Fake Bushnell TRS25

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by mac66, Jun 16, 2020.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Was looking for a moderately priced red dot for one of my ARs to play with. Found a "Bushnell TRS25" on ebay for $63. Right away I should have realized something was wrong. That's about 40-50 $ cheaper than the lowest price you can find anywhere else. But I ordered it anyway. It came in 4 days.

Red flag #2-Basic black box with no Bushnell markings what so ever.
    Red flag #3-No Bushnell markings on the instructions
    Red flag #4-the windage adjustment screw didn't work.

I contacted the seller and told them that the windage screw didn't work and was immediately issued a refund through paypal.

It was only then that I started looking at the difference between real TRS25s and knockoffs.

1. Packaging-The real Bushnell packaging is clearly marked and larger than the fake. The fake usually comes in a small box which may or may not have "Bushnell" on it. Sometimes the fake will have a "Bushnell" sticker, sometimes not.

2. Looking into the front of the optic, the real TRS will have the laser projector at about 5 o'clock the fake one is about at the 2:00 position.

3. Taking off the adjustment caps, they are marked "1/2 MOA " and an direction arrow inside on the real one, the fake one has no such markings.

4. The battery is held in by clips and the battery cap has 2 "O" rings on the real one. The battery is loose and only one "O" ring on the fake.

5. The "Bushnell" marking is larger on the side on the real one, it is smaller on the fake.

6. There is a registration number on the bottom of the real one, no such number on the fake.

I should have known better that if it's too cheap it's probably not real. Lesson learned and ultimately I got my money back. Buyer beware.

By the way, there are a number of videos on youtube which shows the difference between real and fake.

I did just ordered a Holusun HS407 from PSA, it was $100+ more but hopefully will be the real deal.

Out West likes this.
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yeah, that's common. Usually even more expensive things like Aimpoint and Trijicon. It is very difficult to buy red dots, AR sights, etc., on Ebay without getting ripped off. Watched a video a while back where a guy sent his broken Troy sight off to Troy for repaid and they told him it was a fake. Aimpoint has a section on their web site about how to spot the fakes.

I do a lot of studying before I buy something like that on Ebay and I never buy it from a seller in a large coastal city (east or west). I just searched "troy sight" on Ebay and the 6th result down was an obvious fake (seller admitted), but said Troy Industries right on it.

3. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I ordered my RMR from Amazon. Something about it didn't seem right, so I called Trijicon, and it was determined to be a fake. I called Amazon CS, and they were very quick to send me a new one, which was legit.

4. Velvetfoot

Velvetfoot

I just got (another) one from Amazon for 80 bucks. I think I paid less in the past.

My first one I really liked-you could see the red dot easily in the sun. The later models, not so much. I thought, maybe fake? I sent it to Bushnell, they checked it out, said it was real, and that's the brightness now. My latest one is also the same (dimmer) brightness. Oh well.

5. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Met a guy who was sold a fake through amazon. Didn't know it till he sent it in to Bushnell for warranty. He said amazon was very uninterested in his problem.
    Maglula has a article on their home page warning about fakes and lists ebay and amazon as main offenders.

6. cyphertext

cyphertext

The Bushnell TRS25 is so cheap to begin with, I am really surprised that someone would take the time to counterfeit.

KennyFSU likes this.
  7. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Thanks MAC.
    Your post caused me to get out my TRS-25, bought from Midway back in 2012 for $85.
    It has no "MOA" marks inside caps (just direction and arrow), one O-ring (but a tight battery in the clips), and no registration number on the body.
    Adjustments work, the laser is at 5:00, and it came in a very well marked Bushnell box.

8. mac66

There are fakes and then there are 'knockoffs". The fakes are sold as the real thing, the knockoffs are usually sold under a different, often obscure brand. You can often buy the same optic (and other products) as the name brand, made in the same factory to the same specs under a different name. Or you can buy knockoffs which are basically copies using cheaper materials typically made in a different factory.Sometimes they are fakes i.e. labeled as genuine sometimes they are knockoffs. I've even heard of producs made on the same lines as genuine products, labeled the same but sold on the grey/gray market with no warranties or product support.

9. mac66

When you can make them for $5-10 a piece and sell them for 10x that, there's a market.

10. mac66

Specs vary over time. No doubt you have a real one.

11. gunowner1

gunowner1

I had a gray market Casio Gshock I bought in Mexico. A jeweler explained that many times legit companies make products of lesser quality to sell in less prosperous countries.

12. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I think I paid about that much money for both of mine bought 6 or 7 years apart on Amazon. They both have the features you indicate.