close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fans of the Jack Reacher books . . .

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fumble, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

I have not read a Jack Reacher book but would like to. There are many on the bookshelves to pick from. Which is the best one to start with?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Personally, I would read them in near-publishing order. Definitely start with Killing Floor. There's a school of thought that says you should read them in chronological order, but I disagree--The Enemy was pretty good but The Affair was rather weak.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'd just read them chronologically, but you really don't need to. Not a lot of overlap.

4. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

Chronological is good if I like them but what if I don't like them . . .

A few years back I discovered W.E.B. Griffin. One of the guys at work gave me the "The Generals." I liked it so I asked for "any" of his books for Christmas. My parents ordered every one of his books (paperback) for me. It took me forever to read them all.

Now I'm more careful about asking for a new (to me) author's offerings . . . hence my question.

Thanks for the replies.

5. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I just started reading these about 3 weeks ago. I decided to read them in publishing order (which isn't really chronological order, he wrote The Enemy as the 4th or 5th one but technically it's a prequel to all the others, timewise).

If you want to read more than one, I'd start with the first one. There's not a LOT of overlap, but there is some all the same. It's nice seeing things happen through time with him, he references events that happened in previous books.

Great series, I'm on the 10th one now. I read the first one as a Kindle book on my computer, once I knew I liked them and wanted to read more I went to a couple of used book stores and got most of them, did read another one on Kindle as I couldn't find a hard copy. I don't have a Kindle, you can buy the eBook on Amazon and read it on your laptop, smartphone, whatever has a Kindle app.

Definitely a great series.

Lee Child (the author) doesn't have the best gun knowledge and apparently doesn't run the technicals by anyone who does as there are a few glaring errors. But not enough to ruin it for me.

7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I just finished the third book (Running Blind) - the second wasn't available in my library. The book was 500 pages - I had it figured out (completely) by ~150 pages.

I don't know if I'll read any more of his books or not. The whole point is intrigue. The only intrigue in the last book was to see if I was correct... :shocked:

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

:whistling:isn't amazing how the description of Jack Reacher fits=/=tom cruise