Facts on Most Gunfights: What Gun You Want for EDC?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by Themarinedoc, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

You can argue on iron sights vs MOS; caliber, and most effective EDC firearm. Here are some facts to help you decide: In most gunfights average number of rounds fired is 3.59 using a 9mm from an average distance of 3-6 feet as the deadliest distance for police. In a study experts were only 10% more accurate than novices from 3-15'. Thus, most shooters will hit their target when under 6 feet, regardless of ability. If you stand to shoot, your chances of being hit are 85% vs 47% when shooting while moving. During a five year period more police officers assaulted with knives (12.7%) vs firearms (9.3%). Police were, on the average, only 17% effective in shootouts. These studies from Force Science Institute and the Ohio State Police Academy. 34% of the time, simply brandishing your gun ended the fight before shots fired. However, do you want to rely only on statistics? Average 4 rounds, but what about the assailant wielding a knife that took 6 rounds of .357 before being stopped? And how accurate are you beyond 15' under stress? More is probably better than not enough.

glock1097 and fredj338 like this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

Study enough gunfights & blade or impact weapon attacks, I wont carry a 5shot snub or pocket rocket. Just me but I know any fight can go wrong regardless of caliber or number of hits you land, unless you get a CNS hit. Other stats show you will need more than one hit to end the fight, regardless of caliber. So again, multiple attackers, not unlikely today, you come up short with a pocket pistol or snub. So subcompact 9 or compact 40, 357sig or 45, I am gtg. All carry 9-11rds, I am allowed 11 max. Always have a spare mag in my vehcle that can go iwb as I exit the vehicle if needed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

One thing that you can't easily pigeon-hole when tabulating statistics is the mindset and determination of the participants.

The timing of deciding if/when/how to act also seems to be an influence that's difficult to quantify.

It's easy to choose gear.

4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

13x 124gr HST SP is plenty for my needs for civilian EDC. Nothing about the recent situation has changed that. Although, I do have a P07 in .40 (12+1) with a reload in my car as well. But that's not new either.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  5. seamaster

seamaster

In our current social environment 5 shots are not enough!

bgreed, 10or45, DonGlock26 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bradd D

Bradd D

I've come to realize that many people that use statistics to justify their choice are trying to rationalize to themselves why they carry the smallest, lightest gun possible.

Bus007, glock1097, rayzer007 and 6 others like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

the most effective EDC handgun is the one you have on you, and mindset and training is more important than hardware.

8. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

For me I prefer a 9 or 45. Either my 26 ,19 my m11a1 or my Kimber Pro Carry 2. All are the right size and weight for me.

Intolerant likes this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Or the largest and heaviest.

It's not exactly a rare thing for folks to seek validation and justification for their choices and decisions.

I've seen lots of folks choose a small/light weapon because they were basically lazy ... and yet others make the same choice based upon a carefully considered, well-reasoned decision for their circumstances (experience, training, etc).

Just depends.

glock1097, WPGlocks and snowbird.40 like this.
  10. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

11. Bradd D

Bradd D

True, but I was speaking specifically about using statistics to make your choice. On September 10th, 2001, most of us thought that there was a 0% chance that someone would intentionally fly a jetliner into a skyscraper. Planning for the bare minimum just doesn't seem like a sound strategy to me. As an aside, my carry choices are a Glock 43X and a Glock 17 so I'm not opposed to carrying a smaller gun.

snowbird.40 and fredj338 like this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

Its a quaint saying & mostly true, but a 5 shot is woefully lacking for many attacks. Carrying a gun at all is a pita. So if its a pita, it might as well cover more bases, jmo.

13. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Drugs are a big player today, and will continue to skew statistics relative to averages, because of the tremendously high use when compared to a few years ago. Going against a druggie vs the average punk changes everything. By the way, always like your Posts. On spot, accurate and inciteful.

Full Semi-auto and -JCN- like this.
  14. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I think one of the biggest mistakes also, is thinking what you'll need under that day's particular activity. I see it on this Forum. "Just running to the local grocery, so I'll take my .380 pocket pistol". Truth is, you NEVER know. A shooting incident took place at my local supermarket within the last year, less than a mile from where I live, in an upscale neighborhood. And I'm guilty of this complacency myself. Wearing gym shorts, don't want to change into something else so I can carry the gun I would really want to have with me if I was involved in a shooting confrontation, and knowing that I got away with it when I got home. Not good.

15. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

And you probably practice with them, shoot them well, and pretty much have one of them on you most of the time.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  16. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Again, D
    Again, DRUGS !!!

17. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I feel comfortable with my Glock 17 and 18 rounds of Federal 9BPLE, 115 +P+.

My SIG P226 gives me the warm fuzzies as well, but it's heavy compared to the Glock.

ironhead7544, Jdirt and Intolerant like this.
  18. Bradley T

Bradley T

A G43 loaded 7+1 still seems like a survivor to me.

GlockyQ likes this.
  19. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Just saw on the news where a woman killed an attacker with her kitchen butcher knife.

20. fjrdc

fjrdc

Practice point shooting IMHO

BillKilgore, 9jeeps, GlockyQ and 2 others like this.