Family hiding in Siberia for 40 years

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mrs.Cicero, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I cannot decide if I am more inspired or horrified by this.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

It amazes me that they survived as long as they did, but it horrifies me that the mother ultimately starved to death, and one of the children died (as an adult) of pneumonia - which the article's author thinks may have killed him due to lack of an immune system response from lack of exposure to human-vectored germs over his lifetime.

It makes me wonder if such a small group of people would, without exposure to any other people, stop getting sick from viral and bacterial illness, simply because they are never exposed to them...

2. gommer

gommer

No. What would happen is they would be MORE vulnerable to these viruses and bacteria. Why? Because it's not the human that makes the virus or bacteria dangerous... well, in the majority of cases.

Basically, your immune system will not be as effective without exposure. So over generations it is more likely that you would become MORE susceptible to these invaders.

Now, on the other hand -- you could also have a reaction to things you otherwise wouldn't. Sometimes the body overreacts.

But, yeah - isolation is more likely to make you more susceptible to these things.

Now, if you were to remove ALL human life from Earth -- there's a chance viruses wouldn't have much impact on human life should we return millions of years later. The strains that survive in humans could likely disappear.

Lots of what ifs, but ultimately - no - being isolated in Siberia is not going to give you some type of immuno improvement - more likely to make you more vulnerable.

3. droidfire

droidfire

...and with all the supr viruses we are breeding from an over use of anti-biotics and such, I wouldn't want to fall behind by not being exposed and having the chance to build up an immunity.

You fall behind now, you'll be clobbered when finally exposed.

4. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I know they'd get sick on exposure to other humans (look at what happened in the Americas when the Europeans showed up with smallpox). I just wondered if the family ever had human vectored viral or bacterial illness during the 40 years they had no contact with any other humans. They could still get sick from non-human vectored stuff like tetanus and plague - but I'm specifically wondering about the common cold... because I have one, again...

5. droidfire

droidfire

Me too - I blame Ingress (google game) otherwise I wouldn't be walking around at 3 a.m. in ten degree weather with wind whipping off the water.

6. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks for posting. That was fascinating!

7. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"just to be sure, she recalled, "I did check the pistol that hung at my side.""

Another problem solved by open carry.

8. OGW

OGW SAF

Great article, thank you for posting it.

9. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Sounds like a rough life...crazy. Cool article!

10. janice6

janice6

Interesting and quite sad.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Makes you wonder if someone will wonder out o the hills of WV or WY or Canada.

As for disease...
    As I understand it, we carry a lot of stuff with us. We must become weak or help propagate the virus or disease for it to a point of an issue.

I will also say that if you lock yourself in a room with a few other people I think you will be exposed as the virus changes, so you will be ready for it when it comes on strong.

12. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Antibiotics do not affect viruses, only bacteria. Over use of antibiotics is producing drug resistant strains of diseases like ghonorea. What used to be a curable slap on the wrist VD will soon be much more complex and difficult to treat.

13. XshooterX

XshooterX

14. johnstein11

johnstein11

Fascinating! Thanks for posting. The ultimate survivalists!

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I believe the point was, as long as they stay in the small, isolated group, they will never be exposed to diseases, so they won't get them, regardless of their immune system.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That was a fascinating read. It didn't seem sad to me.. they seemed content with their lives.

17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

18. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

That was a very good read, thanks for posting:wavey: