close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Family pet dog bites face of 1-year old girl

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by thewitt, Jan 8, 2018.

1. thewitt

thewitt

1-year-old girl attacked by family pit bull in Massachusetts

FALMOUTH, Mass. -- Authorities say a 1-year-old girl has life-threatening injuries after she was attacked by the family dog, CBS Boston reports. Falmouth police said the girl was playing in the kitchen with her father nearby Sunday morning when the pit bull terrier attacked and bit her in the face.

Her father was unable to separate the dog from the child, police said. He grabbed a pistol but when he realized it was unloaded he picked up a knife and stabbed the pit bull.

First responders arrived to the home on Brick Kiln Road just before 9 a.m. local time. An ambulance took the girl to Falmouth Hospital, where she was then flown by helicopter to a Boston area hospital.

Her condition was not immediately known but Falmouth fire Lt. Scott Stanbard told CBS Boston her injuries are believed to be life-threatening. Police said the dog was fatally wounded by the owner.

The family has owned the pit bull for five years and it has no known history of violence or aggression, according to a preliminary police investigation.

The attack appeared to be unprovoked, but authorities are investigating.

2. JW1178

JW1178

Wow. Not just a bite, but the dog was going for the kill.

Dogs biting is a bit of a problem but not a big deal, and most dogs might bite, usually it's a hard nip more than anything else, but some kinds of dogs just once they go on the attack they won't quit.

I'm not a "exterminate the breed" types and I don't agree with the bans but then again I think people need to understand certain things about dogs in general especially pits.

Mick's Lady, Schrag4 and Dave514 like this.

3. 29glock27

29glock27

A teacup poodle could have prevented this.

4. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

5. NoStress

NoStress

I believe they can never be fully domesticated. There is a wildness in them we have not identified. You can tame a wild animal but they are still wild and sometimes they just go off. There are too many cases of unprovoked attacks. Why someone would risk the safety of their family by owning one is beyond me. My neighbor has been informed to make sure his pit bull is kept under control as I have no desire to kill it. Dogs get loose and I would not harm it unless it came over and acted aggressively but he doesn't know that and I want him to take keeping his animal under control seriously. There are several in the area and my wife just about shot one a couple of years ago when she was going for a walk. She gave the command OUT as one was charging at her. When it got close it could tell she was not afraid and it's self preservation kicked in just in the nick of time.

6. maxmanta

maxmanta

Gentle, loving dogs..... right up to the moment that they're not.

I'm on my guard against ANYTHING that can rip my face off.

Bow Commander, brew, DrVlad and 12 others like this.
  7. thewitt

thewitt

I just hope the denialist are keeping these killers away from their children and grandchildren. So tragic. This baby is likely to die as a result of her injuries, and if she lives she will certainly be scarred for life.

Loving, gentle family pet for 5 years...like virtually all of the other stories.

Oh, and keep your gun loaded and on your hip...this guy might have saved his daughter’s life by having a knife close at hand. His unloaded firearm was certainly no help.

crockett, Jay S., GVIFlyer and 7 others like this.
  8. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

There, edited, CNN/MSNBC style, for our "It's not the breed, how you raise it" crowd, who WILL be along shortly...

9. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Yes, damnit, there is a difference.
    This is the difference.

DrVlad, FullClip, Glockworks and 10 others like this.
  10. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Unpossible, all the pitbull lovers keep saying that they're gentle creatures who are very loving and protective.

I guess the pitbull in question didn't read any of the threads around here.

:dunno:

11. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Why not exactly?
    (And I love dogs!, but for Christ's sake, look the **** around, Pit owners/apologists!)

DrVlad and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  12. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Who here has a tattoo of their Pitbull?? IBTL

13. dudel

dudel

You sure it's a pit bull? What's a pit bull exactly? What percent of pb? How was he raised? Etc,etc, etc.

In before the apologists.

Same thing happen to a friend and his five year old daughter. He did get them separated. The ER recognized dog bites and notified child protective services. They were there when he got home. He could either give up the dog or his daughter. They were leaving with one. His only regret was that he didn't get to shoot the dog. Daughters scars are almost gone, thanks to plastic surgeons.

PB defenders are beginning to sound like Muslim apologists. Not all Muslims are bad. True, but if you don't recognize that some are, and have to be dealt with, you are ignoring the problem, and become part of it. No one is buying the nuance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    DrVlad, IDCG, GVIFlyer and 5 others like this.
  14. Rotn1

Rotn1

image.jpeg
    Meanwhile on GT a Pitt bull haters circle jerk breaks out.
    Reach to the left ..........

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  15. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

I, for one, survived another night as an American Staffordshire Terrier owner. It was close. She spooned me in bed all night. It was probably her attempt to strangle me.

16. F14A

F14A

A truly despicable breed of animal.

The father should be charged for wreckless endangerment..

17. thewitt

thewitt

I hate any breed or sub-breed that blindly attacks and kills children in the home. I guess you think that's OK for a dog to kill a child in her own home.

18. dudel

dudel

We have a killer Chihuahua. Scares the living daylights out of bigger dogs. Her plan is to get eaten, then swell up in their airway and choke them to death from the inside.

Not sure her escape plan is fully thought out.

crockett, itsfun, GVIFlyer and 6 others like this.
  19. thewitt

thewitt

Child Protective Services should remove children from any home with this killer dog living there. There is no place for these dogs in a home environment.

They were bred to kill bulls... and you cannot breed that trait out of them in only a few generations.

DrVlad, Rizzo, Glockworks and 4 others like this.
  20. thewitt

thewitt

I bet this dog was friendly and loving to the little girl as well - right up until it tried to kill her - which it might just have succeeded in doing since she's still in critical condition in the hospital today.