close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FAL Help

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Roman774, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Roman774

Roman774

So I'm finally pulling the trigger on a DSA STG 58. There are 2 that I'm looking at and am having a little trouble deciding.

First, I'm looking at a NIB carbine with the 18" barrel. However, I also have the opportunity to pick up a standard version of the STG 58 with the extreme duty scope mount that DSA offers for about $400 less than the carbine.

BTW, the standard STG is used but in excellent condition. I just can't decide and I can't buy both right now.

FYI, I already have an M1A, but I've always wanted an FAL.

2. space_weazel

space_weazel

The DSA mount retails for about $80, I have the 18" and I am very happy, the 21" is not much longer but for $400 in savings make sure its a DSA factory rifle, not a kit that some one assembled on a DSA receiver. Compare apples to apples.

If it was a kit build that can still be just fine as long as it was done correctly.

Given that they are both DSA's I would get the cheaper one, $400 can get you some mags and ammo, and you can always get it chopped latter.

3. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

I have the DSA SA-58 para with 21" barrel. I lke what I have but really want an 18" para version as I think it would balance better. I think the carbine is your better bet.

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

It's a money decision, not a gun decision.

3" of barrel vs. $400 is a no brainer to ME, and probably should be for you.. or you wouldn't be asking.

Even chopping it properly and polishing the new crown won't cost enough to force a rethink on its own. Get the 21" and hit the range..

5. hoffy

hoffy

I am with mitchshrader, 3" of barrel vs 400$..... You can always get a para later. I have an IMBEL standard FAL and love it. I also have an M-1A standard and a scout. Got the standard 1st years ago. 18" is as short as I would go on a 7.62x51. I had a chance to buy a SOCOM 16" when I bought the scout, liked the rails, but 16 inch barrel, and the scout was a lot cheaper, kinda what you re looking at now.

6. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

All money issues aside, I own full size FALs and a Carbine and I really like the standard 21" barrel a lot more. The balance is a lot better, and the shorter guns tend to be more brutish IMO. You don't gain a whole lot in terms of close quarters maneuverability and the FAL doesn't really shine in that role anyway.

My advice is to get the standard type FAL and run sweet and smooth. :)

7. Roman774

Roman774

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the standar rifle. Just wanted to hear what you thought of the 18" carbine in comparison. I don't think I can justify spending $400 for the shorter barrel.

8. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

I based my justification on "brand new" vs. kit assy. All depends on what means the most to you. ;)

9. Roman774

Roman774

Both rifles are DSA built rifles. The only differences are one is NIB carbine and one is gently used Standard model which is $400 less than the carbine.

10. Roman774

Roman774

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll go for the standard barrel length. I'm looking forward to taking this out with my M1A sorta the right and left arm of the free world.

11. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Personally, I think the U.S. made a mistake in taking the M14 over the FAL. FN was even going to let is manufacture them without paying royalties. However, I still think it would've been eventually replaced by the smaller caliber assault rifle.

I have a 16" SA58, and if it's considered "brutish" the 21" must feel really smooth because I have no problem with the 16".

12. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

I never said you would have a "problem" with a 16" gun, just that it's a bit nastier as far as operation.

Have you never shot a standard FAL? You're missing out!

This is not just my opinion, but widely recognized:

I'm glad the OP has chosen to run sweet and smooth with the standard length. The carbines look cool, and there's no doubt you'd completely slam a dude coming through the door with one, but they're easily bested in that role by dedicated "Assault Rifles" firing intermediate rounds and not "Battle Rifles" chopped to AR length.

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I haven't shot a standard FAL, and I don't have any doubt that it would be gentler than my 16". A more violent operation is inevitable when you reduce the length of the gas system.

I went with the carbine for 2 reasons:

The first was it was that it was Nov. 5 2008 and I had to get my hands on anything I could before it sold out. The second was that since it is wooded around here (and where I hunt if I were to hunt with it), a 21" barrel tends to snag on all of the underbrush.

14. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

If you rode out the panic, you could have waited for 0bie Juan to crash the economy, and then the MBRs are always the first to go- at deep discounts!

I've actually got a good deal on an Imbel/DSA headed my way tonight!! :cool:

Sounds mad junglacious...

15. whistler52

whistler52

I have both the 16" barrel and 21" barrel (standard length) DSA FALs. The 16" rifle has a muzzle break. The 21" rifle has a flash hider. I've shot them both side by side and I would say that the recoil is about the same. Of course, the 16" rifle is louder if you're standing next to it, but not so bad if you're shooting it.

A $400 price difference is pretty significant on a $1100 rifle.

Putting the price difference aside, I might go with the older rifle. As DSA runs low on mil spec surplus parts, they've been using more US made parts. The US made parts don't seem to be as good. Sort of like the situation with USGI parts on M1As.