GlockTalk Forum banner

What's the fastest mph you've gone in a car?

• Under 100 mph

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 100-120 mph

Votes: 71 20.3%
  • 120-140 mph

Votes: 116 33.2%
  • 140-160 mph

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 160-180 mph

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • 180-200 mph

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 200+ mph

Votes: 6 1.7%
201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Mountain Man
6,858 Posts
My Dad's stories are in many ways crazier than mine. I think the oldest vehicles I have traveled 100+ MPH were from the 1960s. He was racing cars in the 1940s and doing stupid things on motorcycles in the 1950s.

My Dad tells a great story of riding from San Francisco to Grace Idaho during the mid 1950s on a BMW motorcycle and getting pulled over doing 115 mph somewhere in Idaho. The Trooper asked my Dad where he was coming from, upon hearing San Francisco the Trooper exclaimed "*$%#! (^$%# you've been riding like this all day!" One my my Dad's motorcycle buddies during that period had a Vincent Black Shadow, which as I recall was the fastest production motorcycle until the 1980s.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I hit 110 in a Ferrari when I was in Italy a few years ago. My friends called total BS until I showed them the go pro video. That was a hell of a drive.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Had a Pontiac Catalina with a 400 in it. I was running from a cop on a back road that was long and straight and was just looking in the rear view and flooring the pedal. I looked at the speed and 120 mph was being pegged. Loved the 400. I had two different Catalinas.
Aw man, my folks brought me home from the hospital in a 1960 Pontiac Catalina. It had a 421 tri-power mill. They had it until I was eight. That thing moved. I was a toddler when mom got stopped for speeding. I accidently ratted her our (hey, I was maybe four) and she told me years later that the cop smirked, scolded her, then let her go. Gosh you guys trigger some ancient memories!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
My favorite Gixxer. I rode quite a few of them in the 80s. I used to call them 'dial a wheelie". I bought 2 750s in '86 (one of each color), always regretted not buying the 1100 that was sitting next to them on the floor. The blue and white 1100 was beautiful.
Destroyed my blue and white 750 at the track. Sold the red a couple years later and bought an '88. Hated it. Turns I could easily take on my 86 had me dragging the hard parts on the 88. Heavier, lower, wider... duller....
The first gens were a hoot. Too bad tire tech was a bit behind, they would have been beasts back then with tires that could match the performance of the rest of the bike.
I hear you on the white and blue, the white was pearlescent and gorgeous up close. When I bought mine, it was thew first shipment to arrive in Canada in early February(six months before they were available in the US). When the dealership told me that the red and blue was not available, I told them to ship me the blue and white instead (I lived in Florida and wanted it for Daytona in March). When I opened the crate and saw the colors, I was glad that the red and blue was not available. Unfortunately, it only took me four months to wad it. Pictures are before and after.
GSXR1100.jpg
GSXR1100.jpg
scan0211.jpg

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Ok. Since we are showing our first Gen GSXRs..

GSXR_S10_02.jpg

_GSXR_NOS_01.jpg

She made some power (88 shot of nitrous might have helped)....

Reactions: 1L26

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Here is the F40LM

F40LM Dec 02_008.JPG

F40LM Dec 02_005.JPG

F40LM Dec 02_011.JPG

F40LM Dec 02_001.JPG

And here is a photo I took as a passenger following it.. He did track the car..

Second Creek From Inside Garys 951 Dec 02_004.JPG

·
17,596 Posts
125 mph in my 1991 Dodge Daytona ES V-6. Since that car I have owned much faster (2000 Mustang GT/2006 Mustang GT/2016 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT/2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT/2018 Challenger Scat Pack), but, by the time I owned those cars, I had matured enough to know better than to act a fool on public roads.
Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT/2018 Challenger Scat Pack 4 wheel drive? Could you actually take it off road or doesn't it have enough ground clearance?

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT/2018 Challenger Scat Pack 4 wheel drive? Could you actually take it off road or doesn't it have enough ground clearance?
AWD drive. The SRTs did not have ground clearance. Also no 4 low.

There are not many that ever offered both performance and low range.

I think the only two current production models that are high performance and two-speed transfer case are an G-Wagen G63 and Range Rover SVR.

There isn't a huge cross over market that wants fast and low range. And a two speed transfer case adds weight and complexity. Even then low profile tires are not really good off-road....

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
You can take anything off road...

Reactions: Cali-Glock

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,660 Posts
Khufu called it. The only way the Grand Cherokee SRT would go off road, is if it slid off the highway.

However, Jeep is now offering a Jeep Wrangler, with the 6.4 SRT V-8 and a factory lift. Taking orders now. Must......resist.....

https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...-really-building-another-v-8-wrangler-429891/

Reactions: Borg Warner

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I had to drive a Z06 Corvette from an auction I worked at to a dealership. On a long, straight stretch of highway, I managed to get just above 160 mph before I caught up to traffic and had to slow down.

A very long time ago while on a road trip, on a stretch of highway in northern Texas, a car using me as a pace vehicle pulled in for gas behind me. They said they were sticking with me because I was driving fast, and had gotten up to 116 for a period of time. I was driving an 87 Chevy K10 short bed that was lifted and sitting on 33's. I had no idea, because the speedometer topped out at 85.

·
Registered
118 Posts
140+ in a 78 Crown Vic on an interstate pursuit as a driver. 140 + in an AMC Javelin as a passenger while stabilizing a gunshot victim en route to the hospital.

·
Mountain Man
6,858 Posts
You can take anything off road...
This!

My Dad taught me to drive off road in a 2WD vehicle towing a trailer on roads marked 4x4 only. His attitude was a shovel an boards will get us out of anything. One time in high school a group of us were driving about and I was the only one not in a four-wheel-drive vehicle. The guy in the lead kept trying to lose me; my best friend was in in his jeep with him and several times he kept saying well Cali-Glock won't be able to follow me here, and my friend smiled and said he'll get through that no problem. The only place I did not attempt to follow them was on a hill climb.

I have had folks brag about how they have traversed particular roads in their outfitted 4x4 only to have me casually remark that I have traversed the same road several times in regular passenger cars.

Rental cars are especially good.
I have been places in late 1980s and 1990s rental Cadillacs that a lot of ********* Jeepers would not go!

Question How Fast Have You Driven Off Road?

110-115 mph... in a rental car. Thought my teeth were going to shake out of my head.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, wind resistance is weird, it's exponential. It takes more than four times as much power to go twice as fast. I'm sure there is an actual formula, but I don't know what it is.

Rough guesstimate...

A 100 hp car can go 100 mph.
150 hp 120 mph
200 hp 140 mph
250 hp 150 mph
300 hp 160 mph
400 hp 175 mph
500 hp 190 mph
Aero drag goes as square of speed but you are covering the distance in less time so that multiplies power to speed to a cubic dependence. As in, to go twice as fast takes 8 times the power.

·
It ain't over
8,040 Posts
Back in the early 70's I had a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner up to 144mph - by the car's speedometer FWIW. Who knows how accurate it was at that speed. The car was unusual in the fact that it had a 3spd manual transmission on the floor. No power steering or power brakes. And a very high rear end gear - maybe 2,5x/1? It did have factory tinted glass - it was a real looker. Road Runners came with painted steel wheels and 'dog dish' hub caps. I put some high end Anson Sprint aluminum wheels on it.

383 Magnum - 335hp/425 ftlb torque. The tach wouldn't red line until 105mph in second gear. And it would pull strong for a long time after that. Above 140 I remember the hood was buffeting pretty bad - I wondered if it would fly off. It just didn't have anything left after 144 - valves floating. I just backed her down. I only did it one time. There's a 3-4 mile straight stretch north of where I lived. It was a very lonely place back then and still is today. It was safe for everyone - except me on my bias ply wide-oval tires?

I bought the car from a school teacher I knew - I think she got sick and tired of no power steering. Fun car - plenty of faster cars around. but that's always the case. I don't care what you drive, someone is going to drive around you.

Reactions: pittpa

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
Yeah, wind resistance is weird, it's exponential. It takes more than four times as much power to go twice as fast. I'm sure there is an actual formula, but I don't know what it is.

Rough guesstimate...

A 100 hp car can go 100 mph.
150 hp 120 mph
200 hp 140 mph
250 hp 150 mph
300 hp 160 mph
400 hp 175 mph
500 hp 190 mph
Rough, but also considering a reasonable frontal area.

A small vehicle will require less power. A big one more.

As an example, look at a car with low power but small frontal area and geared right. A normal 944. They were about 150hp, but would do about 131mph (claim is 210kmh).

Going back when the first real 200mph street cars were coming on the scene, the RUF CTR (aka "Yellowbird") a normal 911 was used as the basis. The wide bodies had more drag and "frontal" area. Took more power.

Also, dont forget clean air under the car really helps.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts