Glock Talk banner

Fare thee well, my concubine Monica. Warning - lots of pics

2195 Views 31 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  fnfalman
In Memoriam

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· JAFO
15,120 Posts
Are you going to let us know what happened or is it a big secret.

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by Rinspeed
Are you going to let us know what happened or is it a big secret.
There's no secret to what happened. I wrote the other thread about it being totalled. http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=568351

And Aprilias aren't all that delicate. I think that I just hit the curb at the right angle (or wrong angle) and the front end took the entire impact.

· Registered
462 Posts
Originally posted by fnfalman
I doubt that ABS would have made a difference. I was barely going 30-MPH. The suspension might have made a difference though. The Telever and Paralever designs were designed specifically for riding on the streets in any and all conditions.
After riding my BMW with ABS, I would have to concur with you.

Remember that bad road part that look like washboard? Remember if the tire lose any contact with the road and is free-spinning while you are braking? The ABS will automatically release the brake on the wheel that isn't free-spinning. Weird huh? It happens to me all the time when braking on bumpy median of 4 lane road while making left turn.

However the ABS brake is superb on dry or wet surface as long as surface is smooth not choppy.

-ChaZ

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
Can you brake-slide the rear-end on an ABS equipped bike?

EDIT: (intentionally brake-slide)
Yes you can. You gotta jam on the brake pretty hard to activate the ABS. But hit the rear brake hard enough to activate a rear slide is no problem, especially when your bike is leaned over.

A lot of people with ABS-equipped bikes think that it's foolproof. It's anything but foolproof. It works best when the bike is right side up and the surface is smooth. Otherwise, at the threshold of hard riding, it makes for some unnerving behaviors. That's why the BMW GS has an off-switch for the ABS and the same for the R1200S sport bike. I wish that BMW would put an off-switch on ALL ABS equipped bikes and let the owners decide when they want ABS and when they not want ABS.

· Registered
462 Posts
Yes you can. You gotta jam on the brake pretty hard to activate the ABS. But hit the rear brake hard enough to activate a rear slide is no problem, especially when your bike is leaned over.

A lot of people with ABS-equipped bikes think that it's foolproof. It's anything but foolproof. It works best when the bike is right side up and the surface is smooth. Otherwise, at the threshold of hard riding, it makes for some unnerving behaviors. That's why the BMW GS has an off-switch for the ABS and the same for the R1200S sport bike. I wish that BMW would put an off-switch on ALL ABS equipped bikes and let the owners decide when they want ABS and when they not want ABS.
When I read my BMW user's manual. I remember reading a part where you have to follow a sequence of action when turning on the ignition to manually turn off your ABS. Fnfalman, go read your BMW manual and I think you'll find it too.

-ChaZ

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Originally posted by ChaZ
When I read my BMW user's manual. I remember reading a part where you have to follow a sequence of action when turning on the ignition to manually turn off your ABS. Fnfalman, go read your BMW manual and I think you'll find it too.

-ChaZ
Maybe the R1100S has that option, but none of the other bikes with the exception of the GS had the option. I can deactivate my Rockster's ABS but then the servo mechanism wouldn't work and that means up the creek without a paddle.

· Registered
462 Posts
Maybe the R1100S has that option, but none of the other bikes with the exception of the GS had the option. I can deactivate my Rockster's ABS but then the servo mechanism wouldn't work and that means up the creek without a paddle.
I just had mine serviced for 12K maintenance and replaced both tyres. I got both tyres from Cycle Gear who were having 15% off on all of their tyres and my BMW dealership only charged me 6 dollars apiece to put them on my bike. Cycle Gear told me that I have to take the wheels off my bike myself (yeah right... I only have a carport, no garage, so no place for fabled E-Z lift) and they would charge me 25 for replacing tyres.

Today on my way to a friend's house from dealership (Scottsdale), I felt the handling on my new tyres have improved dramatically, another plus for Michelin Pilot Roads!

Maybe you should trade your BMW for a new BMW along with your insurance for a new BMW. I do like boxer but I think you'll like K1200S better...

-ChaZ

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Originally posted by ChaZ
Maybe you should trade your BMW for a new BMW along with your insurance for a new BMW. I do like boxer but I think you'll like K1200S better...

-ChaZ
An inline-four for moi? That's blasphemy!!! :clown: I test rode the K1200S and K1200R last year. They aren't my style. I'll wait for the HP2 version of the R1200S to come out, and yes, she's a comin'.

· Esq.
1,486 Posts
Our time together were short (one year, three weeks and 16,549-miles) but sweet. She will be missed.

I took my Brutale out the other night but it's not quite the same. I might have to trade this thing in soon for something Italian and V-twin...dare I say Duckie or Goose? :shocked:
Depends on the Duc you have in mind. I've barely got in any track time on either my 749R or 999 because the fuggers keep having mechanical/electrical problems. I've heard the S4RS is similiarly problematic. Dont get me wrong, I love Ducatis, but I'm getting sick of them breaking all the time.

The air cooled models are much better reliability wise, though.

Sorry to hear about Monica, bro :(

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.