FAL SA58 M1A M14 Best 4X Scope and Mount

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by usaheadhunter, Feb 14, 2010.

1. usaheadhunter

usaheadhunter

Need help.. Need scope but first;

Just modified my M1A Scout (replaced the scout mount set up with a standard third Gen SA Scope Mount. As you can see, I modified my Scout to mirror the true Springfield Bush rifle config with the addition of what I believe is one of the best flash hider's (Smith's Vortex) not muzzle break of course.. Got rid of the barrel heavy scope mount and place the third gen back where I believe a scope should be.. Could not get used to the weight up front.. Anyway, just my opinion..

Also own a DSARMS SA58 with Extreme Duty Mount. It has a stainless steel lower; speed trigger option installed; original para style cocking handle, duty mount with optional hex screws, 18" premium barrel, green hardware with SAW pistol grip and original FAL Flashhider, buffer, no carry handle or bi-pod cut barrel which I believe reduces the overall barrel integrity. Probably crazy thinking, but why we live in America. Awesome. If you read this far, I may be interested in selling this. It is NIB! Give me an idea of what you would like to offer given the options. No rush here and I will not give it away.. Just thinking out loud.

• Anyway, Dont want variable this, that.
    • Not going out more than 300 - 400 yards.
    • Would like illuminated
    • Heard that 4x scope is my best bet or what Fixed Tactical Scope and brand with a military heritage
    • Quality is my key note hear
    • Would like to hear from the experts out there as to 1" or 30mm tube.
    • Also what about the American defense Recom mount that pushes eye relief out some?
    Pics of my toys.. I shot the penquin in the arctic had it stuffed so he can watch over my safe!

usaheadhunter@tx.rr.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. Milesmaster

Milesmaster

A good Trijicon ACOG 4x32 shoud be a great solution for the SA58...
    also IOR Valdada TAc. Rifle 4x24 30dia. is a good choice.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I like that Scout/Squad/Bush Rifle!

If you want a really good scope mount, you'll find that 4 our of 5 people will say that the SAI 3rd Gen scope mount ain't it!

I've got a SAI 3rd Gen mount sitting in a drawer in my reloading room, and while it did do it's job (for a while), the backside of the mount got 'battered' pretty darned badly.

If you really want a GREAT scope mount, look at the Sadlak Industries mounts.
    http://www.sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sm.html

http://www.sadlak.com/si_improvements_to_bpt.html

This mount is nothing short of incredible!!!!

Mated with Leupold Mk IV rings, this mount/ring combo is ROCK SOLID!

4. usaheadhunter

usaheadhunter

Dude.. Thanks for your input. I will most likely break down and buy a Sadlack but will let this one get battered around awile.. Maybe I should sell it?? ummm?? Any thoughts about the scope?

5. usaheadhunter

usaheadhunter

...one more thing.. do you know if I can just remove this SA3rd Gen mount and replace with Sadlak without additional gunsmithing? B

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Since you've already removed the stripper clip guide, to install the SAI Gen. 3 mount, you'll need to remove the SAI piece and install the Sadlak version.

Also, depending on how old your M1A is, you'll want to get the Sadlak 'gauge set' to see if your receiver is 'within specs' or not.
    Sadlak is the only mount manufacturer (that I know of) that will modify the mount to fit your M14 platform receiver.

You will most likely notice when that scope mount starts getting battered.
    Your groups will start opening up, and the mount screws will also come loose.
    BLUE Locktite can help keep the screws tight, but, when the 'ribs' (for the lack of a better term) that mate up to the receiver start getting battered, the mount WILL get loose and your groups will open up.
    (You'll get tired of messing with that mount.)

Scope -
    I used to have a Leupold VX-II on my M1A. That is now on a Remington 700 and I've got a Nikon "Buckmaster" 4.5-14x scope on the M1A.

What magnification scope do YOU want???

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  7. usaheadhunter

usaheadhunter

Thank you for the details.. Great info. Thinking 4x fixed.. Nikon sounds nice..

8. Dead Austrian Fan

Dead Austrian Fan

I love the TA11 Acog on my DSA FAL. Technically it only magnifies to 3.5 times though.