Failure to feed, Glock 34

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cthulhu138, Nov 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cthulhu138

cthulhu138

Hi there, I'm new, and have a problem. The best kind of newbie.

I have a new to me G34, and it shoots like a dream. Most accurate glock I ever had. The last round out of a 17 round mag will not feed. Nor will the second out of a fully loaded 10 rounder. The 17 is an older unlined mag, but it fuctions fine with my G17. The 10 is a lined ban era mag. It also works great in my 17. This pistol worked fine for the last guy that owned it, I've seen him use it before, and it never had a glitch.

The jam is the same every time, the slide comes forward, but rather than stripping a round off the mag, it rides over the rim, and comes to rest in the extraction groove in the case. Drop mag, pull back slide, and we're back in business. It's putting a dent in my fun. Any ideas?

On Edit: Oops, thanks in advance for your time.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Replace the spring in the 17-round magazine

2. Replace the follower in the 10-round magazine ith a 9mm-3 follower.

3. cthulhu138

cthulhu138

Okay, update here. I made up 17 primerless 115 grainers, and stuffed the 17 round mag full. I hand cycled (with vigor!) and had the last one jam. I opened up the mag, and the spring could have looked better. I grabbed a brand new mag with a #5 follower, and stuffed the 17 primerless rounds in it and hand cycled. No jam. Huh. I'll try it out friday at the range. Thanks for the response.

Also, I discovered the new mag to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch longer. And even a new mag has some up/down play when installed. I went ahead and ordered another mag and fresh recoil and striker springs just because it's new to me, therefore should have a little cash thrown at it.

4. cthulhu138

cthulhu138

Update. It works great with the new magazines. I noticed that with the older mags, the floorplates were pretty much touching the bottom of the grip. Also, the slide lock was not reliably engaging on the 17 rounder. I went ahead and stretched the spring a bit, and this improved things a little, but didn't fix it all the way. I'm going to respring the 17 and 10, mark them with an x, and use them on my G17. Or toss them altogether and buy some more new model mags, as they seemed to work perfectly on my 17 also.

So, in summary, really old preban 17's seem to be funky and a little different than the new ones, in ways other than just the follower. Shorter.

5. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Might consider Xtra power springs for the 17's.