close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Failure to FIRE...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MO Fugga, Feb 14, 2010.

1. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Most likely the cheep UMC 180 gr 10mm ammo. Started the test with 50 rounds. First 20 were in my new Arredondo +5, next 30 were 2 stock mags.
    First failure, did not fire. Dropped the mag, and cleared the weapon. No dent in the primer. 8 rounds later, another FTF. Nice dent in the primer. Finished the mag. Changed mags, 30 rounds flawless...WTF??? :wow:

2. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

the only thing i can glean from your description is the "NO DENT IN THE PRIMER". remove the firing pin assembly and clean it (i hose mine off with brake cleaner, wipe it well, and blow it off with air). And clean the firing pin hole in the slide too. Maybe it is just sticking from dirt - someone may have oiled the firing pin at some point, which is a Glock no- no.

3. Hackett

Hackett

I'm thinking the same thing. Sounds like something in the firing pin assembly or channel is stopping the firing pin.

this is also why I hold the sliding pointing front down and brush the breach wall with the firing pin facing down that way debris doesn't fall into the firing pin channel through the hole.

If it still does it after a good cleaning, I'd check the sleeve than the cups and maybe replace the striker spring. (all relatively cheap parts and easy to swap.

4. MO Fugga

Sorry, guys...I'm a Glock N00B, and have not detailed stripped it yet. It has about 400 rounds through it, and cleaned every other time I go out. First rounds through new barrel (6" LW) and Arredondo +5. I'm gunna take it down later, when my buddy gets here. THANX!!! Will put another 50 rounds through tomorrow to rectify the situation...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Do you still have the round that had no dent in the primer? Take the barrel out of the gun and see if it fits in the chamber right (compare to other rounds).....heck try all of the rounds you may have left. Lone wolf barrels sometimes have chamber dimensions a little on the tight side, normally they take factory rounds OK, but even a small defect on a given round could cause troubles. And finding imperfect rounds in UMC ammo has happened.

6. Hackett

Hackett

Where are you in MO?

If close by I can walk you through stripping the slide. It's really easy.

Could possibly make a Midwest GT'ers Range Day out of it.

7. MO Fugga

At the Lake. Drop on by. Don't know any Glockers here, and hesitant to take it to the shop. Don't personally know any bonafide smiths either.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. MO Fugga

BUTCH, I compared the round against several others, and can see no difference. I dont see any setback, either if that means anything. there is a very slight scratch on the primer, and that could have been anything. I don't think it was even contacted.

I pulled the trigger, heard it click, and dumped the mag and racked the round into the snow. No mark on it.

9. Butch

Does it fit in the chamber?

10. MO Fugga

Yes, I put the suspect round into a stripped barrel, along with a few others. No issues.

11. Butch

That was in the Wolf barrel....the one it failed in...right?

With no firing pin impact on the primer, that means either the gun was not in battery (fully closed) and the firing pin could not get to the primer as designed, or....the firing pin couldn't get to the primer for another reason, like it was being blocked by something like debris, or the firing pin safety.

If the gun wasn't in battery, an oversized/poorly made cartridge is probably the most likely reason (other than limpwristing), and the normally tight chamber on the Wolf barrel would not help either way.

Did it ever happen with the Glock factory barrel?

It sounds like you need to shoot it more, use both barrels some and keep track of which barrel and ammo is in use when it happens. If it never happens with the factory barrel, and it continues to happen with the Wolf barrel.....that's a clue.

12. Streetking

Streetking NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol

I have a G20. I shoot a lot of UMC. It's all factory. Never had a problem.

13. MO Fugga

Never had a failure with OEM barrel. I was rapid firing, but with sturdy grip. Used lots of UMC in 9mm and 40 before. Never had a problem. I ordered an extended slide release lever the other day, so I guess I'll find a good smith locally to look it over and install the part. When I get off work tomorrow, I'll run another 50 through it, between both barrels. Thanks for all the help, guys. Glock on...:cool:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  14. MO Fugga

Just got back a while ago, and there are more issues. This time, it was DT 135, and using the Arredondo mag extension. 2 FTE's... 3rd and 7th round, out of 12 of 20 rounds loaded in the +5 mag. I'm wondering if the +5 mag extension is causing it, or the 6" LWD barrel. Both are common denominators... :dunno:

BTW... first time shooting it indoors, and that DT called for "silence on the set" and turned some heads!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  15. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

UMC really sucks. Remington blew it.

I bought a 250 pack and got several failures and about 7-10 setback bullets per rack.... Never will I buy UMC again...

Since that time, I can shoot everything else just fine.

16. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

take the +5's off and try again.

17. ABACABB

ABACABB

I say get rid of it and get a Lorcin. Atleast then you know it will fire even when you don't want it too.:dunno:

18. MO Fugga

I quit trimming houses years ago, my friend... no need for a Lorcin finish hammer... :rofl:

19. MO Fugga

Will do that next time, sir. Just got too lazy, and should have used the other 3 unmodified mags as a controlled experiment...

20. maraf

maraf

+1, I oiled mine once it failed many times giving light strikes until I learnt to do exactly the same as Markasaurus. I thought the vent hole was there for lubrication LOL!