Family: FMPD officer didn't report girl out of car seat, child dies in crash a month later

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jun 12, 2020.

1. UncleDave

UncleDave

My main point was, "...stupid people automatically bear no responsibility whatsoever for failing to protect their own child? My guess is even if he had reported it, they would have failed to secure the child the next time anyway." Yes, the dereliction of duty comment was a bit much, I agree in retrospect and apologize.

knoxvegasdaddy likes this.
  2. Sgt127

Sgt127

Conversely, had he tried to arrest her and in typical tweaker fashion she twisted off, he had to fight her, her abused heart gave out in a fit of excited delirium and her sorry ass dropped dead. The headline would read:

“Police Officer murders young mother in front of her child for a seat belt violation.”

badge315, Duramaxsky, pgg00 and 9 others like this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Yup.

4. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Sounds like a parenting problem not a policing problem. Of course who knows in this day and age that’s probably their job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

A snippet from AL Code shows a different view of responsibility...

(c) No provision of this section shall be construed as creating any duty, standard of care, right, or liability between parent and child that is not recognized under the laws of the State of Alabama as they presently exist, or may, at any time in the future, be constituted by statute or decision.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

1- unless they took her child, she has shown herself to be a great disregarder off laws.
    2- dad is pissed so he’s making waves
    3- what’s his story of the mom was considered the best option for the child
    4 - that prosecutor’s decision sucks balls unless she goes after the girlfriend and dad if they knew of the incident.

Apparently ANYONE can be charged. not from the state code, but if true....

https://www.fncac.org/reporting-child-abuse-or-neglect

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

More like dad sees a payout coming his way. He knew what the mom was like and did nothing about it.

Now he will play the grieving dad to jack up the payout.

8. Taz

Taz

So. Let’s see. From now on every person whose kid isnt in aseat is going to get a ticket and a call to CPS. Now most likely CPS won’t do squat, but wanna bet people are going to rail on and on about how cops just can’t understand being poor and all the other I’m a victim crap...

Dragoon44 likes this.
  9. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

Florida is a 2 party consent state for recording. OOPS!

10. merlynusn

merlynusn

I think every state has a horrible child protective service. They never remove kids who need removing and remove those who actually should stay with the family. It’s completely backwards.

badge315 and Dragoon44 like this.
  11. knoxvegasdaddy

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

More and more, policing seems like a big fat catch 22. By the design of people with an agenda.

Sgt127 likes this.
  12. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

As soon as I read MLK Blvd. I didn't need to read anymore. Remember BLM.

13. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

A mexican kid is ejected from a car almost weekly in harris co tx

14. bubbatime

bubbatime

What a pointless, useless, fake outrage article. MOM is responsible for her daughter. MOM is responsible to make sure her kid is in a proper car seat, properly restrained, in the back. Mom is responsible to make sure that she is not intoxicated or under drugs while driving a car. No one else is responsible. No one. Just mom. I HATE fake outrage articles like this that try to point blame somewhere else, than where it belongs.

I arrested a dude for domestic battery years ago. He got out of jail 12 hours later, went home, and strangled the wife to death with a phone cord. Was that my fault? Was that the judges fault? His attorney? No. The blame falls flat at the feet of the dude that did the strangling.

And let me tell you about "mandatory reporting" to Children and Families, in Florida. What a USELESS agency. The disgust I have for those clowns, I wouldn't have called them either. You do NOT call DCF for a simple report of a kid not being in a car seat.

I called DCF once for a elderly man that lived alone and could no longer care for himself. His power and water was off, he had no food in his fridge, and he resorted to stealing candy bars from the local gas station to eat. I called our esteemed experts at the Florida DCF, and they told me, "Why are you calling me? Call someone else." Click. I was flaberghasted. I called back, spoke with a "supervisor" and was basically told the same thing. They have no resources, they cant do anything. The supervisor said, "If you are so worried about this fella, why dont you bring him home with you." A captain made some phone calls up their chain of command and finally, 12 hours later, they "found" a care home for him.

So dont blame the officer for this. The DCF is useless, a waste of time, he likely knew that, and honestly, if you ask 100 officers if they would have called in the same scenario, zero of them would have called.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    ranger1968 and merlynusn like this.
  15. bubbatime

bubbatime

Fake news media headline - "Border Patrol at fault for death of immigrant children. "

Sgt127, knoxvegasdaddy and pgg00 like this.
  16. merlynusn

merlynusn

And that would be my defense. I’d bring up every time I called and every time they did nothing. Just blast DCF and say would you have called that useless agency for a kid not being in a car seat? Especially in any similar type situations where DCF did nothing (mom with drugs on them and they kept the kid with them).

17. texmex

texmex

When you call CPS here, all you get is voicemail. If you leave a message that someone did not have a kid in a car seat, you will never get a call back. They have way too many much more serious situations to investigate and not enough resources.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    686 AR15 G17Fan and bubbatime like this.
  18. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

So from now on if anyone dies and a cop had a recent contact with the perp the cop is at fault? This is ridiculous.

686 AR15 G17Fan, Sgt127 and bubbatime like this.
  19. knoxvegasdaddy

A 16 year old is caught by an officer for driving without a seatbelt and speeding, then dies a month later in another incident.

should the officer report a 16 for child endangerment? Of him or her self? If the officer doesn’t, is that a felony?

20. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I once had these 3 little kids -3, 5, and 8- that were abandoned by their mother at a motel; she just tooks off with a guy and left them, with a note saying she would be back in a few months....

We took the kids to the station and called DCF to take custody of them.....and they refused.

It was suggested to me,variously, over the,course of the 10 hours that I had the call, to put the kids in a cell and for us to maintain them, for me to take them home with me, and to put the kids on a bus to Texas to be met by the police at that end becuase thats where some relatives were supposedly located ( even though no one could make contact with them).....

After I was relieved by the incoming shift, someone else took over the phone tag with DCF. I found out later that eventually they got some sort of upper management person who finally sent a caseworker to get the kids,and place them in foster care; the kids sat in a police station for 19 hours on this thing....

DCF, as any cop in Florida will tell you, is beyond worthless.