GlockTalk Forum banner

What's the fastest mph you've gone in a car?

• Under 100 mph

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 100-120 mph

Votes: 71 20.3%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 116 33.2%
  • 140-160 mph

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 160-180 mph

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • 180-200 mph

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 200+ mph

Votes: 6 1.7%
101 - 120 of 244 Posts

·
Scottish Member
11,452 Posts
160 indicated in a Dodge Viper on the back straight at VIR. The car could do more, but not with me in the driver seat.
I had a friend with a early Viper and rode as a passenger on the track. As I recall, as speed built, you could actually feel the rear lifting. Unlike the 930's, which you could feel getting lower and "heavier" as speed built.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
My GT3 will do 190, but I’m not planning on pressing the loud button quite that hard. At 125 it feels like you’re doing about 80 or 90 but as it creeps higher and faster the straight sections of the track suddenly become a lot shorter and big azz brakes much more important than horsepower.

·
κολασμένος
18,392 Posts
Recently? ~130 in an Audi A6. Felt fast, but stable and safe.

Last time we did this I posted about the time I did 106 in my gutless 75 Dodge Dart. Felt stupid fast and insanely dangerous. Which it probably was. :rofl:

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,267 Posts
143 on a GS1000 (Suzuki Motorcycle). Back in the late 70's. Old school Japanese muscle bike.

Not my bike, but mine looked just like this. I really loved this bike.

1978-Suzuki-GS1000-W.jpeg

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not sure I ever went over 110 in a car, but in 1984, my brother showed up at my workplace at lunchtime with his new Honda V65 Sabre, and I had that thing over 120 on I-84 in Farmington, CT. That's the fastest I ever went on a motorcycle, and it was actually kind of scary. I never felt the need to go that fast again.
I rode Harleys for my department for many years. They only topped out around 112-115 depending on if you were drafting off another motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Rational
14,377 Posts
A racing Toyota MR2 at PIR years ago when I was a young teen. 165 MPH.

On the street with my own car, over 130 mph. That was in a 1989 2.5 liter Turbo-powered Chrystler LeBaron coupe. Christ above, that car was fast. A lot of tickets and traffic stops in that thing.

A few months back, I did 114 in a governed Cadillac SLS. Ungoverned, that thing would have topped out at 140, easy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Officially timed and sanctioned is 131mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats. That event was a standing mile. 2 consecutive runs average to be 131.something. 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged. Car was 100% bone stock from the way I bought it brand new from the dealer. The secret was to bounce off the rev limiter in 4th gear because shifting to 5th cost me too much speed and I'd end up just below 130 when crossing the finish line. Electronic governor was 148, and I've hit it a time or 2 on paved road. Before trading the car for something more family friendly I had a few mods done that [mathematically] should've pushed it to ~170mph, but never got the chance to see what it would do. I was hoping to return to Bonneville, but that never happened.

Btw, I hate electronic governors. My current truck, a 2020 Silverado with the 6.2 is limited to 98. I've hit it a few times passing somebody on a 2 lane highway. The truck gets there very quickly and easily, and has plenty of oomph to get way past that speed.

I've also hit the limiter in my wife's 2017 Traverse which is set at 108. I was in the right lane of the interstate in the middle of nowhere. Came upon a slower vehicle and went to pass in the left lane. Driver decided to accelerate to prevent me from getting in front of them. Concerned they would try to get in front of me and do a brake check I decided to floor it. I started pulling away, then hit the electronic limiter. The dude I went to pass flew right by me and kept on going. I slowed down and settled back to my cruising speed of 88mph (no pun intended as I always go 8 over the posted limit on interstates and 4 over on the road in towns).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Previously Jisbell40
693 Posts
2018 Dodge Charger police package, heading to a call where the man who trained me was stabbed by a meth head. 166 mph was all she had. All wheel drive 5.7 hemi. The sorry part is my uncle has a slightly older gt350. We raced it red light to red light one time and the mustang absolutely destroyed my patrol car.

Got up to 139 on a ninja 1000 and I got there in a damn hurry. Never got on another bike

·
The eBay Guy
20,603 Posts
135+ in my tuned 340i... It's not so much impressive that it did 135+, it's how fast it got there and the fact it had so much more left (limiter removed), but I didn't feel like dying or going to jail.

I routinely hit around 110-120 on back roads, but it's just the fact that the car gets there so fast. Before I know it, I'm well into triple digits. Top speed stuff isn't really my 'thing'. I don't like the idea of going so fast that I skip past just getting a ticket and, instead, go directly to jail...... or, you know, dying...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My funniest driving fast story was when I was in a short pursuit in an old V8 Crown Victoria chasing a suspect in a smaller more nimble sports car.

When dispatch asked my speed and I told them, they sounded confused and asked me to "say again". Apparently they just couldn't comprehend the triple digits on a 2 lane highway. Within a couple of seconds of them realizing my speed, and before the supervisor could call off the pursuit, the suspect crashed into a telephone pole, fled out the passenger side door since the driver's door was inoperable, and ran on foot. Unfortunately for him, he ran into an area enclosed by a high fence and was apprehended.

Ahh the good old days.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Ah The good old days,
But now....as Clint said "man gotta' know his limitations" 80 to 85 on FL Tpke, (2019 Macan S) in the non rush hour times heading south from Palm Beach till you get to Broward county line.....from there south it gets nutso

101 - 120 of 244 Posts