GlockTalk Forum banner

What's the fastest mph you've gone in a car?

• Under 100 mph

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 100-120 mph

Votes: 71 20.3%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 116 33.2%
  • 140-160 mph

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 160-180 mph

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • 180-200 mph

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 200+ mph

Votes: 6 1.7%
221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I’ve hit about 135 in a 2006 Audi A4 1.8T automatic. That was really fun car even with the auto. I prayed for snow and had a ball on the local highways when it did. With that revvy engine and auto it was point and shoot. Just up and down on the accelerator and let her rev out!

·
Registered
238 Posts
155 in my hugger orange 1979 z28...on 84 upstate ny...got pulled over by state police...asked me do you know how fast you were going....said buried the needle at 150 so really don't know...showed me on his radar 155..we talked...he gave me a ticket...thanked him...

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
140+ in a 78 Crown Vic on an interstate pursuit as a driver. 140 + in an AMC Javelin as a passenger while stabilizing a gunshot victim en route to the hospital.
There is an interesting story there that needs to be told.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In the late '90's I was gathering footage for a local Fox affiliate for a drunk driving news special. We rode with the state police late into the night for about a week. One night we drove for about 30 minutes on a pretty desolate interstate in his marked Z-28 patrol car. We mostly were going around 140-145 mph but sometimes 150. I was sitting on the hump in the backseat with a shot of his shoulder patch, speedometer and a sticker on the dash that said "occupants must use seatbelts". He wanted to do it so he could give a copy of that part to the state road guys that shared the building his barracks were in.

·
17,584 Posts
I'm really not all that impressed by top speeds. I've flown faster than I've ever driven and the kind of speed that impresses me is something like mach 1 which I've never had the opportunity to experience.

But on the ground what I like is acceleration. And the fastest I've ever accelerated was once riding on the back of a Kawasaki 750 triple which could actually go faster with two people because the driver could lean forward to keep the front wheel down, and another time I was at the street drags
and a guy with a 1969 427 Corvette with nitrous was selling nitrous oxide injection systems and took me for two runs in that car once without nitrous and once with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was a Trooper Cadet on my first ride-a-long. We were sent out into Montgomery County to "assist" the county on a shooting. Located a car with the victim in it, had been shot 3 times with a .22 straight into his ear. We put him in the front passenger seat of the Javelin and I was in the back seat stabilizing his head, Trooper was flat-out to the hospital with him, over 140 mph. That was a wild night, with a DUI, 15 year old speeding/no dl, fatality wreck and the shooting victim. I was like, is this a normal night shift, busy or slow? Trooper told me it had been a very busy night. OK, I'll stick around then....LOL

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
I was a Trooper Cadet on my first ride-a-long. We were sent out into Montgomery County to "assist" the county on a shooting. Located a car with the victim in it, had been shot 3 times with a .22 straight into his ear. We put him in the front passenger seat of the Javelin and I was in the back seat stabilizing his head, Trooper was flat-out to the hospital with him, over 140 mph. That was a wild night, with a DUI, 15 year old speeding/no dl, fatality wreck and the shooting victim. I was like, is this a normal night shift, busy or slow? Trooper told me it had been a very busy night. OK, I'll stick around then....LOL

If the Trooper had said, "Actually this a slower night than usual," that would've been the time to think about changing career goals... :)

·
10mm Philosopher
6,096 Posts
Most likely a 190-mph ... but the Interceptor's top speed is unknown.

"600 horsepower through the wheels with the blower!"
photo.JPG

photo.JPG

·
Registered
75,967 Posts
Probably a Chevy Caprice with a 350-4bbl engine 120mph+.

·
Process Engineer
4,392 Posts
I've had the R8 upto 145 and with ease. It has a top end of 205, but yeah stateside roads are iffy. The fastest I have been was 160 in my brothers Porsche Cayman S, on the Autobahn. It was crazy smooth. That road is a engineering feat!
R8 V-10.jpg

The one in the rear, the Front is his wife's Macan GTS
22041925_1616108615117626_738374163816018098_o.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
1. 1967 Triumph Spitfire 4 MKII (I think) 65mph (top speed) in a turn. Fun car
2. 1972 Chevelle Malibu 120 pegged speedometer horizontal
3. 1978 Camaro with a 140 speedometer pointing strait down, going down hill on a loooong stretch of the I84 interstate heading towards Pa. at 3am following a newish Monte Carlo Aerocoupe and a newish Grand Trans Am. I doubt I will ever try that again.
4, 88 Firebird Formula, 110 and had to back down as the front end got a bit light
5. 2000 Mustang GT Convertable at 105 with the top down just because.

...Ron

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ran my Hemi Ram up to over 100mph a few weeks ago and let off right at 105. Yesterday, I had a stretch of open road and did it again. Except, when I actually hit 105mph, it ticked back. Hmm... a quick search showed me that the Rams are limited to 105 mph even though it would obviously go faster than that.

But, unless you’re taking it to the track and drag racing, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to get a vehicle that size beyond 105. Slowing down could be a problem and if you approach a turn, it’s going to get hairy.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
About 125 in a friend's 5 series BMW in Germany in 1980. Felt plenty fast to me. More recently, did 120 on the speedo in my Subaru Outback 6-cylinder in rural Wyoming on a long straightaway. My wife was dozing. When she woke up and started screaming at me I slowed down to about 90. It was a rush going that fast in an Outback.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
110mph in camaro iroc z28 on I-10 coming from sxan ntonio

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
186 and bouncing it off the rev limiter in a circa 1990 911 Cabriolet. I was NOT driving, just trying to keep from ****tin' my drawers. Driver was a pro race car driver but we were not on a track.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
138 in a hemi charger (stupid speed limiter)
118 in my exwife's v6 camaro (stupid speed limiter)
142 in my bmw (i removed the speed limiter)

all on a closed freeway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
906 Carrera 6 With blower upgrade. In primer only thought that might make it less noticeable. RPM, gear and tires indicated just a tad over 200. WV I -64. 3AM did not pass anyone. One way loaded it in enclosed trailer to return home. Dumb, not under any influence.

·
Registered
22 Posts

77 trans am. I bought this while I was in the navy and returned after a year and four days from Midway Island In 78. At 123 MPH it would blow a fan belt and send pieces up through the shaker hood. Happened twice. Scared the crap out of a 20 year old kid. Took me a few years to realize that I wasn't immortal. Now I drive F150s. Wife says i drive like a old man..............Well Duh.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts