Fastest draw from concealment: Which method?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Feb 28, 2017.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Mas

I have switched from a Glock 27/23 IWB carry to a pocket carry with a S&W 640 357. I find it is the fastest draw if my hands are already in my pocket.

But I have a few questions:

1) With newer Kydex holsters, I am seeing demonstrations of drawing from appendix concealment holsters to shooting at a 1 yard to 3 yard target in 0.7 seconds. In your experience, is that the fastest method of drawing for you, also? Is that a realistic goal?

2) I find the 3:00 or 4:00 to be more comfortable, though. My fastest draw from that is 1.4 to 1.5 seconds shooting at 7 yards. Is that reasonable? How could I safely speed up that process? What is a realistic goal?

Rick

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Answering in order:
    1) Appendix requires a closed front garment to conceal the gun, and while extremely fast draws are possible due to the gun being situated toward centerline, they require both hands. (Support hand clearing garment, dominant hand drawing gun.) Because many self-defense situations leave you with only one hand to perform the draw (holding light or communication device, pushing victim out of way, fending off very close attacker, etc.), you'll want to do half your practice one-handed. I've personally found that distinctly slower than sweeping an open-front garment and drawing from strong-side hip one-handed.

2) Your speeds are indeed reasonable. Practice will get you faster, and so may coaching that might streamline your movement pattern.

Best of luck,
    Mas

CDR_Glock, Gunboat1 and PolymerWonder like this.

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Thanks, Mas.

Great point about going one handed.

I usually carry two:
    1) 640 in the pocket, particularly for one handed draw.
    2) One IWB.