GlockTalk Forum banner

What's the fastest mph you've gone in a car?

• Under 100 mph

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 100-120 mph

Votes: 71 20.3%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 116 33.2%
  • 140-160 mph

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 160-180 mph

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • 180-200 mph

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 200+ mph

Votes: 6 1.7%
141 - 160 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
160+ in my Camaro SS

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
They did make it but they didn't use the CVPI moniker. It was my state issued marked cruiser. I was there as honor guard for the I-40 opening ceremonies. I-40 was barricaded at I-95. We were there to practice the ceremonies which took place the next day. About a dozen of our vehicles went thru and I and a Sergeant placed the barricade back across the road. As I pulled away I saw in my rear view mirror somebody stop and start to move the barricade. Went back and stopped a couple from getting around it which would probably have been a mess if others did the same. Down the road at Newton Grove there were bleachers already installed on the highway for the opening ceremonies. After securing the barricade we hit the road and arrived at the site just as the last car in line was getting there.
I remember being young and dumber than I am now. There were a few times roads were blocked for racing... not sure the police sanctioned it though.

There was one time that they showed up at the house because of 20ish bikes in the driveway and somehow the popo thought that that group of bikes was associated with the road being blocked and racing going on. We helped the popo out and told them we heard the racing too and there were a bunch of Harleys driving around. The racing sounded like Harleys. Gave them some descriptions of the bikes we saw and the riders. For some reason the cops didnt believe us?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Car: 115 mph in an 80's Nissan 200SX (300ZX engine and suspension in a 700 lb lighter hatchback - it would bark the tires going into 3rd gear). I would have run it up to 140-150, but the driveshaft was out of balance and had a horrendous vibration at 115.

Motorcycle: 127 mph (top speed) on my 1980's Honda Nighthawk 650.

Sailplane (glider): 150 knots (max. allowable speed, about 172 mph), ridge soaring, just feet away from trees on a mountain ridgeline with wind coming up the slope. I was climbing at that speed, because of the wind going upward. At the end of the ridge, I would pull up vertical, do a stall turn, come back down and go back up the ridge in the opposite direction. That was like flying a fighter jet, and extremely fun.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
What I have driven that felt the absolute fastest.

High power go-karts.

They just feel fast. And corner like hell.
The fastest "feeling" thing I ever drove ( and still drive) is my old Jeep; no doors, no top, slightly lifted, no sway bars and leaf springs front and rear; at 75 mph it is terrifying, and as for corners, well, it's a brick.....

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
4,299 Posts
I read through this entire thread and had a real trip down memory lane! Driving 100+ was routine in the 60's with cars that would do the speed but had sub standard drum brakes and crappy tires. Seat belts hadn't been installed in older cars, yet and I just wonder how the heck we survived?

The ten mile stretch between Carbondale and Carterville Illinois was straight and level and we used it as a Bonneville test track. Many unlucky souls were liberated in end over end roll over crashes.

Sometimes, I wonder if I was really killed in those ignorant days and the rest of this life was just a dream. I must have had angels looking out for me.

Later, while living in Kansas, I worked at a gas station where we washed and serviced the Kansas Highway Patrol cars. I saw first hand what a genuine high speed pursuit car was! It started with six ply speed rated tires and was built from the ground up to fly! How anyone driving his daddy's hot car could think that he'd outrun those Highway Patrol cars was just stupid!

Flash

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Probably the longest sustained speed for me was in a Porsche 928S. 177 as I recall. Did the Silver State Classic Challenge. 92 miles flat out (for the most part).

I've been well over 165 in a few cars.

Now, the fastest car I've ever been in.... That is a good question. Could be a Ferrari F40 or a Porsche 935DP.

And for bikes.... My Kawasaki ZX14. Upwards of 160 and 145 with my wife on the back. That scoot was wildly fast!.

Reactions: Ramjet38

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
That would have been an LTD police package, a completely different vehicle, with a 5.8 ( 351 Windsor) and the box body; the CVPI ( which carried the "police interceptor" badge , the LTD, in any of it's 1980's forms, did not) had a 4.6 and was a totally different vehicle; I was around back then too....
That's right! An LTD. Can't remember scat any more. My last cruiser was a 94.

·
A swamp dude
11,034 Posts
We were going as fast as it would run, about 120 as I recall, in a new 1957 Ford convertible with the top down on a two-lane state highway. The guy driving didn’t back off until a big curve came up, and we damned near didn’t get through it. I’ve often thought how far we might have been thrown if the car rolled at that speed.

Some of us are lucky to be alive. I’ve tempted fate so many times on the road in situations I would never consider repeating today. High speeds on recap tires for example. A good many of my friends didn’t make it.

Reactions: ROGER4314

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
In a very modified 1974 DeTomaso Pantera L, 160 MPH as driver, 165 MPH as passenger.

I saw a nice video of someone close to me driving a McLaren, IIRC it was the 720S, running at 194 MPH somewhere on a lonely stretch of road in the western US desert.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,854 Posts
Around 143-145MPH. 2005 Mustang GT. Still had more to go.

I was very surprised.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Got a EMS call for a child in cardiac arrest after falling into a pond, with CPR reportedly in progress.

I was riding in the car with the fire chief, and the chief's vehicle was a Chevy Caprice police model with the V8. We hit 105 mph on the way. Not the most impressive speed, but it was for me at age 19.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,465 Posts
I think the driver at the Daytona ride along told me we got up to 180.

I almost wet my pants.

Reactions: Ramjet38

·
Registered
347 Posts
It was in a buddy's Trans Am back in the late 70s. He had extra large rear tires so the speedometer wasn't right he figured the speed from how much the speedometer was off & checked that by the tach. He figured we were going about 175mph. He wanted to go faster but we were running out of road for stopping.
It was a long straight road with very few crossing roads & it was late at night. LOL

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Now, the fastest car I've ever been in.... That is a good question. Could be a Ferrari F40 or a Porsche 935DP.
Mid 2000s there was a local guy with a Ferrari F40LM. Have some pictures following him on the local racetrack. It was "licensed" for street use (he ran dealer plates on it).

If you google the F40LM his name was Roland. There is some question about that F40LM.

This is guy and the car

View: https://youtu.be/yR_BT6tUKDo

I will have to dig out some pictures of the car and being on the track with it.

Attachments

Reactions: 1L26

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
It was in a buddy's Trans Am back in the late 70s. He had extra large rear tires so the speedometer wasn't right he figured the speed from how much the speedometer was off & checked that by the tach. He figured we were going about 175mph. He wanted to go faster but we were running out of road for stopping.
It was a long straight road with very few crossing roads & it was late at night. LOL
Getting a 70s trans am to 175 would require a LOT OF POWER. A lot.

Reactions: Lazy R and jmaj

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,652 Posts
My brother had a 1970 Camaro Z28, with a built 350 engine. The speedometer was pegged at a 130. Awesome car for a 19 year old kid. I am amazed he didn't kill us both.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Not a car. My 1996 Kaw ZX1100. Smoothbores, slight increase in compression and a Micron 4-1 pipe. Work was done by Ken Grey (Shawnee Motorsports). "Indicated" 180 with a little left - I-70 across Kansas many times. Was any easy cruise at 160. A docile sweet ride. :cheers:

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
My general comment, is that people should run a GPS and then get in cars that can really hit high speeds.

I think people over estimate how fast vehicles are.

When I was drag racing, it was always funny. I raced at 5000ft (so way down on power). At least 50% of the cars waiting to get into the drag strip on a test and tune night were 10 second cars. Somehow, they lost 5 to 7 seconds between the entry gates and the track surface.

(at 5000ft a true low 13 second street car is fast...)

Reactions: Lazy R and Haldor

·
Registered
318 Posts
151 mph in a pseudo Indycar. Fontana Speedway in SoCal. It's one thing to go fast in a straight line, quite another when you have to turn.
127 on a motorcycle with a calibrated speedo. Older and wiser me tries to keep it in the double digits.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,270 Posts
Top speed stuff isn't really my 'thing'. I don't like the idea of going so fast that I skip past just getting a ticket and, instead, go directly to jail...... or, you know, dying...
You say that like it's a bad thing.

141 - 160 of 244 Posts