smiles. My passengers always leave satisfied and alive.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That depends, what is the statute of limitations these days?;)
My SRT is capable of 182 mph, but my heart no longer is. I've always been way more into 0-60 times than top speeds anyway. A downshift followed by a pedal stomp makes heads bounce off headrests followed by ear to ear smiles. My passengers always leave satisfied and alive.
I agree. Another thing I have come to appreciate is big brakes. Getting more and more common on cars. I had a 70 Mach One Mustang in high school, and rebuilt that 351 to HAUL! All that with 4 wheel drum brakes......

·
Registered
19,173 Posts
Dad had a 70's something Chrysler New Yorker, 440 CID and auto tranny. He got it just over 120 with me in the passenger seat. 2 things, Don't tell your mother and don't let me catch you doing this.

161 - 180 of 244 Posts