Fast TMJ out of a Glock 29

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by dvs6, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dvs6

dvs6

I debated about putting this in the 10mm reloading forum, but since it is factory ammo I am putting it here. Also, I do not reload (yet), so I do not understand bullet loading dynamics.

I have a question. How much different is Total Metal Jacket (TMJ) than Full Metal Jacket (FMJ)? I thought the only difference was that TMJ had the enclosed base compared to FMJ.

There is some factory 180 grain TMJ ammo that is rated for 1265fps. The ammo is only recommended for full length barrels like a Glock 20 and is NOT recommended for a Glock 29. For the Glock 29 they recommend their FMJ or XTP ammo.

When I emailed the company asking why this ammo was not recommended for the Glock 29, their response was "Too short of a barrel to handle that much speed for a TMJ. Bullet Tumbling may occur.....but full size, such as the Glock20 handle it just fine. FMJ is recommended for the G29." I emailed them back about the differences about TMJ and FMJ and if this was something they experienced with a Glock 29, but I have not heard back from them - hence why I am asking here.

Am I missing something about TMJ ammo? I have never heard of anyone having problems with "hot" ammo out of their Glock 29s. Is this a problem with all "hot" loads out of the Glock 29?

Sorry if I am rambling, I am just trying to understand.

Thank you.

dvs6

2. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

sounds like they gave you a BS explanation to me. I would look elsewhere.

3. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

DVS6, things would depend on powder used to drive the bullets more than anything. But usually the G-29 has slightly less velocity than the G-20 due to the shorter barrel length. I shoot so hot stuff in my G-29 fartory barrel but use the Wolff Gun Springs noncaptive recoil rod and the 21 lb spring set without any issues. This helps maintain lockup better and controls the slide velocity for the heavier loaded cartridges, yet it still functions with lower powered ammo.

Besides if those numbers they provide are stated for the longer barrel, you would likely see about 1200 fps from the G-29.

Best regards~!

4. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Who is the ammo manufacturer?

5. Goat 36

Goat 36

Any chance this might be Underwood?

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

Been looking over their selection, myself as well.

Had same curiosity about the TMJ compared to the others.

If it's a problem for my G29, I'd like to know.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. 4949shooter

4949shooter

You could send Kevin Underwood an email and ask him direct. Or his user name here is KJUnderwood. You can PM him.

7. 67November

67November

8. dvs6

dvs6

Sorry, been busy to respond. 67november linked it. Yes, it is the HPR ammo from Scottsdale Ammo.

The ammo in question was NOT Underwood's great ammo. The only warning I have seen with his ammo is barrel ramp support or the lack thereof.

dvs6

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Goat 36

Goat 36

Good to hear.

Thanks, 49. I'll hold on to that.