Family Tracking software. Do you use it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Jul 2, 2020.

1. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Have you installed tracking software on the cellular devices your family uses? Do they know? Can you track them? Can they track you? Do they approve? Do you approve?

I guess these questions are a double-edged sword for me. How about you? How do you feel about people being able to track your every move? How do you feel about being able to track the movement or location of your family? Wife? Children? Parents?

Interesting times we live in indeed!

2. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

The wife and I, being in our late sixties, use an app called "Trusted Contacts" (Android). We are able to check each others location anytime. When we travel we add our son to the list and he can keep track of us.

More of a safety thing for us, no different that OnStar without the accident detection. You can also pull-up where you were at any given time. Might be handy to prove you weren't someplace if wrongly accused of something. (I know LEOs use cell tower pings, but that takes time to obtain.)

3. nerr

nerr

Many years ago when trackers started up, I thought about it when kids were teens. But they were good kids, times were a little safer, and they had to grow up and learn to be on their own sometime. I warned them that if they wound up in jail not to waste a phone call on me until the morning as I'd just laugh at them and hang up.

Now with just wife and I why bother? We're both retired and our eyes and ears are still good enough to track each other around the house or in the car together.

JimWillson, Inyo Tim and inthefrey like this.
  4. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

The wife has lost 5 phones. I put it on her devices by necessity. I have it on my phone in case I lose it. My adult daughter still lives at home. She gave me permission to track her should she not answer. I really don't need to track the wife. She leaves a trail of visa receipts! :D

DaveD, ronj1, Paul53 and 7 others like this.
  5. Z71bill

Z71bill

iPhone calls it find my.

If I lose my phone I can locate it -

Also tracks my wife and daughter.

The benefit outweighs the negatives.

YMMV

SevenSixtyTwo and inthefrey like this.
  6. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I get the credit card bills. I know where they've been. :)

Paul53 and ranger1968 like this.
  7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    iPhone
    Find My

Me, Mom, and Dad.

Mom loves her baby and worries about him on the road or if I am laying dead somewhere.

Dad travels too.

If it makes here feel better I don’t mind.

8. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

With our teenage son, yes, much to his annoyance. It's not to check on who he is hanging out with, but rather where he is, since if he is not at home or school he is fishing or mountain biking. And he'll ride 10 or 15 miles to a good fishing spot. Not to mention all the bears that have shown up recently. He's run across 3 in the last couple weeks.

"But, but ... My privacy!"
    "Dude, we just need to know where to find your body."

SevenSixtyTwo and DrFunkalupicus like this.
  9. Adjuster

Adjuster

I know every move my hot young female neighbor makes. :devildance:

/

JohnnyReb, Paul53, inthefrey and 2 others like this.
  10. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Wow, no.

Paul53 likes this.
  11. slym2none

slym2none

12. longhaulcop

longhaulcop

I have it on my wife's and mine Iphone. To me it saves a lot of fighting, as she knows where I am and I know where she is, especially if we are out and about.

13. Tirian2530

Tirian2530

I wouldn't use it. It sounds pretty Orwellian.

Most spouses would feel distrusted to be monitored all the time with tracking software.

And most kids would probably resent it, too. No kid wants their parents snooping on their every move.

In my opinion, tracking software is generally a bad idea for family use, because it could make your family feel like you don't trust them, and/or are controlling.

Installing tracking software without telling them would be even worse, and could damage their trust in you.

The one big advantage I can think of is that if a family member is kidnapped or lost, it will be easier for the police to locate them with the tracking app.

That benefit needs to be weighed against the risk of antagonizing your wife and kids, who probably won't like being tracked 24/7.

Just my opinion.

It's also entirely possible that if you explain to your family that you only want to install the tracking app for emergencies, and will not use it to monitor their movements regularly, that they will be ok with having it installed.

I think transparency is the best policy. If you do want to install the tracking app, you should tell your wife and kids and explain why.

inthefrey, Paul53, ScarFace88 and 3 others like this.
  14. motor51

motor51

My family has it(wife and kids), it was mainly to keep an eye on my son when he was a new driver. I added my sister to it where she was able to just see my location when we made a cross country trip in case we got stranded in the middle of no where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I have Google on my phone so yes. I use it to track where I've been when I get behind on my monthly reports for work.

16. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

My wife and I have the find my iphone thing installed. I use it once in a while when I haven’t heard from her and she not answering texts/calls. She often keeps her phone on silent an she normally calls several times a day to listen to each other breathe so I get worried when she doesn’t.

17. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Our whole family uses life 360 even my adult children have kept us all on the plan .
    It’s a nice piece of mind and My daughters surprise me or my wife quite often by going offline and popping in to see us .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrVlad likes this.
  18. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

I have my entire family on the software. Especially need it with 12 year old granddaughter . I feel it's my duty to keep them safe.

longhaulcop likes this.
  19. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Got no friend, got no family and no one gives a rat's patootie where I am.

20. picrthis

picrthis