Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about $1,500 to put into a new rifle, and I'd love to get one of these three. The question is obviously which one is the best bang for the buck.

I'm much more familiar with the AR platform than the other two. So if I chose to go the AR route I'd probably go LaRue Pred 5.56. Obviously this would be a different caliber choice than the M1A and FAL. I already own to ARs, but I would not by any means mind another.

So what about the M1A? SA has a lot of different models and I'm leaning towards the Scout, but there's also the loaded and the match and the SOCOM, etc. Which one is best suited for multiple-situation, multi-function? I'd use this gun for hunting (short-mid range medium sized game and varmint) SD, SHTF, etc.

And what about an FAL? I've always wanted one of these, just to own one. But I don't know where to go for one or which model to choose. I'm kinda lost. Love the look, and I've shot one several times. Is DSA the only place to find one? Is it a good option? Which model?

·
Registered
874 Posts
WAIT. STOP.

AR Brands to Buy
Colt
Noveske
Bravo Company
Daniel Devense
Lewis Machine & Tool

BCM has been back-ordered since May--that isn't because they make junk.

G&R Tactical has the Colt 6920 for $990. Someone my brother knows bought his for $1700 during the Obama scare and that was a great deal at the time. Hard to beat $990.

If you want a lightweight version, the Colt 6720 is the same thing, but without a bayonet lug, and with a pencil barrel.

You will see two prefixes on the colts: LE for Law Enforcement, and SP for Sporter. The only difference is the rollmark. The LE6920 says "Law Enforcement Carbine 5.56x45mm" while the SP6920 says "Sporter Carbine Cal .223". They both have the 5.56 chamber, so you can shoot either round safely.

I would say go AR, from one of those brands. They are quality, and their customer service is top-quality.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
M1A. You can't describe how sweet these rifle are with typed words. Turns heads at the range.

The Loaded model is a great package. however, the ballistic benefits of the 22 in barrel are not worth the length gain IMO over the 18 inch. I got the loaded for the classic look and longer sight radius.

·
Registered
542 Posts
M1A. You can't describe how sweet these rifle are with typed words. Turns heads at the range.

The Loaded model is a great package. however, the ballistic benefits of the 22 in barrel are not worth the length gain IMO over the 18 inch. I got the loaded for the classic look and longer sight radius.
This. ^^^^

I have zero bad things to say about my M1A Loaded. If you don't reload though, ammo gets expensive. It can be expensive if you do reload too, depending on what bullets you use, just not as expensive as factory loads.

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
check out cdnn's web site..get a colt ..
you can still have change for kool stuff to put on it..
:wavey:

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
M1A SOCOM. With rails if you can swing it, but that's over the $1600 mark. M1A sweetnes, .308 power, compact for SHTF/SD. Saw one at the local gun shop with a 100 round beta mag in it. Pure hotness!!!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
If you can afford it, get the M1A. They are soooo sweet. I also have a DSA 50.61 pattern FAL with 21" barrel and Para stock. These are so sweet too. I had the AR's and knew I wanted a M1A and FAL. I bought the M1A first. None of mine are for sale. They are too sweet to get rid of. :wavey:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This. ^^^^

I have zero bad things to say about my M1A Loaded. If you don't reload though, ammo gets expensive. It can be expensive if you do reload too, depending on what bullets you use, just not as expensive as factory loads.
I'm looking at Buds and even with the Loaded model there are several options besides just the choice of different stocks. I'd most likely just get a black or OD vs. Wood. Are there any reliability issues with the shorter length rifles? Are they shorter gas systems? Are there different quality grades within the Loaded level?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WAIT. STOP.

AR Brands to Buy
Colt
Noveske
Bravo Company
Daniel Devense
Lewis Machine & Tool

BCM has been back-ordered since May--that isn't because they make junk.

G&R Tactical has the Colt 6920 for $990. Someone my brother knows bought his for $1700 during the Obama scare and that was a great deal at the time. Hard to beat $990.

If you want a lightweight version, the Colt 6720 is the same thing, but without a bayonet lug, and with a pencil barrel.

You will see two prefixes on the colts: LE for Law Enforcement, and SP for Sporter. The only difference is the rollmark. The LE6920 says "Law Enforcement Carbine 5.56x45mm" while the SP6920 says "Sporter Carbine Cal .223". They both have the 5.56 chamber, so you can shoot either round safely.

I would say go AR, from one of those brands. They are quality, and their customer service is top-quality.
Nothing wrong with your list, I have a LMT and it's a great build. And Im a big fan of the 6920's. But you wouldn't consider LaRue up there in quality? From what Ive seen, heard, handled, and read online, they seem to have seated themselves soundly in the tier of premium AR companies (Noveske, LWRC, KAC, etc)

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The wood is a much nicer quality stock than the OD or Black. The Loaded is what I have and it's a nice gun. The National Match would be more accurate due to NM barrel, bedding and better sights but my gun ain't no slouch in the accuracy department.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you kidding ? Lol. Very nice guns !
Honestly I'm saying this because I've never handled one before. For all I know, they could be leaps and bounds better. I've handled many many SA pistols of the XD, XDM, and 1911 type, and I know SA doesn't even manufacture some of their own guns. Their premium 1911s are one thing, but their "Loaded" 1911's for instance are by no means the best of the best. Hope this isn't the case with their M1A's!

·
Make My Day
197 Posts
SOCOM

Or how about the new Gunsite Scout 308?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I understand. If you want the nicest of the nice, you're gonna spend about $3000.00 on an M1A. The loaded model is a very nice gun. I am picky and this gun is a sweetheart, for sure. You want the better M1A ? Get the M21 or find a Fulton Armory or such.

The Springfiled Armory M1A is a fine gun indeed.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I didn't read what everybody else put but I'd go for m1a before an AR-10, unless it's an lwrc which is out of the price range. I have three Springfield, two national match, and one scout. 308 is expensive but for some iron sights they're top notch and mine are pretty dang accurate. Here's a pic of my scout, I shoot it the most!! There's hardly any recoil and once you get used to it you can change mags pretty quick. I don't have a clue about FAL's so I can't give you any input there. The good news is, .308 is a hell of a round!! I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one.

Sorry, I must have skimmed over the AR in 5.56. Anyways go for bigger!! AR's are cool but everybody and their brother has one!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 20 of 57 Posts