Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pandemic is so very often likened to the Spanish flu of 1918. So here lately that comparison has been stuck in my head. Did some googling and simple math.

Earth population in 1917, 1.9 billion.
Earth population in 2019, 7.6 billion.
That's a four fold increase. 1.9 x 4 = 7.6
Spanish flu killed a minimum of 50 million.
With modern day population adjustment, 200 million. 50 x 4 = 200
Current death toll worldwide, just under 265 thousand.
So we are 199.75 million people away from being in league with the Spanish flu.
Seems like comparing a mouse to an elephant and saying "Well, they're essentially the same".

Apologies if this has been discussed already.

·
Registered
15,953 Posts
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8285279/Trump-incorrectly-states-Spanish-Flu-ended-WW1.html

You know they did not count a lot of the deaths due to the war.

Did not want the enemy on either side to know how many were dying.

It was a tough one on young men. To be a strong young man and all of the sudden not able to move must have been horrifying................

Strength taken away is the worst thing in the world.
I tend to look at it from the spiritual side..........the things that make us strong are in the mind.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
This pandemic is so very often likened to the Spanish flu of 1918. So here lately that comparison has been stuck in my head. Did some googling and simple math.

Seems like comparing a mouse to an elephant and saying "Well, they're essentially the same".

Yep. The Spanish Flu was a real pandemic but WuFlu is just an epidemic. There's a distinct difference.

Reactions: surevaliance

·
Registered
3,270 Posts

For a more precise comparison, it might be better to compare the WuFlu progress so far to the numbers for "Spanish" Flu in 1917 only. Wasn't the first year much milder then the following year? I.e., comparing beginnings to beginnings. Of course, we don't actually know yet if WuFlu will have waves. Nor do we know, if it does end up having them, which waves will be more severe.

But, generally, I agree with your contrast. WuFlu isn't Spanish Flu. Thankfully!! Personally, I haven't heard anyone making that comparison lately. Early on, it was certainly a hanging question. Especially, with the videos and leaked news coming from China that didn't fit their official statements/numbers.

In fact, to me this is the whole point. WuFlu isn't Spanish Flu and (for most of us) we know it isn't exactly a generic flu season either.
The $64,000 question is where on the severity spectrum does it fall been the two?

95% of the C-19 threads, posts, and arguments here on GT are about the different opinions about how to answer that question.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yep. The Spanish Flu was a real pandemic but WuFlu is just an epidemic. There's a distinct difference.
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Yes. The "epidemic" found to be spreading its way across all 50 US states and 212 countries & territories of the entire planet.

·
20,894 Posts

Yes. The "epidemic" found to be spreading its way across all 50 US states and 212 countries & territories of the entire planet.

You aren't much of a numbers guy, are ya. Don't worry, you're not the only one. There are a few other like you here at GT.
20200411_140850.jpg

Edited to remove "ignoramuses". Shouldn't have used that word. My apologies.

Reactions: surevaliance

·
20,894 Posts
Here come the GT drama queens.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
You aren't much of a numbers guy, are ya. Don't worry, you're not the only one. There are a few other ignoramuses like you here at GT.
View attachment 753034
To be accurate, as much as it has been hyped, it is a pandemic, as defined by international organizations, and even by you definition above. There are indication that it has “affected” a very high proportion of the population. Not nearly the numbers of deaths as some have dreamed, but a lot have been infect but asymptomatic , or mildly sick and over it. Your definition Doesn’t give a precise percentage so hard to tell. I will it has “affected” a very high percentage of the world indirectly, because governments have put tens (hundreds?) of millions of people out of work due to overreactive shutdowns. More children will starve due to people being unable to donate, and slow downs in farming.
But let’s be clear, it is no Flu (Spanish), it is not nearly as serious as a Flu(Spanish).

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
You aren't much of a numbers guy, are ya. Don't worry, you're not the only one. There are a few other ignoramuses like you here at GT.
Thanks for the ad hominem.

Back to the actual point of discussion, it has already been shown that you are cherry-picking the only 1 definition that fits your agenda out of 6+ definitions for the word pandemic that were easily available.

Your position ignores the conventions of language, semantics, and communication.

I suppose I could run around and insist that "gay" only means merry and quote the one dictionary I found that proves my point and tell all the world that gay doesn't mean what they keep using it to mean.

upload_2020-5-7_11-20-47.png

I could do that, but what would I be accomplishing? And, would I be right?

·
20,894 Posts
To be accurate, as much as it has been hyped, it is a pandemic, as defined by international organizations, and even by you definition above. There are indication that it has “affected” a very high proportion of the population. Not nearly the numbers of deaths as some have dreamed, but a lot have been infect but asymptomatic , or mildly sick and over it. Your definition Doesn’t give a precise percentage so hard to tell. I will it has “affected” a very high percentage of the world indirectly, because governments have put tens (hundreds?) of millions of people out of work due to overreactive shutdowns. More children will starve due to people being unable to donate, and slow downs in farming.
But let’s be clear, it is no Flu (Spanish), it is not nearly as serious as a Flu(Spanish).
I agree with most of your post, but inept government over reactions don't change the definition of the virus itself.

·
20,894 Posts
Thanks for the ad hominem.

Back to the actual point of discussion, it has already been shown that you are cherry-picking the only 1 definition that fits your agenda out of 6+ definitions for the word pandemic that were easily available.

Your position ignores the conventions of language, semantics, and communication.

I suppose I could run around and insist that "gay" only means merry and quote the one dictionary I found that proves my point and tell all the world that gay doesn't mean what they keep using it to mean.

View attachment 753048

I could do that, but what would I be accomplishing? And, would I be right?
Thanks for having no clue what you are talking about. Just another drama queen

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
I didn't know anyone was likening this pandemic with the Spanish flu. It's demonstrably different in numerous ways.

Additionally, pointing out how horrible the Spanish flu was does not negate the virility of this pandemic. That 'it could be worse' is not a valid argument to take these infections and deaths lightly.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know anyone was likening this pandemic with the Spanish flu. It's demonstrably different in numerous ways.

Additionally, pointing out how horrible the Spanish flu was does not negate the virility of this pandemic. That 'it could be worse' is not a valid argument to take these infections and deaths lightly.
I agree. Nothing in my post advocated taking this lightly.

Reactions: Dave514

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Actually there are plenty of people mocking those that say it is like a flu why shut the country down? The mocker say it is way worse than a flu, 10x, 100x worse. The is that is like a flu pandemic, just not an endemic flu, but a like a novel flu. Well because it is a novel virus. So it IS like a flu, just question is which novel Flu pandemic, 1918-20, 1957, 1968? Someone posted an article from some epidemiologists that compared it to the prior major novel flu outbreaks.

·
Registered
31,818 Posts
Here's another stat: the Spanish flu infected like 70% of the world. This new virus might infect similar percentage eventually. Yet at most maybe 1% of the world has had it and that's assuming 20x "confirmed cases". So yes, we are still talking potentially millions of deaths before this is done, if not tens of millions. That's still pretty bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts