Failed my vision test today at MDT.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Jan 28, 2020.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I swear those machines are broken. I pass and I take a regular eye exam just fine but those things make me feel like I'm blind.

glock1097 likes this.
  2. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

The glasses are a warning sign. Stop it now to avoid going blind!

Upgrayedd likes this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

That could be. I was working as a QC inspector in a cabinet shop and my vision started getting blurry and it turned out I had macular edema caused by diabetes and ended up losing 80 percent of my vision in my right eye but they were able to save the left through laser surgery.

If I had been diagnosed sooner I could have prevented damage to both eyes.

glock1097, Caver 60 and Paul53 like this.
  4. lazarus66

lazarus66

Every year I see the eye Dr. and get new lenses. Never had a problem.

5. 1bigK

1bigK

I have always suspected that the state goes to the nearest housing project to recruit DMV employees. There they tell them that they will be paid $xx.xx/hour and put you in a position of authority over everyone who comes thru the front door. Then they tell them that their lives suck because their customers did so well in their lives that they set the bar higher; and that is why you are/were poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glock1097 and Resqu2 like this.
  6. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

You are going to like wearing glasses. Actually, you'll be surprised at how much better you can see things. It will prob help your shooting also...

7. 1bigK

1bigK

Or have they ever dealt with Medicare claims paperwork?

8. ACE31

ACE31

And they are also drunks and kill innocents. Go to a foreign country and try to get a drivers license as a non citizen. DMVs are a PITA overall and are certainly do not exist to help folks.

1bigK likes this.
  9. 1bigK

1bigK

No, not everyone. However the national average for vision issues is age 41-60. I didn’t need glasses until 54, was hoping that my vision would not go bad because my hearing is shot (present from Uncle Sam), but that is not how it works.

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I don't agree with illegals getting licenses. I was just saying that that doesn't mean that someone who can't see SHOULD.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Washington state is not bad at all compared to California. Washington has two separate licensing departments, one for vehicles and one for drivers licenses and it's a much better system. California had both under one roof and it's a cluster**** especially in big cities like L.A.

Oregon is about halfway in-between Cali and Washington, better than Commiefornia but not as good as Washington. People at the Washington DMV are friendly, courteous, and helpful, although it may be different on the Left side of the state.

12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Make an appointment to see your eye Dr.; if you don't have one, find one, and get your eyes examined. The eye Dr. will determine the current state of your vision and if he/she determines that your eyes meet the minimum requirements set forth by the DMV, they'll issue you a card that states so, and this will supersede any vision test performed by your state DMV office.

If you're found to require corrective lenses, just get them...looking like a dork is better than squinting or having to drive right up to a road sign to read it. The eye testing may also reveal issues that you had no idea existed, some of which if left untreated could lead to unnecessary eye damage and permanent vision loss.

It appears to me that you seem to feel that this is an inconvenience for you, re: "Bastard all.."; now think of how much of an inconvenience not having your sight would be...

Please get your eyes checked.

Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  13. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I am sorry to hear of these DMV experiences. Here in SC, at least my local branch I cannot recall a complaint from my experiences with them. I have had no less than 2 steady cars, 3 for my ex, and a slew of different trucks over the years, so my experiences have been frequent.

The help is nice, it's quick and efficient. My only gripe is my fellow patrons! Even the fees are reasonable at the end of the day... though I do drive old junk.

Now I may be jaded having originally been issued a license in the People's Republik of NJ, where if you were not there 30 minutes before opening, you were probably not getting out before lunch. You had to plan to go to the neighboring county, much less populated, to get anything at all done. and it was a considerable drive.

dmv-lines.jpg

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. bill123

bill123

When I took mine, the BMV people were constantly shooing away the Burmese as they were trying to copy down the eye chart.

Paul53 likes this.
  15. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Got mine renewed in August here in Ohio. Girl told me to take off my glasses and do the test. I told her I couldn't see it and it was useless without my glasses. She said I had to do it anyway. I failed. Then she said try it with your glasses on. Passed it easily. Got my license renewed and out the door. What a stupid policy, but I don't expect anything with logic from the BMV in Ohio.

glock1097 and Upgrayedd like this.
  16. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I’m 49 and have been blind in one eye all my life. I had the renew my license in December and for the first time I decided not to cheat on the vision test and just admit that I can’t see out of my left eye. I had some glasses with me (I don’t normally wear them but my wife is in the optical business and gets them cheap so I have a few pair of progressives that I read with)... lady said with glasses I only had to read the middle line and only one eye was fine... who knew.

I memorized the eye chart the DMV used when I was 16 and 18... I had covered my bad eye holding the eye blocker with my right hand, then when they said “switch” I switched hands and covered the same eye... and when they got the little boxes you have to look in I claimed there was something on the lens and as I “cleaned it” I pressed the forehead switch with my hand and peeked at the line I should be reading with my good eye... the last time (5 years ago) I was pretty she figured me out, it was a pretty lame performance but she didn’t say anything.

Had I known all I needed was glasses (they didn’t ask for a prescription) I would have just brought glasses... it was easier than all the cheating and stress. I just have to make sure I have a pair in the car in case I get pulled over.

Hope the OP has an easy time like I did!

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

We have the separate departments/buildings here in Texas too, and you are correct...much better than everyone all together. We have “supercenters” that are all tech driven with smart phone check in and 100 kiosks. They do driving tests, CDL tests, and international drivers that want domestic licenses...well it’s basically a drivers license mall. Too many people. I went to an old DL office in Ft Worth and with no appointment it took 30 minutes.

18. Firecop203

Firecop203

The last time I had a vision test at the DMV the line was so long that I had the letters memorized by the time it was my turn.