Failure with Tula steel case ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Glock21sf-miami, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

So I have a P365 that has been flawless until now with everything I've fed it. I had this 50 round box of Tula ammo (steel cases) that I thought I would burn first and...

Pistol failed to return to battery and was stuck. I had to forcefully hit the slide and it finally went to battery and fired the rest of the rounds with no problem. So far, that has been my only issue with this gun after 750 rounds.

I'm thinking that it's no big deal since it seems ammo related. However, this is a gun I carry often and it's in the back of my head...

My other carry is a G36 with over 3,500 flawless rounds through it but I have never used steel cased ammo on that one.

Any other experiences out there with Tula steel?

2. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Don’t shoot Tula. Problem solved.

Mine doesn’t work worth a damn with the Winchester Forged steel case ammo I have yet to lose any sleep over the fact that it didn’t work with junk ammonia.

3. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

If you value your barrel, you should stay away from Tula.

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  4. chemboy

chemboy

Have shot a fair bit of Tula, Wolf, etc through various Glocks. The only one that choked on that sort of ammo was my G30S, that has otherwise been 100% with various brass cased stuff. And when I say ‘choke’ I mean a FTE on every shot from a 50rd box!

5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

One of my buddies here on the board got his P365 about 8 months before I got mine. It didn’t like steel case either. However, mine ate that Win Fire Forged crap like candy. Stuff is filthy dirty!

OP, unless you plan on loading your P365 with Tula for SD carry it’s a non-issue.

6. collim1

collim1

A few jams with steel case ammo is not a concern. Tula can be be pretty low quality. Shoot it because it’s cheap and make use of the malfunctions to practice clearing.

7. Bradd D

Bradd D

I shot my first box of Tula this weekend through one of my Glock 17's and it ran fine. It was decently accurate, too. I got it from Target Sports USA for being a Prime member.

slamdunc likes this.
  8. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thank you for your comments! I have very little experience with steel cased ammo... I bought a couple of boxes for my AR because it was all I could get and I have shot a couple of boxes, one of .380 and this one of 9mm.
    This time I also noticed there were a lot of sparks coming out. It seems these rounds are really low quality stuff that also wear out your barrels faster. I'll stay away from it. Especially since I reload and I'm not only dependent on what I can find at a particular time...
    I'm always very concerned about a failure in my carry guns, so your input puts my mind at ease and it is very much appreciated...

chemboy likes this.
  9. Bradd D

Bradd D

I don't shoot bi metal steel case stuff like Tula, but it's worth noting that it won't wear your barrel out any faster. The barrel steel is much harder than the mild steel in the projectile.

10. xds45

xds45

A friend of mine told me his p365 did not like steel cased ammo, so you are not alone.

11. Smith46wesson

Smith46wesson

Wolf steel cases have stuck in both my P365s. Failed to extract and locked up tight. I had to overhand the slide and give it a strong palm strike to the back of the grip to remove it.

Tula and Winchester have been ok in my original P365. Haven’t tried the other.

12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

The only things I feed Tula and Wolf ammo to are combloc guns.

13. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

until you can’t find brass case ammo. Then it’s either shoot steel case ammo or don’t shoot at all.

GlockyQ and porschedog like this.
  14. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Those are the choices we have to make, YMMV.

15. Bradd D

Bradd D

I'm not to the point where I'm going to shoot steel case for 50 cpr.

16. Schrag4

Schrag4

I wouldn’t sweat it. The only issue I ever had with my G22 was with a combo of steel cased ammo and Korean mags. Those steel cases have much more friction. Don’t use steel cased for defensive ammo (har har).

17. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

Tula is pretty much junk. It competes on price. If your gun will run it, great, but if your gun won't run it that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with your gun.

18. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

You got what you paid for

19. porschedog

porschedog

one of the guys at the range was expounding on how Tula will “wear out your barrel”
    My Glocks are fine with it, but I do run them a bit wetter so yes, it’s a chore to clean them afterwards.

20. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

TuLAmmo is low quality ammo. Your gun gets very dirty and the smoke smells bad...
    That being said, my EDC G43 ate 2,700 rounds of it without a hiccup. It did not cause any unusual or excessive wear on the extractor, either. But my local indoor range does not allow steel cased ammo with bi-metal projectile.