close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Family Pic... very different from a year ago....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Jan 5, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

As some of you know, I had a home break in this year. They took the safe right out of the floor. In that, I lost almost 15 guns (some parts included) as well as all my extra mags, ammo, etc.

Funny thing was, I was about done buying guns. Had everything I wanted. So this year, I'll be looking to add a few things. Really only the things I loved the shoot and really miss.

Here's the family pic, now, of the handguns. So much different than a year ago.

[​IMG]

Since the break in I've added a full monitored alarm system with every window, door, and transition point fixed with a sensor or motion detector. The house has been surrounded with wireless annunciators. I've Added two new safes (so if anything does happen again, I won't lose everything in ONE safe--would take twice the effort). So I fell like I've done what I need to do so that I can expand again and not have my collection taken.

This year I'll try to add something among these:

1. A Dan Wesson 1911 (most likely CBOB or CCO)
    2. G30sf
    3. HK45c
    4. HK P30

There's other stuff on the list... but these are the ones I miss at the range the most.

If there's a moral to the story it's this... no matter how nice of a neighborhood you live in, a safe is not enough to protect your collection. Take it from me.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. mymini40

mymini40

Why dont you put them in a 1 ton safe bolted to the floor in your basement? Theres an idea.

3. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

No basement. But the other safe WAS a 1 ton safe, and it WAS bolted to the floor.

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

That just goes to show that if a good thief wants something bad enough, he's gonna get it. It doesn't matter what you try to do to stop it.

You are doing an excellent job of detering them, though.

5. unsigned

unsigned

A 1-Ton safe bolted to the floor walked away? Woah.

6. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

I'm curious as to why you would post all of your new security features, your home has, on a public forum?

Maybe now, the new thieves will learn how to bypass all of that security!

I'm just sayin'! :embarassed:

7. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

:wow: holy crap...

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Or say "Screw that, too much trouble there" and move on. Either way I guess.

9. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I'm not too worried about it. There's a few other features I haven't mentioned... but if someone's gonna get in here now they'll get me know matter what.

I think it would be better to allow others to learn from this, though. The chance to learn things vicariously is a mark of wisdom, so I'll give others the chance to learn it without it having to be a "first hand" experience.

10. boozer

boozer

In a nice neighborhood near here, the crooks backed their truck through his patio doors, into the guys house, winched his safe out of an upstairs closet through the wall, through the landing railing, fell to family room floor, up into the truck and gone.

I want an HK, I'm drooling over yours. Good start to a new collection. Good luck.

11. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

It's not unusual for burglars to pull a moving truck up to the house during the day, load the whole thing in 30 minutes, and get out. It floored me when the police told me that. I'd done some types of security consulting before, in connection with real estate development activities (my career). But it wasn't burglary stuff. And even then, I knew what to tell others but didn't take it as seriously with my own stuff. I guess that's also a common mistake.

These are what are left of my old collection. Nothing new but the xd40sc. And I was a little lucky in that my favorite gun in the collection was the HK45. So I'm thankful that I have at least that.

Truth is, what I have left is more than enough for HD and carry. So I'm really not complaining about what's left. But I REALLY miss my 1911s.

12. rpf717

rpf717

1 ton literally? As in 2000lbs? :wow:

13. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Mac, sorry to hear about your losses. That really sucks. Did your homeowners insurance pay for the stolen guns and items?

BTW, that is a beautiful Ruger SP101. Is it a .357 Mag? I'm considering picking one of those beauties up soon, but with the 3 inch BBL. = )

14. curriek

curriek

Thinking about getting the HK45, does the trigger improve after you put some rounds through it?

15. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

16. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Sorry to hear about your bad event.They often do smash and grab

Something to consider though is hiding your safe or putting it in a place that doesnt look like a place a safe would be.If they cant see or find it,they arent going to bother it unless you tell them its there.

17. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Ouch that must have hurt! Congrats on the new collection.

May I suggest finding a new place to live if BGs around there pull that crap?

18. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

That's why multi-layered defense is a better deterrence than a single one. You can have a 5-ton safe bolted down on the floor all you want, but without extra measures, such as security systems, and a couple of Cujos roaming the house, that safe will walk easily.

19. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Unfortunately, no. My homeowners only covered a few of the guns. I hadn't updated it (another of my big mistakes) to accommodate my grown collection. That's also a mistake I won't make again.

I love the SP101. Great carry gun, for me. Kind of a monster to shoot with the factory grips, but it's much better than a scandium 357 in that regard.

We live in a ski resort town. Nice place. Most people don't lock their homes here. Many leave their keys in the car and the car running when they go into the grocery store. All the women are good looking and all the children are above average. The lesson is not "find a new neighborhood". It's "wherever you live, no matter how safe you think it may be, you need to take necessary precautions."

Spot on. I just wish I had learned from reading on here and not first-hand.

We've been looking at getting a new dog. So we're going to go ahead and look at a GSD or a Doberman.

20. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

It's been great for me. Not sure if the trigger changed any, because I put 1k through it the first day. But I absolutely love that gun and I love shooting it.