close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FAL Barrels, and Gas Lenghts?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by space_weazel, Jan 26, 2010.

1. space_weazel

space_weazel

Looking hard at another FAL. Need some help from you fine folks.
    Looking at DSA's
    1) They offer an STG model and a SA model, one is from mostly parts and one is new(ish) production, I assume the STG's are the parts guns given the price?

2) Who makes the barrels and are they chrome lined, STG/SA?

3) I have an STG with the 18" barrel and I am thinking about the 16" PARA with the longer gas system, I have read some posts by people that say they think the short gas system is too short, would you agree with this? does this opinion apply to the longer gas'ed 16" model as well?

4) Plan A) is to get a 16" longer gas system PARA model and run a low magnification optic, and put some higher power glass on the 18" STG. Plan B) is to convert the 18" to a PARA and go low power again, and get a 21" STG for higher power glass. Which would you do A or B?

Thanks for the help.

2. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Call DSA and ask. They have pretty good customer service.

From experience, I can say that the short gas systems give a short, sharp impulse to the operating rod that is rougher on parts than the longer gas system. The 16" barrel needs to have more gas taken from the barrel to operate the action than a longer barrel does. This is because of the dwell time.

A longer barrel has more time to accumulate pressure in the gas tube before the bullet escapes the barrel. This means that lower pressures in the gas system are sufficient to reliably operate the action.

Understand that the FAL is probably the best .308 combat rifle ever made general issue in combat. But, it is NOT a sniper rifle. A good rifle will reliably yield 2MOA. Most run 2-3MOA with good ammo. Longer barrel equals increased velocity and theoretical range, but does not equal greater accuracy.

For all you ever wanted to know about the FN FAL, visit FALFiles.com. The FAQs and sticky notes will answer almost any question you have.

3. space_weazel

space_weazel

Thanks, I'll try to get them on the phone. I love my current gun and just want another, I'm looking to hit MoM out to 300 yards, I think my expectations will be served well.

4. Kozel

Kozel

The shorter gas piston is the faster you will feel recoil of a round fired. If you feel recoil before bullet leaves the barrel it can really affect the accuracy,